About this product
- SynopsisThe new edition of this popular text offers a clear, straightforward way to understand the often intimidating subject of psychiatric nursing. Its practical, clinical perspective and user-friendly writing style engage the reader in a learning process that both informs and enlightens. Clinical chapters progress consistently and logically from theory to application. Specific psychobiological disorders are organized from moderate to severe along the mental health continuum. The nursing process is the strong, visible framework throughout.
- AuthorElizabeth M. Varcarolis,Margaret Jordan Halter,Nancy Christine Shoemaker,Verna Benner Carson
- Number Of Pages864 pages
- Edition DescriptionRevised
- Publication Date2005-10-14
- PublisherElsevier - Health Sciences Division
- Edition Number5
- Copyright Date2005
- Width8.5 In.
- Length10.9 In.
- GroupScholarly & Professional
- LC Classification NumberRC440
- Dewey Decimal616.89/0231
- Dewey Edition22
Table Of Content
- Table Of ContentUNIT ONE Foundations in Theory 1 Mental Health and Mental Illness 2 Relevant Theories and Therapies for Nursing Practice 3 Biological Basis for Understanding Psychotropic Drugs 4 Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing and Managed Care Issues UNIT TWO Foundations for Practice 5 Mental Health Nursing in Acute Care Settings 6 Mental Health Nursing in Community Settings NEW! 7 Culturally Relevant Mental Health Nursing: A Global Perspective 8 Legal and Ethical Guidelines for Safe Practice UNIT THREE Psychosocial Nursing Tools 9 Assessment Strategies and the Nursing Process 10 Developing Therapeutic Relationships 11 The Clinical Interview and Communication Skills 12 Understanding Stress and Holistic Approaches to Stress 13 Understanding Anxiety and Anxiety Defenses UNIT FOUR Psychobiological Disorders: Moderate to Severe 14 Anxiety Disorders 15 Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders 16 Personality Disorders 17 Eating Disorders UNIT FIVE Psychobiological Disorders: Severe to Psychotic 18 Mood Disorders: Depression 19 Mood Disorders: Bipolar 20 Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders 21 Cognitive Disorders UNIT SIX Psychiatric Emergencies 22 Crisis 23. Suicide 24 Anger and Aggression 25 Family Violence 26 Sexual Assault UNIT SEVEN Interventions for Special Populations 27 Care of the Chemically Impaired 28 Severe Mental Illness: Crisis Stabilization and Rehabilitation 29 Psychological Needs of the Medically Ill 30 Care for the Dying and for Those Who Grieve NEW! 31 Psychiatric Forensic Nursing UNIT EIGHT Lifespan Issues and Interventions 32 Disorders of Children and Adolescents 33 Adult Issues 34 Psychosocial Needs of the Older Adult UNIT NINE Other Intervention Modalities 35 Therapeutic Groups 36 Family Therapy 37 Integrative Therapies Appendices A DSM-IV-TR Classification B Historic Synopsis of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing C NANDA-Approved Nursing Diagnoses D Answers to Chapter Review Questions Glossary Index
Most relevant reviews
- 1015803912@dele...Sep 24, 2010by
This book is good book to understand various behaviors
This is a good book to understand the various behavior pattern. When I purchase the book, I thought it would give me a perception as new nurse how to handle or use critical thinking with patient with unusual behavior. This give good s/s of various behavior. It doesn't give the new nurse a knowledge base how to handle a patient when he is in crises. I need to know the exactly what therapeutic regrime as a nurse should I says or not say.
- 86741670@delete...Jan 21, 2010by
Poor quality textbook
This textbook was in the poorest condition that I have EVER seen a book in. This was extremely disappointing, considering it was described as in "excellent" condition. Half of the entire cover and many of the pages had been eaten by a dog (or some kind of animal). I mean, they were NOT EVEN THERE! I have a hard time believing that someone would even have the nerve to sell this book. It is the third bad experience in a row that I have had with ebay, and gives ebay a bad name. I struggle with the decision of if I ever want to buy anything off of this website again. What a shame!
- 815329027@delet...Jul 08, 2009by
I LOVE this textbook! We've used it a lot so far in our psych rotation, and it's been very useful. It includes detailed care plans, case studies, chapter reviews, and it breaks the information down to an understandable level. Another positive is that the chapters aren't very long, so you don't feel overwhelmed reading them. Great Book!
- 397332736@delet...Oct 07, 2008by
Foundation of Psychiatric Mental Heath Nursing
This book is perfect for an individual who likes to cram at the last minute, it has helpful tables which summarize the main points and it doesnt have extensive readings. It is a great book for a quick review or when you are preparing for a nursing care plan, you can get your interventions straight out of here.
- amy_nt4May 06, 2008by
I bought this book used because I am in a nursing program and only needed the book for about 5 weeks. We don't use the book very often, but I know my instructors don't like the book as they think it is somewhat confusing. Overall though, the book is in great shape and the CD helps immensely.
Best Selling in Textbooks, Education
Save on Textbooks, Education
- $194.95Trending at $229.94
- $37.75Trending at $38.95
- $51.99Trending at $81.40
- $38.00Trending at $59.10
- $30.97Trending at $31.64
- $47.23Trending at $73.26
- $40.00Trending at $63.02