Content Area Reading : Literacy and Learning Across the Curriculum, MyLabSchool Edition by Richard T. Vacca and Jo Anne L. Vacca (2004, Hardcover / Mixed Media, Revised)
Top Selling in Textbooks, Education
Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing by Smeltzer, Kerry H. Cheever and Janice L. Hinkle (2013, Hardcover, Revised)
Great Prices on Textbooks, Education
- $44.95Trending at $47.95
- $54.99Trending at $57.86
- $31.00Trending at $34.50
- $28.50Trending at $29.00
- $139.87Trending at $270.11
- $194.95Trending at $261.19
- $89.40Trending at $93.79
About this product
- SynopsisCelebrating its 25th anniversary, Content Area Reading remains the market-leading text in content literacy and maintains the authors' original objectiveto offer an ambitious, coherent, and workable exploration of content literacy. With the underlying belief that students learn with texts, not necessarily from them, this respected text is designed to be an active learning tool, complete with real-world examples and research-based practices. Thoroughly updated and revised to incorporate topics that touch on contemporary issues such as content standards, assessment, diversity, struggling readers, the No Child Left Behind Legislation and Reading First, respected authors Rich Vacca and JoAnne Vacca continue to provide a framework that focuses on the ability to use reading, writing, speaking, and listening processes to learn subject matter across the curriculum. Accessible and comprehensible, this text takes students through the entire reading process using simple, jargon-free terminology. The methodology presented develops a foundation that can be applied across disciplines, meeting the needs of all students.
- AuthorJo Anne L. Vacca,Richard T. Vacca
- Number Of Pages496 pages
- Edition DescriptionRevised
- FormatHardcover / Mixed Media
- Publication Date2004-12-01
- PublisherAllyn & Bacon, Incorporated
- Edition Number8
- Copyright Date2005
- Weight33.5 Oz
- Height0.9 In.
- Width7.7 In.
- Length9.4 In.
- GroupCollege Audience
- LC Classification NumberLB1050.455
- Dewey Decimal428.4/3
Table Of Content
- Table Of ContentMost chapters begin with Organizing Principle, Graphic Organizer, and Frame of Mind and conclude with Looking Back, Looking Forward, Minds-On, Hands-On, and eResources. 1. Reading Matters. Being an Artful Teacher. Understanding Literacy. Text Comprehension in Content Areas. Scaffolding Instruction. 2. Assessing Students and Texts. High-Stakes Testing and Authentic Approaches to Assessment. Portfolio Assessment. Assessing Text Difficulty. 3. Struggling Readers and Writers. The Consequences of Struggling With Text. Explicit Instruction in the Use of Strategies. Strategic Reading. Strategic Writing. 4. Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners. Cultural Differences in Today's Schools. Linguistic Differences in Today's Schools. Vocabulary Strategies. Comprehension Strategies. Talking and Working Together. 5. Learning with Trade Books. Textbook Use in Today's Classrooms. Rationale for Using Trade Books. Learning Through Literature. Using Trade Books in the Classroom. Promoting Response to Literature. 6. Learning with Electronic Texts. Rational for Electronic Texts. Electronic Texts in the Classroom. Strategies for Online Learning. 7. Bringing Students and Texts Together. Sociocultural Context for Reading Comprehension. Designing and Planning Text Lessons. Designing and Planning Units of Study. Designing and Planning Collaborative Interactions. 8. Developing Vocabulary Knowledge and Concepts. Experiences, Concepts, and Words. Using Graphic Organizers to Make Connections Among Key Concepts. Activating What Students Know About Words. Reinforcing and Extending Vocabulary Knowledge and Concepts. 9. Activating Prior Knowledge and Interest. Self-Efficacy and Motivation. Arousing Curiosity. Making Predictions. Question Generation. 10. Guiding Reader-Text Interactions. Instructional Strategies. Reading Guides. 11. Writing to Learn. Integrating Reading and Writing. Exploratory Writing Activities. Journal Writing. RAFTing Activities. 12. Studying Texts. Searching for and Using Text Structure. Study Guides Based on Text Patterns. Writing Summaries. Making Notes, Taking Notes.
Most relevant reviews
- i.m.funJun 09, 2006by
This, like the Vacca's other textbooks, is a great reference tool for literacy strategies. I bought it for a class I am taking, but I'm keeping it for the great information about facilitating comprehension in content area text. I have definitely learned alot from this textbook.
- singing_angel_n...Oct 02, 2006by
Lots of information but...
I personally am not a huge fan of this book. I think a lot of it could be a lot more concise. Though the information is good, I find my mind drifting reading it. Most of the time I end up skimming it because they just use a lot of words that, to me, just aren't necessary.
- thriftythreads9...Sep 03, 2006by
Content Area Reading
I need this book for a Master's class (Education) but I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve their knowledge bas of effective tactics for helping learn more from their reading. It was pretty costly, but it came with a CD-Rom resource as well.
- yembalJul 05, 2006by
I bought it because it was class requirment
It is a good and it required for my class. Very informative and deals directly with the class it was boguht for. Also the book will help be to be a better teacher.
- 307373096@delet...Dec 07, 2006by
Content Area Reading
I would like to give a better rating, but I never received the book! I have filed a claim, but have not heard anythin further.