About this product
- SynopsisComprehensive Spanish (L.A.) I includes 30 lessons of essential grammar and vocabulary -- 16 hours of real-life spoken practice sessions -- plus an introduction to reading. Upon completion of this Level I program, you will have functional spoken proficiency with the most-frequently-used vocabulary and grammatical structures. You will be able to: * initiate and maintain face-to-face conversations, * deal with every day situations -- ask for information, directions, and give basic information about yourself and family, * communicate basic information on informal topics and participate in casual conversations, * avoid basic cultural errors and handle minimum courtesy and travel requirements, * satisfy personal needs and limited social demands, * establish rapport with strangers in foreign countries, * begin reading and sounding out items with native-like pronunciation.,Spanish is the official language of Spain and 21 Latin American countries, and is an official language of the U.N. Pimsleur's Spanish teaches an educated Latin American Spanish, with speakers from Colombia and Argentina in levels I-III, and from Mexico in level IV. The Pimsleur Method: the easiest, fastest way to learn a new language. Completely portable, easily downloadable, and lots of fun. You'll be speaking and understanding in no time flat! Spanish I, Comprehensive includes 15 hours of spoken language practice and one hour of reading instruction in thirty, 30-minute lessons. In the first 10 lessons, you'll cover the basics: saying hello, asking for or giving information, scheduling a meal or a meeting, asking for or giving basic directions, and much more. You'll be able to handle minimum courtesy requirements, understand much of what you hear, and be understood at a beginning level, but with nearnative pronunciation skills. In the next 10 lessons, you'll build on what you've learned. Expand your menu, increase your scheduling abilities from general to specific, start to deal with currency and exchanging money, refine your conversations and add over a hundred new vocabulary items. You'll understand more of what you hear, and be able to participate with speech that is smoother and more confident. In the final 10 lessons, you'll be speaking and understanding at an intermediate level. In this phase, more directions are given in the target language, which moves your learning to a whole new plane. Lessons include shopping, visiting friends, going to a restaurant, plans for the evening, car trips, and talking about family. You'll be able to speak comfortably about things that happened in the past and make plans for the future. Reading Lessons are included at the end of Unit 30 to provide you with an introduction to reading Spanish. These lessons, which total about one hour, are designed to teach you to sound out words with correct pronunciation and accent. A Reading Booklet to be used with the audio lessons is also included in PDF format.
- AuthorPimsleur Staff
- Edition DescriptionUnabridged
- Publication Date2002-04-01
- Number of Volumes16 vols.
- Edition Number2
- Copyright Date2002
- Weight40.4 Oz
- Height1.6 In.
- Width12.5 In.
- Length11 In.
Most relevant reviews
- nystreetsJul 26, 2016by
The Pimsleur method is the best!
The Pimsleur method is the best method that I have found for learning and retaining a new language.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- amosgraciusSep 27, 2016by
GREAT TOOL TO LEARN A SECOND LANGUAGE.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
- mivida71Jun 22, 2016by
Enjoying the product.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
- edwardvoyceFeb 03, 2013by
Awesome product and an excellent and easy way to learn Spanish get it!!!!!!
I listen to the CD's in my car coming from and going to work. There very easy to listen to and learn from. I'm on the last CD in the Spanish 1 set and I'm almost ready to buy the entire Spanish 2 set which will be soon. It takes me maybe a week or two to learn the entire CD before moving to the next CD. They recommend learning at least 80% before moving to the next CD but I'm a little anal if you will and like to be around 95-100% which again is just me before moving on. I'm also completely confident that I have learned a great amount of Spanish already in the Spanish 1 set and I know I will continue to enjoy learning more from the rest of the set's as I master them and the Spanish language. I would absolutely recommend the Pimsleur Spanish to anyone who is considering learning Spanish. Excellent way to learn. Just pop in a CD in your car or where ever and start learning!Read full review
- 1nomiedogMay 15, 2012by
Read, listen, and repeat work much better than just listen and repeat..
Audio-only language studies are very difficult, as varying means and methods of speaking can arise from the same speaker from lesson to lesson. However, learning a new alphabet poses no problem for anyone willing to learn a new language. In order to clearly perceive various nuances unique to each language, a transcript of each lesson should be made available to the student, written in the language being studied. Pimsleur boasts that no written material need accompany the tongue being studied, but that is a ridiculous assumption and declaration. Students are forced to try and locate dictionaries and phrase books, so that they can generate and study word and phrase lists during the day. Some language packs do include word lists, but these lists, numbered by lesson, do not reflect the lesson material. They are just random words, printed in small booklets. That is, those word lists contain words, but not those being used in the lessons. I have tried several different Pimsleur language kits, and have found them lacking, solely due to the absence of any useful written word and phrase lists. What a shame, that such an expensive package lacks the basic necessities that would make learning a pleasure, rather than a chore. For the above noted reason, I must give only three stars to this otherwise well-thought-out enterprise.Read full review
Explore Buying Guides
Best Selling in Textbooks, Education
Save on Textbooks, Education
- $36.97Trending at $63.77
- $13.99Trending at $16.43
- $194.95Trending at $233.45
- $11.78Trending at $11.93
- $51.99Trending at $81.40
- $18.51Trending at $20.59
- $40.26Trending at $59.10