High Voltage Tattoo by Kat Von D (2009, Hardcover)
About this product
- SynopsisFrom the charismatic star of The Learning Channel's number-one program "L.A. Ink" comes a rich view of contemporary tattoo culture, as only a true insider can offer. Full-color throughout.,High Voltage Tattoo is a graphic perspective on today's global tattoo culture by Kat Von D, star of The Learning Channel's L.A. Ink and one of the most talented and popular artists working today. Designed in a style that is reminiscent of a handmade Gothic journal with its red padded cover, ornate typography, and parchmentlike pages, it throws the door wide open to tattooing culture in the way only an insider like Kat can. High Voltage Tattoo traces Kat's career as an artist, from early childhood influences to recent work, along with examples of what inspires her, information about the show and her shop, her sketches, and personal tattoos. The book goes deep into tattoo process and culture: readers can see up close the pigments, the tools, and the making of complex, even collaborative, tattoos. With a foreword by Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx, the book features images and stories about celebrities, rockers, pro skaters, and everyday citizens, including Slayer's Kerry King, Anthrax's Scott Ian, Margaret Cho, Jackass' Bam Margera, David Letterman, and many others. It profiles and showcases the work of artists Kat has selected from all over the world, her interviews with people who have compelling tattoos and stories, and amazing images of extraordinary tattoo work. Numerous portfolios throughout the book showcase a range of relevant subjects, from the black and gray portrait work for which Kat is famous to a popular tattoo theme, such as the rose or biblical images. There is a knockout ten-page full-body spread of Kat-clad in a yellow bikini and seven-inch, rhinestone-studded red stilettos-that catalogs in detail all her personal tattoos on her front, back, left, and right sides-even her hands and head.
- AuthorKat Von D
- Number Of Pages176 pages
- Publication Date2009-01-20
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Copyright Date2008
- Weight30.5 Oz
- Height0.9 In.
- Width8 In.
- Length10 In.
- LC Classification NumberGT5960.T362U6 2008
- Dewey Decimal391.6/5
- Dewey Edition22
Most relevant reviews
- osbotiffApr 21, 2014by
KAT is very awesome and talented! Everyone should check her books out!! I absolutely love Kat her style, sense of humor and her ambition. If everyone was like her the world would rock!!!
- saytorrjessFeb 23, 2016by
Thank u so much. Great book in awesome shape
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Used
- krazeetattooedb...Mar 22, 2009by
Kat Von Delectable- just amazing...
i bought this as a tattooer who is inspired by the lady herself.....and what a great buy it was....from the lovely glossy cover to the beautiful pics of both her and her work...some i've never seen before, including designs and pictures drawn by her as a child, i would recommend this book to anyone, just just fans....an amazing interpretation ov this very inspirational ladies life...Kat Von Drachenberg.....YOU ROCK !!!!!
- mom2tyler*zacha...Apr 14, 2009by
Kats awesome book
I was interested in this book for a few reasons...my son wants to be a tattoo artist eventually and I wanted him to see how hard it is and that it isnt instant fame or money. Also I heard that one of Kats guest artist, Jack Mosher is in it. Jack owns "Body Armor Tattoo" in Kalamazoo, Michigan and I have had the pleasure of being tattooed by him. Awesome guy and great artist. Anyway this book shows great artwork. The only thing I dislke about the book is I wish their was more of Jack (Mosher) in it...maybe I am a little partial due to meeting him and being from the same area.
- eva_and_emilys_...Jun 06, 2009by
Great pictures, great info. Lots of inspiring ideas! My book was actually autographed and that made it a little more special. Very cool layout, very well put together. I love Kat Von D, and this book is a great representaion of her life and her art.