Brand NewLOWEST PRICE
- $14.00+ Shipping
- Brand New condition
- Sold by sissysbookshop
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly NewLOWEST PRICE
- $3.82Free shipping
- Like New condition
- Sold by thrift.books
- Est. delivery by Dec 20
- $2.99+ $3.99 Shipping
- Very Good condition
- Sold by smmatt
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- SynopsisFrom veteran entertainment reporter Sam Kashner and biographer Nancy Schoenberger comes the definitive account of the greatest Hollywood love story ever toldthe romance of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Kashner has interviewed Elizabeth Taylor numerous times and is the only journalist given access to her extensive collection of personal letters and journals, and he and Schoenberger have also interviewed the Burton family at length, including Burton's actress daughter Kate. This is truly an authorized and singularly informed biography of these two larger-than-life stars, and of their glamorous, volatile, and audacious relationship.,He was a tough-guy Welshman softened by the affections of a breathtakingly beautiful woman; she was a modern-day Cleopatra madly in love with her own Marc Antony. For a quarter of a century, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were the cregrave de la cregrave of Hollywood royalty. Their tempestuous, on-again off-again romance, which began on the set of the colossal flop Cleopatra, made headlines worldwide. In this addictively readable, first dual biography of these legendary personalities, veteran reporter Sam Kashner and noted biographer Nancy Schoenberger demonstrate how Taylor and Burton's two marriages to each other represented much more than outlandish romance. Together, Elizabeth and Richard were a fascinating embodiment of the mores and transgressions of American culture, and even luminaries like Jacqueline Kennedy looked to them as a barometer of the times. The enduring glamour, grandeur, drama, and bravado embodied by this legendary duo in many ways gave rise to the rabid gossip and wide-eyed adoration that are the staples of today's tabloid media. Kashner and Schoenberger draw upon brand-new research and interviews-including unprecedented access to Taylor herself, the Burton family, and Taylor's extensive personal correspondence-to capture a time when the violet-eyed beauty and her robust British leading man were the true king and queen of Hollywood. Shocking and unsparing in its honesty, Furious Love probes Burton's troubled past growing up the 12th of 13 children sired by a hardscrabble Welsh miner; of the crippling alcoholism that nearly destroyed his career and contributed to his early death; and the painful medical issues that plagued both him and his wife. It is also an in-depth look at this stunning couple's notorious and jaw-dropping relationship that began while both were married to other people, including intimate details about their sexual escapades, stormy emotional battles, and bitter separations. The ultimate celebrity biography, Furious Love is the gripping real-life story of a fairytale couple whose lives were even grander and more outrageous than the epic films they made.,The definitive story of Hollywood's most famous couple He was a tough-guy Welshman softened by the affections of a breathtakingly beautiful woman; she was a modern-day Cleopatra madly in love with her own Mark Antony. For nearly a quarter of a century, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton were Hollywood royalty, and their fiery romance--often called "the marriage of the century"--was the most notorious, publicized, and celebrated love affair of its day. For the first time, Vanity Fair contributing editor Sam Kashner and acclaimed biographer Nancy Schoenberger tell the complete story of this larger-than-life couple, showing how their romance and two marriages commanded the attention of the world. Also for the first time, in exclusive access given to the authors, Elizabeth Taylor herself gives never-revealed details and firsthand accounts of her life with Burton. Drawing upon brand-new information and interviews--and on Burton's private, passionate, and heartbreaking letters to Taylor--Furious Love sheds new light on the movies, the sex, the scandal, the fame, the brawls, the booze, the bitter separations, and, of course, the fabled jewels. It offers an intimate glimpse into Elizabeth and Richard's privileged world and their elite circle of friends, among them Princess Grace, Montgomery Clift, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Peter O'Toole, Michael Caine, Marlon Brando, Rex Harrison, Mike Nichols, Laurence Olivier, Robert Kennedy, Tennessee Williams, Noël Coward, John Huston, Ava Gardner, the Rothschilds, Maria Callas, and Aristotle Onassis. It provides an entertaining, eye-opening look at their films, their wildly lucrative reign in Europe and in Hollywood--and the price they paid for their extravagant lives. Shocking and unsparing in its honesty, Furious Love explores the very public marriage of "Liz and Dick" as well as the private struggles of Elizabeth and Richard, including Le Scandale, their affair on the set of the notorious epic Cleopatra that earned them condemnation from the Vatican; Burton's hardscrabble youth in Wales; the crippling alcoholism that nearly destroyed his career and contributed to his early death; the medical issues that plagued both him and Elizabeth; and the failed aspirations and shame that haunted him throughout their relationship. As Kashner and Schoenberger illuminate the events and choices that shaped this illustrious couple's story, they demonstrate how the legendary pair presaged America's changing attitudes toward sex, marriage, morality, and celebrity. Yet ultimately, as the authors show, Elizabeth and Richard shared something priceless beyond the drama: enduring love. Addictive and entertaining, Furious Love is more than a celebrity biography; it's an honest yet sympathetic portrait of a man, a woman, and a passion that shocked and mesmerized the world.
