For the first time, NBC Universal has opened its vaults to offer the complete, uncut first season of Wagon Train, one of the most enduring and sought-after TV westerns of all time. Direct from the vaults of NBC, these 39 episodes have been re-mastered and are presented on 10 dual-layer DVDs.
Ward Bond, who starred in the movie Wagonmaster upon which the show was based, recreated his role from the film as Major Seth Adams. He was joined by co-stars Robert Horton as Head Scout Flint McCullough, Frank McGrath as the cook Charlie Wooster and Terry Wilson as Assistant Wagon Master Bill Hawks. Each well-crafted episode focused on a personal story of courage and perseverance and some of Hollywoods brightest stars were cast in guest roles. Thrill once again as Major Adams leads a caravan of Conestoga wagons onto the Western prairie with a hearty, Wagons, ho! 2009. Black & White. 1,950 minutes.
Wagon Train The Complete First Season 10 DVD set is brand new; it is unopened, unplayed and still in its original factory shrinkwrap. Here are all 39 episodes from 1957-1958 including …
- The Willy Moran Story Air date 9/18/57. Adams rescues his old Civil War commander from a street brawl and offers the hard drinking man a job on the wagon train if he will stay sober. Ernest Borgnine, Andrew Duggan, Richard Hale, Marjorie Lord guest star.
- The Jean LeBec Story Air date 9/25/57. A sensitive young New Orleans aristocrat who is escorting a young girl to San Francisco on the wagon train inadvertently arouses the fury of a town's dictator. Ricardo Montelban, Joanna Moore guest star.
- The John Cameron Story Air date 10/2/57. A man and his pretty young wife join the train in hopes of beginning a new life. The woman has promised to settle down and give up her flirtatious ways, but she starts trouble when she continues her flirting. Michael Rennie, Carolyn Jones, Claude Akins guest star.
- The Ruth Owens Story Air date 10/09/57. A woman, her new husband and her daughter are passengers on the train. In search of her, the woman's brother overtakes the train. When he hears a derogatory remark about her, he kills the man who made it, only to discover the remark was true. Shelley Winters, Dean Stockwell guest star.
- The Les Rand Story Air date 10/16/57. After serving seven years for murder, a man returns to his small Midwest home town to avenge the death of his Indian bride. He believes that his father, the town's only doctor, is responsible. His arrival coincides witht that of Flint McCullough, who has come to fetch the doctor to the train. Sterling Hayden guest stars.
- The Nels Stack Story Air date 10/23/57. The travelers think that a quiet, unassuming man is a coward and he antagonizes them further by befriending an elderly Indian. Mark Stevens, Joanne Dru guest star.
- The Emily Rossiter Story Air date 10/30/57. When her husband is killed on the way to California, a woman remarries to provide a home for her daughter. However, her second husband is a ruthless leader of bandits who robs the wagon train of a California land deed. Mercedes McCambridge guest stars.
- The John Darrow Story Air date 11/6/57. A couple on their way West is trying to keep a part of the husband's past from their son, but a tramp who knew him during an Indian attack threatens to expose the secret to the boy. Eddie Albert, Edgar Buchanan guest star.
- The Charles Avery Story Air date 11/13/57. A Union Army officer is assigned to deliver a peace treaty to a once hostile Indian chief. Accompanying him are the chief's daughter and Flint, who the Major has sent to assure the safety of the treaty. McCullough suspects that the officer has a hidden agenda. Farley Granger, Chuck Connors guest star.
- The Mary Halstead Story Air date 11/20/57. Prodded by a guilty conscience, a woman joins the train to search for the son she deserted years before. On its way West the train picks up a wounded young man who killed an outlaw leader in a scuffle with bandits. Agnes Moorehead guest stars.
- The Zeke Thomas Story Air date 11/27/57. A man and his wife are heading West when the train becomes stranded in a small town and the man is confronted with a startling problem. He sees his first wife, whom he presumed to be dead. Gary Merrill, Janice Rule guest star.
- The Riley Gratton Story Air date 12/04/57. A handsome young con man sells worthless land to the people on the train, then slips out of camp. When Adams realizes what's happened, he sets out to recover the money. Guy Madison guest stars.
- The Clara Beauchamp Story Air date 12/11/57. A Calvary officer's wife, longing to be back with her Eastern friends, plans to start a war by insulting an Indian chief whom her husband has invited to the fort in an effort to avert a battle. She hopes her husband will be sent back East for a promotion after winning triumphantly. Nina Foch guest stars.
- The Julia Gage Story Air date 12/18/57. When a strong willed woman won't admit she needs a man's help to drive her wagon, Adams persuades a reluctant young man to volunteer. Anne Jeffreys guest stars.
- The Cliff Grundy Story Air date 12/25/57. When a Flint's friend Cliff is trampled in a buffalo stampede and believed mortally wounded, Flint offers to stay behind with the man. Another traveler volunteers to stay behind too, but to find the location a goldmine. Dan Duryea guest stars.
