Top Selling in Flashes
Great Prices on Flashes
- $63.98Trending at $64.98
- $60.79Trending at $78.00
- $87.90Trending at $89.99
- $66.00Trending at $73.98
- $57.99Trending at $58.98
- $499.00Trending at $579.00
- $61.89Trending at $65.59
About this product
- DescriptionFully-compatible with EOS Canon cameras, Canon 550EX is the perfect photographic accessory that's powerful enough and easy to use at the same time. The refined E-TTL automatic flash will significantly improve the performance of just about every Canon camera, enabling amateurs to take spectacular pictures regardless of the conditions. With a built-in wireless transmitter, this Canon speedlight flash can be used as a slave unit. The flash coverage is set automatically so that you don't have to worry about getting it right. For added practical appeal, the shoe mount flash can be powered by standard AA batteries or powered by an external energy source like a compact battery pack.
- Guide Number100 ft/ISO 100
- Lens Coverage24mm - 105mm
- Supported Exposure ControlE-TTL,FP Flash,TTL
- Compatible BrandFor Canon
- Vertical Rotation Angle+90 / -7
- Horizontal Rotation Angle+180 / -90
- Min Flash Duration1.2 ms
- Max Flash Duration2.3 ms
- ZoomAutomatic and Manual
- Manual Power Control Levels1/1,1/128,1/16,1/2,1/32,1/4,1/64,1/8
- Additional FeaturesAF illuminator,Flash +/- compensation,Flash exposure bracketing,Illuminated LCD display,Modeling flash capability,Wireless off-camera control
- Required Battery4 x battery - AA type
- Width3.15 in.
- Height5.43 in.
- Depth4.41 in.
- Weight14.29 oz
Most relevant reviews
- 1badgmcFeb 02, 2013by
Most of the performance of a 580EXII at a fraction of the price.
I wanted a second flash for my 40D that could be used as a master to control my 430EXII, but I'm just a hobbyist and not a pro, so spending $400-500 for the 580EXII was way out of my budget. After a little looking around, I heard the 550EX performed nearly as well as the 580EXII for a mere fraction of the price.
I picked one up that is as good as new and it works just as it should. I haven't done a lot with it yet, but it works great and does the job of controlling my 430EXII just as it should.
The battery door is a little awkward versus the newer Speedlites, but it's not that big of a deal to me. The 580EXII is also said to have a longer battery life and recharge time over the 550EX, but for my usage, it doesn't hinder me any.
The 550EX has a release button for the tilt and another for the swivel functions of the head. The later 430 and 580 Speedlites have a single button for both tilt and swivel. Being used to my 430EXII, I keep forgetting about the different swivel button when I'm using the 550EX.
I also prefer the lock for the mount of the later Speedlites over this 550EX. The 430EXII and 580EXII have a "lever" that you slide to lock it onto the mount and a simple button to unlock and then slide the lever to release. The 550EX (and 580EX) have a wheel that you turn to screw it tight. Again, it's just a minor niggle.
The cons of this 550EX Speedlite vs. a 580EXII are really very small and do nothing to hinder the overall performance of this flash. Aside from a slightly shorter battery life, they're all basically just ergonomic nags. If you're a low-budget hobbyist or even a budding professional just starting out and need a reasonably priced master flash or just an additional flash for your collection, the 550EX is a worthy alternative to the 580EXII.Read full review
- docsharkJan 03, 2014by
Fantastic flash. Why not? It's a Canon.
My photography is mainly nature - fungi, ferns, wildflowers etc. However my main focus is dragon and damselflies. With the setup that I currently employ I was getting very good shots but when I needed a fill flash to eliminate the shadow under the dragons on very sunny days the built in flash could not shoot around the lens and 63mm of extension tubes. This puts the flash above the lens and fills the area under the subject very well.
I can't compare this product to other flashes because it is the first flash I have used for this type of shooting.
- 1003kidsApr 04, 2016by
550EX will do th job.
When looking for a nice strobe the Canon 550 EX Speed-lite will do the job, it has great out put of light and It has fast recycle.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- niral1186Feb 15, 2014by
This is a great flash.Awsome product and great value.
I use this flash for my canon EOS20D. I use it as a primary for my Canon EOS 20D and use my Canon 430EX as a slave. This flash makes the pictures much sharper as it more powerful. The battery life is great and can take numerous pictures without suffering loss of power.
- craig.scottAug 04, 2015by
The Cannon Speedlite 550EX Shoe Mount Flash does everything you would expect from a dedicated flash gun and more. The unit which can also perform wirelessly by remote offers excellent lighting to enhance the creativity and composition of your shots.