A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (2007, CD, Unabridged)
About this product
- SynopsisAFTER MORE THAN TWO YEARS ON THE BESTSELLER LISTS, KHALED HOSSEINI RETURNS WITH A BEAUTIFUL, RIVETING, AND HAUNTING NOVEL OF ENORMOUS CONTEMPORARY RELEVANCE. A Thousand Splendid Suns is a breathtaking story set against the volatile events of Afghanistan's last thirty years -- from the Soviet invasion to the reign of the Taliban to post-Taliban rebuilding -- that puts the violence, fear, hope and faith of this country in intimate, human terms. It is a tale of two generations of characters brought jarringly together by the tragic sweep of war, where personal lives -- the struggle to survive, raise a family, find happiness -- are inextricable from the history playing out around them. Propelled by the same storytelling instinct that made The Kite Runner a beloved classic, A Thousand Splendid Suns is at once a remarkable chronicle of three decades of Afghan history and a deeply moving account of family and friendship. It is a striking, heartwrenching novel of an unforgiving time, an unlikely friendship, and an indestructible love -- a stunning accomplishment.,The bestselling author of The Kite Runner returns with a beautiful, riveting, and haunting novel about the bond between two women in Afghanistan who are brought together by war, loss, and fate. Unabridged. 11 CDs.
- AuthorKhaled Hosseini
- Edition DescriptionUnabridged
- Publication Date2007-05-22
- PublisherSimon & Schuster Audio
- Number of Volumes11 vols.
- Weight10.5 Oz
- Height1.2 In.
- Width6.1 In.
- Length5.4 In.
- Dewey Decimal813/.6
- Dewey Edition22
- Read byAtossa Leoni,Khaled Hosseini
Most relevant reviews
- cyoon007Nov 15, 2010by
I love the fact that it was audio, not visual.
I travel a lot (driving that is), and I really got into the story. Every words are very intricate, detailed, to perfection. I couldn't turn off the audio, because I wanted to just continue hearing the story... The novel is an intense drama, and, as a female, I really got to see what life is like without any freedom and rights. The actions of beating of a woman was really intense...
I also learned quite a bit of history on Muslims in Afghanistan. I definitely recommend this book.
- kglassgirlAug 03, 2010by
A Thousand Splendid Sons Audo Book
It was a great book on tape...gave me insight into the culture and women in Afghanistan and the political upheaval, esp. when the Taliban took over. Horrible situation. I drive seven hours to see my grandaughter so it just ate up the miles. The only way to drive long distances. But it has to be a great book like this one was. The Kite Runner was his first book and it was really, really good also.
- suzanne-marieAug 16, 2007by
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini,unabridged CD
An excellent CD of an intriguing story, set in a time and place sadly salient,to our current world political reality. The narration was superb and it was really interesting to hear the narrator's correct pronunciation of words and titles of the cities and peoples of Afghanistan and its neighboring countries. I found that fascinating, and something I wouldn't have experienced had I just been reading the book on my own. For me, that was an unexpected bonus of enjoying the CD. It fit perfectly, also, to hear the voice of a female narrating this story -- she was most pleasant to hear, as well.
Though the pain and pathos of the subjects were often difficult to contemplate, Hosseini always does a masterful job of describing what needs to be, painting a clear and fascinating word picture, without devolving into unnecessary gore or sadism -- snapshots of reality, taken from different angles and with a discerning and discriminating eye.Read full review
- posies-galoreJan 30, 2008by
Spellbound from start to finish
The author composes his story beautifully. It is as if, just by listening I was actually transported to the places where this story takes place. You will smile and you may shed a tear, too.. as the story unfolds and each character becomes so real. The spectre of what life is often like, politically and culturally, in lands far away from my home here in the US bears witness to the courage of the human spirit.
I thoroughly enjoyed this story and highly recommend it.
- cindyloveschoco...Nov 07, 2008by
A Tremendous Book
Khaled Hosseini is an oustanding author. He takes life from Afghanistan and makes it accessible to an American audience.
A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS is a tremendous read. Do not miss this chance to broaden your horizons with a story that may depress you, but will ultimately help you grow in your understanding of the world outside of the U.S.A.