Counseling the Culturally Diverse : Theory and Practice by Derald Wing Sue and David Sue (2007, Hardcover, Revised)
About this product
- SynopsisCompletely updated, the most widely used and critically acclaimed text on multicultural counseling, Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice, Fifth Edition offers students and professionals essential and thought-provoking material on the theory, research, and practice of multicultural counseling. Authors Derald Wing Sue and David Sue-pioneers in this field-define and analyze the meaning of diversity and multiculturalism and include coverage of racial/ethnic minority groups as well as multiracial individuals, women, gays and lesbians, the elderly, and those with disabilities. The Fifth Edition of this classic resource introduces new research and concepts, discusses future directions in the field, and includes updated references. New and important highlights include: Opening personal narratives in Chapter 1 that present poignant journeys in cultural competence Cutting-edge material related to the most recent research, theoretical formulations, and practice implications Discussion of unconscious and subtle manifestations of racial, gender, and sexual orientation bias and discriminationknown as microaggressions Coverage of social justice counseling Content on minority group therapists Attention to counseling and special circumstances involving racial/ethnic populations With its unique conceptual framework for multicultural therapy, Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice, Fifth Edition remains the best source of real-world counseling preparation for students as well as the most enlightened, influential guide for professionals.
- AuthorDavid Sue,Derald Wing Sue
- Number Of Pages576 pages
- Edition DescriptionRevised
- Publication Date2007-08-10
- PublisherWiley & Sons, Incorporated, John
- Edition Number5
- Copyright Date2008
- Weight41.1 Oz
- Height1.3 In.
- Width7.9 In.
- Length9.6 In.
- GroupScholarly & Professional
- LC Classification NumberBF637.C6S85 2007
- Dewey Decimal158.3
- Dewey Edition23
Table Of Content
- Table Of ContentPreface.SECTION I: THE MULTIPLE DIMENSIONS OF MULTICULTURAL COUNSELING AND THERAPY.PART I: THE AFFECTIVE AND CONCEPTUAL DIMENSIONS OF MULTIUCLTURAL COUNSELING AND THERAPY.Chapter 1. The Multicultural Journey to Cultural Competence: Personal Narratives.Chapter 2. The Superordinate Nature of Multicultural Counseling and Therapy.PART II: THE POLITICAL DIMENSIONS OF MENTAL HEALTH PRACTICE.Chapter 3. The Politics of Counseling and Psychotherapy.Chapter 4. Sociopolitical Considerations of Trust and Mistrust in Multicultural Counseling/Therapy.Chapter 5. Racial, Gender and Sexual Orientation Microaggressions: Implications for Counseling and Psychotherapy.PART III: THE PRACTICE DIMENSIONS OF MULTICULTURALCOUNSELING/THERAPY.Chapter 6. Barriers To Effective Multicultural Counseling/Therapy.Chapter 7. Culturally Appropriate Intervention Strategies.Chapter 8. Multicultural Family Counseling/Therapy.Chapter 9. Nonwestern And Indigenous Methods Of Healing.PART IV: WORLDVIEW DIMENSIONS IN MULTICULTURAL COUNSELING/THERAPY.Chapter 10. Racial/Cultural Identity Development: Therapeutic Implications.Chapter 11. White Racial Identity Development: Therapeutic Implications.PART V: SOCIAL JUSTICE DIMENSIONS IN COUNSELING/THERAPY.Chapter 12. Social Justice Counseling/Therapy.SECTION II: MULTICULTURAL COUNSELING AND SPECIFIC POPULATIONS.PART VI: COUNSELING AND THERAPY INVOLVING MINORITY GROUP COUNSELORS/THERAPISTS.Chapter 13. Minority Group Therapists: Working With Majority And Other Minority Clients..PART VII: COUNSELING AND THERAPY WITH RACIAL/ETHNIC MINORITY POPULATIONS.Chapter 14. Counseling African Americans.Chapter 15. Counseling American Indians and Alaskan Natives.Chapter 16. Counseling Asian Americans.Chapter 17. Counseling Hispanic/Latino Americans.Chapter 18. Counseling Multiracial Descent Persons.PART VIII: COUNSELING AND SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES INVOLVING RACIAL/ETHNIC POPULATIONS.Chapter 19. Counseling Arab Americans.Chapter 20. Counseling Jewish Americans.Chapter 21. Counseling Immigrants.Chapter 22. Counseling Refugees.PART IX: COUNSELING AND THERAPY WITH OTHER MULTICULTURAL POPULATIONS.Chapter 23. Counseling Sexual Minorities.Chapter 24. Counseling Older Adults.Chapter 25. Counseling Women.Chapter 26. Counseling Persons With Disabilities.References.Author Index.Subject Index.
Most relevant reviews
- 501318365@delet...Feb 07, 2012by
Need it for school
I appreciate the timely way it was sent to me. very quick!
It was necessary for me to have for my class. So far the book is like a regular textbook :)
- shekyjakeMar 28, 2016Verified purchase - USEDby
Still not here
I ordered this the first of Feb. it is now the end of march and I still have not received it.
- tcandacekFeb 07, 2012by
counseling the culturally diverse
I purchased this product for my psych class. I just started readying it, its isn't very difficult, it is however interesting and i think can give people of european american background a good insight on how people of color perceive the world and the difficulties they face.
- sharont931Mar 04, 2009by
Counseling the Culturally Diverse
A great book to have in your arsenal if you are considering any work that deals with the public. I am a Psychology major and it is a valuable tool for all my classes and my future career.
- yolandita65Jan 26, 2009by
Good text and information for diversity counseling
I like the this book because is a good resource to my classes and helps me a lot about diversity, the examples are very specifics and it is update about our currently days, diversity in all of ways, not just race a skin color.... much of diversity that you never thought.