About this product
- SynopsisA radical synthesis of science and personal experience that advocates a sea change in the way we understand and confront cancer When David Servan- Schreiber, a dedicated scientist and doctor, was diagnosed with brain cancer, it changed his life. Confronting what medicine knows about the illness, the little known workings of the body�s natural cancer-fighting capacities, and his own will to live, Servan-Schreiber found himself on a fifteen-year journey from disease and relapse into scientific exploration, and finally to health. Combining memoir with a clear explanation of what makes cancer cells thrive and what inhibits them, and describing both conventional and alternative ways to slow and prevent cancer, Anticanceris revolutionary in its clarity. It is a moving story of a doctor�s inner and outer search for healing; radical in its discussion of the environment, lifestyle, and trauma; and inspiring and cautionary in its certainty that cancer cells lie dormant in all of us�and we all must care for the terrain� in which they exist. Anticancertakes us on a serious journey and, ultimately, an empowering one. In the tradition of Michael Pollan, John Kabat- Zinn, Barbara Kingsolver, and Andrew Weil, Anticancergenuinely guides us to a new way of life.�,The New York Timesbestseller takes us on an empowering journey and changes the way we think about fighting cancer David Servan-Schreiber's story of his journey from cancer patient to health combines memoir with a clear scientific explanation of what makes cancer cells thrive and what inhibits them. Anticancer is filled with easy to understand charts and diagrams and a sixteen-page color "Anticancer Action" insert that enables readers to make small but essential changes in lifestyle and diet. Your body knows how to fight cancer, says Servan-Schreiber, and you have to help it with nutrition, physical exercise, stress management, and avoiding environmental toxins. Anticancer enables people living with cancer to adopt a proactive attitude to living, even thriving, with cancer and helps healthy people prevent it.
- AuthorDavid Servan-Schreiber
- Number Of Pages304 pages
- Publication Date2008-09-04
- PublisherPenguin Publishing Group
- Copyright Date2008
- Weight21 Oz
- Height1.1 In.
- Width6.3 In.
- Length9.3 In.
- Grade FromTwelfth Grade
- Grade Toup
- Age Range18 - UP
- LC Classification NumberRC268.S475 2008
- Dewey Decimal616.99/405
- Dewey Edition22
- Reviews" A handy book to have around . . . a common-sense blueprint for healthy living." - The Chicago Tribune "In presenting the science of cancer, Servan-Schreiber offers clear and vivid descriptions. . . . [And his] writing offers much more than science. It is full of passion for his topic and compassion for his patients" - The Seattle Times,A mesmerizing, brilliant, astonishing, and well-documented journey detailing the extraordinary successes and remarkable failures of efforts to wrestle with cancer in the modern world.� �Devra Davis, National Book Award finalist and author of The Secret History of the War on Cancer A courageous, sensible, and rational discussion on how integrative medical approaches may be used in the fight against this devastating disease. Anticancer is an absolutely indispensable guide for cancer survivors and anyone who wants to adopt healthy lifestyle habits in order to prevent cancer.� �Dr. Richard B�liveau, author of Foods That Fight Cancer
Most relevant reviews
- scofi-heleAug 12, 2016by
As a cancer survivor, this book makes a lot of sense to me
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- edsbay100Apr 03, 2015by
Great book! A must have for people dealing with cancer in their lives or in their friends or family lives. A good gift for those dealing with cancer. As well as a good guide for preventive measures. Get the book, fight cancer and the people, companies and the gov't allowing the companies to modify foods, inject and mandate vaccines and so forth that are given to us our parents and our children that may be causing it. Help your parents, help yourself, help your children and help the future generations to come to fight cancer. Know your options in treatments, make your best judgement and pray for the best. Have faith, don't give up and always know that knowledge is power.
- adkgolden2010Apr 19, 2016by
Excellent information for anyone fighting cancer or who wants to remain healthy.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- jsftnJan 09, 2009by
Very informative and easy to read
This book has a lot of good information about cancer and how your body can fight it with a strong immune system. The author shares his story and it makes the book very interesting. The author does drag in some areas, but I do reccommend this to anyone wanting to better understand cancer. This book addresses things that most oncologist will not bother discussing with you, we have experienced this first hand.
- igetitnowMar 08, 2011by
Anticancer by David Servan-Schreiber
The author provides a comprehensive plan for battling the disease from both a scientific and personal view. He includes the latest information and offers many suggestions for setting up a line of defense. It is the best of the books on the subject I've read. I purchased an additional copy to give to a friend. Finally, I find it to be a great resource and reference book. I have gleened several strategies from the book.
Best Selling in Textbooks, Education
Save on Textbooks, Education
- $36.97Trending at $63.77
- $13.99Trending at $16.43
- $51.99Trending at $81.40
- $30.97Trending at $31.49
- $47.23Trending at $73.26
- $40.00Trending at $63.02
- $16.74Trending at $20.14