Save on a similar product
Shop a related product
All listings for this product
About this product
- Product InformationAs digital photography has gained popularity and become affordable for just about everyone, increasing numbers of photographers are demanding the higher quality and flexibility that only an SLR camera can offer, with the availability of interchangeable lenses, external flash systems and other accessories. Now, with the Olympus E-500, the promise of creative digital SLR photography is within everyone's reach.With 8.0 million pixels, the Olympus E-500 ensures subjects are always recorded in brilliant detail. Furthermore, rather than using an ordinary Interline Transfer CCD, this model incorporates a Full Frame Transfer CCD (FFT CCD). This type of CCD has a larger pixel area, because there is no dedicated transfer channel, instead the photodiode itself is used for this purpose. As a result, the FFT CCD captures more electrons, to deliver a higher signal/noise ratio and a wider dynamic range. The photos therefore benefit from greater exposure latitude, more detail and less noise. In addition, the camera is equipped with a special noise filter that minimizes image noise at high ISO values.Incorporation of the TruePic TURBO image processor not only ensures images pack a punch with their life-like color, resolution and contrast, it also adds speed to the Olympus E-500. Sequential shooting at 2.5fps is possible with all image data formats. In the HQ (1/8) or SQ JPEG format, images can even be recorded up to the full memory card capacity when using high-speed media, such as SanDisk SDCFX (Extreme III). In addition, users also benefit from the two memory card slots - one for CompactFlash and another for xD-Picture Cards - which add to this model's practicality and provide extra data security.Operation is further enhanced by the camera's large 6.4cm/2.5" HyperCrystal LCD screen with 215,250 pixels for viewing shots. It conveniently allows results to be viewed in large format directly on the camera without glare, even in direct sunlight and at angles of up to 160°. Views of recorded shots can be enlarged up to 14x to facilitate easy checking. The LCD doubles as the easy-to-read status panel, giving clear, detailed information on all camera settings.
- Camera TypeDigital SLR
- Sensor Resolution8.0 MP
- Screen Size2.5"
- Sensor Size13.0 x 17.3mm
- Sensor TypeCCD
- Lens TypeZoom lens
- Lens For SD14-45mm and 40-150mm
- Focal Length Range14mm - 45mm
- Focus AdjustmentAutomatic,Manual
- Lens Filter Size58 mm
- Lens System FeaturesFloating System, Aspherical Lens
- Auto Focus typeTTL phase detection
- Lens Construction10 group(s) / 12 element(s)
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera28 - 90mm
- Max Shutter Speed1/4000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed8 min
- Exposure compensation±5 EV range, in 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps
- Exposure RangeEV 1-20 ( ISO 100 )
- Exposure MeteringCenter-Weighted,Multi-Segment,Spot
- Exposure ModesAperture-Priority,Automatic,Bulb,Manual,Program,Shutter-Priority
- Light SensitivityISO 100-1600,ISO auto (100-400)
- Light Sensitivity Max1600
- Flash TypePop-up Flash
- Red Eye ReductionYes
- Camera Flash FeaturesAF Illuminator,Flash +/- Compensation
- Flash ModesAuto Mode,Fill-in Mode,OFF mode,Rear Curtain Sync,Red-eye Reduction,Slow Synchro
Memory / Storage
- Supported Flash MemoryCompactFlash,Microdrive,xD-Picture Card,xD-Picture Card Type H,xD-Picture Card Type M
- Viewfinder TypeOptical
- Optical Viewfinder TypeEye-level penta-dach mirror
- Viewfinder - Field Coverage95%
- Viewfinder Magnification1.0x
- Dioptric Correction Range-3 to +1
- Depth2.6 in.
- Height3.7 in.
- Width5.1 in.
- Weight15.3 Oz.
- Display TypeLCD
- Display RotationBuilt-in
- Screen DetailsLCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.5" - color
- Display Size2.5"
- Connector Types1 x USB,1 x composite video output
- Expansion Slot1 x CompactFlash Card - type I/II,1 x xD-Picture Card
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System SupportedApple Mac OS X 10.2 or later,MS Windows 2000,MS Windows 98 SE,MS Windows ME,MS Windows XP
- Battery Form FactorManufacturer specific
- Still Image FormatJPEG,RAW,RAW + JPEG,TIFF
- Min Operating Temperature0 °C
- Max Operating Temperature40 °C
- Additional FeaturesPhoto Preview
- Shooting ProgramsBeach/snow,Candle,Children,Document,Fireworks,High key,Landscape,Landscape-portrait,Low key,Macro,Night scene,Night scene with portrait,Portrait mode,Sports mode,Sunset
- Special EffectsBlack & White,Contrast compensation,Neutral,Saturation,Sepia,Vivid
- Exterior ColorBlack
Most relevant reviews
- lotus112952May 10, 2014by
Great camera. Easy to use and pictures are sharp and clear.
My teen granddaughter is very interested in photography. I purchased this camera as a starter camera for her. She has made some great pictures and is learning how to use the features of the camera. She is 13 years old, and has made some great portrait and landscape shots. She made prom pictures for her older sister, and everyone thinks they were professionally made.
- rjfortunaAug 07, 2014by
Great camera for a budget price.
Finally got to use the camera at one of our horse shows. Just fiddling around with it allowed me to grasp the basics of using the camera. I have no experience with digital cameras. I ended up getting some REALLY nice shots some even what I would consider "Portrait quality". Its a really easy to use camera that takes great photos. Battery life is exceptional.
- liv2xploreMar 27, 2011by
Good, solid camera
This is a great way to upgrade from the standard "point and shoot" cookie cutter cameras that are mass marketed. Having an auto focus helps dramatically until you can get in for lessons to be able to decypher the many terms and functions. Manufacturer has a free software download and good support for the Olympus line. The only downside I can find at this time is that it isn't the most popular brand and therefore used lenses can be difficult to find outside of ebay. Ultimately, you may not make a fortune taking pictures for National Geographic, but it will take you to the next level in your photography without requiring a second mortgage for the equipment. I am very pleased.
- 1124982579@dele...Dec 12, 2012by
Great Camera, now just need a clas on how to use all the features..
I love my camera. It was great to have while taking pictures of my son play basketball. Just wish I would have had it sooner!!
- melhem760Oct 27, 2011by
Great value with a little practice great pictures
I would have to say I am very impressed with this camera, I utilize it for work. I am a fire investigator so I rely on my camera to obtain photos of the fire. Once I learned a little more about the features and settings of the camera I began getting the quality pictures I was looking for. Althought I am looking to add an external flash for my no light situations, the camera works great in low light areas but needs a little assistance in no light (which is what I am normally working in). I would have to say if you are looking for a good SLR camera and not looking to invest a ton of money I wouldn't pass this one by.
Explore Buying Guides
Best Selling in Digital Cameras
Save on Digital Cameras
- $3,138.00Trending at $3,199.99
- $779.99Trending at $996.95
- $358.99Trending at $422.95
- $570.00Trending at $698.00
- $1,199.00Trending at $1,319.00
- $2,689.99Trending at $2,898.00
- $1,139.00Trending at $1,154.99