Brand NewLOWEST PRICE
Nearly NewLOWEST PRICE
Save on a similar product
Shop a related product
All listings for this product
About this product
- SynopsisAfter the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, one solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue Pacific.The crew of the surviving vessel consists of a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orang-utan, a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger and Pi - a 16-year-old Indian boy.The scene is set for one of the most extraordinary pieces of literary fiction of recent years. Yann Martel's Life of Pi is a transformative novel, a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound readers in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will, as one character puts it, make you believe in God.,Back in its original, iconic livery, the dazzling, thought-provoking novel that won the Man Booker Prize and became an international phenomenon.,Pi lives in Pondicherry, India, where his father owns the city's zoo. The family decides to immigrate to Canada, but tragedy strikes at sea. In the lifeboat are five survivors: Pi, a hyena, a zebra, a female orang-utan and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger.,The son of a zookeeper, Pi Patel has an encyclopedic knowledge of animal behavior and a fervent love of stories. When Pi is sixteen, his family emigrates from India to North America aboard a Japanese cargo ship, along with their zoo animals bound for new homes. The ship sinks. Pi finds himself alone in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and Richard Parker, a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Soon the tiger has dispatched all but Pi, whose fear, knowledge, and cunning allow him to coexist with Richard Parker for 227 days while lost at sea. When they finally reach the coast of Mexico, Richard Parker flees to the jungle, never to be seen again. The Japanese authorities who interrogate Pi refuse to believe his story and press him to tell them "the truth." After hours of coercion, Pi tells a second story, a story much less fantastical, much more conventional--but is it more true?
- AuthorYann Martel
- Number Of Pages348 pages
- Publication Date2003-05-01
- PublisherHoughton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company
- Copyright Date2001
- Weight12.3 Oz
- Height1 In.
- Width5.4 In.
- Length8 In.
- Grade From9
- Grade To12
- Age Range14
- LC Classification NumberPR9199.3.M3855 L54
- Dewey Decimal813/.54
- Dewey Edition21
- ReviewsA terrific book & fresh, original, smart, devious, and crammed with absorbing lore,A terrific book . . . fresh, original, smart, devious, and crammed with absorbing lore,A unique and original story, brilliantly told.,Every page offers something of tension, humanity, surprise, or even ecstasy,Extraordinary&Life of Pi could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life.,Extraordinary...Life of Pi could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life,Full of clever tricks, amusing asides and grand originality,Here is a writer with a talent as fabulous as the tale that he - and his Pi - have to tell.,In its subject and its style, this enormously lovable novel is suffused with wonder: a willed innocence that produces a fresh, sideways look at our habitual assumptions, about religious divisions, or zoos versus the wild, or the possibility of freedom. As Martel promises in his author's note, this is fiction probing the imaginative realm with scientific exactitude, twisting reality to 'bring out its essence.,Its appeal has endured, with a worldwide 'readalong' of the book next month and a moniker as a 'modern classic' to boot. The moniker, in this instance, is utterly deserved . . . Pi is bewitching, the tale both nihilistic and na�ve, philosophical and playful, deeply moving while always treading the line clear of schmalz,Martel has a warm way of engaging with the reader.,Martel's engaging characterization and vivid description enliven and enrich this dreamy, fantastic tale,Martel’s engaging characterization and vivid description enliven and enrich this dreamy, fantastic tale.,PRAISE FOR LIFE OF PI " Life of Picould renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life." The New York Times Book Review "A story to make you believe in the soul-sustaining power of fiction." Los Angeles Times Book Review "A gripping adventure story . . . Laced with wit, spiced with terror, it's a book by an extraordinary talent." St. Paul Pioneer-Press "A terrific book . . . Fresh, original, smart, devious, and crammed with absorbing lore." Margaret Atwood "An impassioned defense of zoos, a death-defying trans-Pacific sea adventure a la Kon-Tiki, and a hilarious shaggy-dog story . . . : This audacious novel manages to be all of these." The New Yorker "Readers familiar with Margaret Atwood, Mavis Gallant, Alice Munro, Michael Ondaatje and Carol Shields should learn to make room on the map of contemporary Canadian fiction for the formidable Yann Martel." Chicago Tribune,Ultimately uplifting,Yann Martel is a vivid and entrancing story-teller. An inventive, shocking and ultimately uplifting story.,Yann Martel's third work of fiction, Life of Pi, is a terrific book. It's fresh, original, smart, devious, and crammed with absorbing lore. . . Life of Pi is not just a readable and engaging novel, it's a finely twisted length of yarn. . . Like its noteworthy ancestors, among which I take to be Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travels, the Ancient Mariner, Moby Dick and Pincher Martin, it's a tale of disaster at sea coupled with miraculous survival - a boys' adventure for grownups.,impressive enough to make you, as the old man said, believe in God. . . Martel has hit on a marvellous notion and revels in elaborating it. . . The story positively sparkles with originality.
Most relevant reviews
- junpar_u4fi3Jun 15, 2016by
My niece loves it. Very good book!
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
- pr_liz5Aug 31, 2016by
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- allisonladyinre...Feb 11, 2013by
Slow start, but definitely interested!
Even though I have not finished the book, so far the author's details are a great reading. I enjoy learning about the main character and what has lead to his amazing journey. The first few chapters are a little slow but are full of knowledge!
- cafe*nostalgiaJun 07, 2007by
Full of adventure and suspenseful...
A wonderful gripping and suspenseful tale of adventure ala Kon Tiki style. The first few chapters do drag just a bit, but it was necessary for the author to explain Pi's background, beliefs, family, etc. in order for us to understand the main character in his time of diress during his shipwreck voyage. After that, I literally could not put the book down. I had to find out how Pi managed to survive after many months at sea with a tiger. I really liked how the author wrote some chapters in italics, which would indicate a "flash forward" moment when Pi was a much older man. It gave us just a glimpse of how he fared years later. Pi was a very likable character. Very funny in some places and his way of thinking. The back of the book also has book club discussion questions, so would be a perfect choice. Another recommended read to your summer reading list. 5 stars*****Read full review
- bedestarNov 18, 2012by
Well written, intellientent, knowledge about zoos & animals! Facinating!
My college age grandson recommended this book highly and when I heard there is a movie coming out I had to buy it. I read it and agree with my grandson that it is a great book. Very intelliently written; I learned more about zoos and animal than I would have expected, life in India, a fabulous description of a shipwreck and the real adventure of living on a lifeboat with a BENGAL TIGER! Extremely good fiction.
Best Selling in Fiction & Literature
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings: Deluxe Pocket Boxed Set by J. R. R. Tolkien (2014, Book, Other)
Harry Potter: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Pts. 1 & 2 by John Tiffany, Jack Thorne and J. K. Rowling (2016, Hardcover)
Shaken : Discovering Your True Identity in the Midst of Life's Storms by Tim Tebow (2016, Hardcover)
Save on Fiction & Literature
- $23.98Trending at $27.74
- $12.95Trending at $13.47
- $10.00Trending at $10.95
- $12.98Trending at $16.11
- $11.71Trending at $11.84
- $11.00Trending at $21.73
- $10.00Trending at $16.23