- AuthorNancy Schoenberger,Sam Kashner
- Number Of Pages512 pages
- Publication Date2010-06-15
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Copyright Date2010
- Weight26.2 Oz
- Height1.6 In.
- Width6 In.
- Length9 In.
- LC Classification NumberPN1998.2
- Dewey Decimal791.4302/80922 B
- Dewey Edition22
- Reviews"An indulgent, plenty-of-fun book...the authors make shrewd observations...juicy...a good beach book.","I fell for Furious Love, hook, line and sinker... Ultimately Furious Love is utterly persuasive on the ineffable force of 'the most notorious, publicized, celebrated, and vilified love affair of its day,' offering a powerful portrait of the ecstasies and travails of overreaching passion and crippled psyches...","[An] unfailingly respectful and journalistically honest chronicle. . . . Where this book breaks ground is in its ability to humanize these colossal celebs. . . . Reads like a Shakespearean drama.","[Furious Love] is fascinating, heartbreaking, and romantic.",'[A] five-alarm blaze of a biography that enthralls like an Olympian epic. . . . The authors make an excellent case that each deepened the other's craft. . . . A vivid portrait of this...two-career marriage on steroids.' (Philadelphia Inquirer),Exciting and well-written, fast-paced yet containing a wealth of information, Furious Love is a fine read.,Long before there was Brangelina, the high-wire romance between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton rocked the world. In Furious Love, Sam Kashner and Nancy Schoenberger provide dramatic historical insights into Hollywood s stormiest, up-and-down relationship. Every page is riveting. A hit book for sure!,[An] entertaining, blow-by-blow account of the life and times of an epic Hollywood couple... There is no shortage of saucy anecdotes in Furious Love...,â[Furious Love] is fascinating, heartbreaking, and romantic.â,“[Furious Love] is fascinating, heartbreaking, and romantic.”
Most relevant reviews
- 2009scottandpamMay 07, 2011by
A Wonderful Love...
"Furious Love" by Nancy Schoenberger is an excellent book. It's very well written and chronicals the love life of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. A must read for all those interested in Liz and Dick...
- gembo43jimJun 04, 2011by
Everything you wanted to know about Liz and Dick is in this book.
So much has been written about Liz and Dick, one wonders what else is there to say. However, I found this book very entertaining with lots of behind the scenes tid bits. If you are into the celebrity biographies, you'll probably enjoy this book.
- christyjlyonsApr 14, 2011by
All Elizabeth Taylor fans will want to read this.
I've just started this book, but so far, it's very compelling. The pics are also interesting.
Best Selling in Fiction & Literature
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings: Deluxe Pocket Boxed Set by J. R. R. Tolkien (2014, Book, Other)
Harry Potter: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Pts. 1 & 2 by John Tiffany, Jack Thorne and J. K. Rowling (2016, Hardcover)
Shaken : Discovering Your True Identity in the Midst of Life's Storms by Tim Tebow (2016, Hardcover)
Save on Fiction & Literature
- $16.81Trending at $17.84
- $15.98Trending at $16.98
- $59.99Trending at $86.99
- $15.00Trending at $16.25
- $8.99Trending at $9.99
- $12.98Trending at $16.11
- $11.66Trending at $11.84