- The Luke OMalley Story Air date 1/1/58. A gambler fleeing froma notorious Mexican bandit disguises himself as a parson and joins train, but the other travelers aren't fooled forever. Keenan Wynn guest stars.
- The Jessie Cowan Story Air date 1/8/58. A Civil War veteran rides out after the train to seek vengeance on the people he holds responsible fort he death of his parents. George Montgomery guest stars.
- The Gabe Carswell Story Air date 1/15/58. An old Indian scout who has known McCullough since he was a boy is devoted to his half-Indian son. But the son is a bitter young man who hates all white men. Carswell faces a difficult decision when his son wants to lead hostile Indians against the train. James Whitmore guest stars.
- The Honorable Don Charlie Story Air date 1/22/58. During a stopover in Dobe Flats, the Major suspects trouble when a local lothario focuses his attention on a lady passenger. Cesar Romero guest stars.
- The Dora Gray Story Air date 1/29/58. Flint runs across the ruins of a farmhouse which has been attacked by Indians using guns, not arrows. Later he finds the gun runner who supplied them. And accompanying that gun runner is the estimable Dora Gray. Linda Darnell, Mike Connors, Dan Blocker, John Carradine guest star.
- The Annie MacGregor Story Air date 2/5/58. A band of Scottish settlers join the train and arouse conflict by playing their bagpipes and practicing their country's customs. Things deteriorate when the the clan chief's daughter falls for an American passenger. Jeannie Carson, Richard Long guest star
- The Bill Tawnee Story Air date 2/12/58. A Sioux Indian who fought in the Civil War is traveling with the train but the other pasengers fear him. When the Major defends him, the passengers begin agitating to get a new wagonmaster. MacDonald Carey, Frank Cady, John Mitchum guest star.
- The Mark Hanford Story Air date 2/26/58. A young man rides out to meet the train which is carrying the his father's intended bride. Bitter at his father's betrayal of his dead Indian mother, the youth plans revenge. Tom Tryon, Paul Fix guest star.
- The Bernal Sierra Story Air date 3/12/58. A follower of Juarez joins the train on his way West to search for two thieves who murdered a guard and stole a large cache of gold. Gilbert Roland guest stars and wrote this episode.
- The Marie Dupree Story Air date 3/19/58. A pretty girl traveling with the train flirts with several of the men, and when she turns her attention to a young Sicilian immigrant, a tragedy seems imminent. Debra Paget, Nick Adams guest star.
- A man Called Horse Air date 3/26/58. Major Adams is puzzled by a white man he encounters who gives the name Horse. The man then tells his remarkable story. Ralph Meeker, Michael Pate guest star. In 1970, this episode was adapted into a movie starring Richard Harris.
- The Sarah Drummond Story Air date 4/2/58. Flint seeks lodging in the home of a couple and becomes involved in a bitter feud between them and their bigoted neighbor. June Lockhart guest stars.
- The Sally Potter Story Air date 4/9/58. A pretty newcomer to the train causes a stir among the men and a bitter rivalry between a passenger and his nephew ensues. Vanessa Brown, Johnny Crawford, Martin Milner guest star.
- The Daniel Barrister Story Air date 4/16/58. When his wife is critically injured in an accident, a passenger refuses to allow any treatment except prayer. When the woman asks for a doctor, McCullough rides out to find one. Charles Bickford guest stars.
- The Major Adams Story, Part One Air date 4/23/58. After many years the Major meets his former sweetheart, who had married another man when she thought that Adams had been killed in the Civil War. Virginia Grey, Douglas Kennedy guest star.
- The Major Adams Story, Part Two Air date 4/30/58. In flashback - the Major upon hearing that his girlfriend Ranie has married someone else, became a wagonmaster. Now that she is widowed the Major wants to rekindle the romance, but the lady is reluctant. Virginia Grey, Douglas Kennedy guest star.
- The Charles Maury Story Air date 5/7/58. Worried about a possible attack from Maury's Raiders, a band of renegade Confederates who prey on unprotected wagon trains, Adams accepts the offer of Union soldiers to accompany the train. But he becomes suspicious when the leader becomes overly friendly with a woman passenger who claims to hate Yankees. Charles Drake guest stars.
- The Dan Hogan Story Air date 5/14/58. The train stops in the town of Sweet Sabbath and Adams is reunited with a prizefighter he once managed. He has just turned down a job as deputy sheriff because he refuses to wear a gun, but he later has his life threatened by a bully he knocks down in a barroom brawl. Jock Mahoney, Buddy Baer guest star.
- The Ruttledge Munroe Story Air date 5/21/58. The Major takes a youth into the train when he learns that the boy lost his horse. After the boy shoots down two men trying to rob the train, he offers protection to a passenger and her baby. But the woman is afraid of him. John Drew Barrymore guest stars.
- The Rex Montana Story Air date 5/28/58. A western hero and his Wild West Show join the train. The man has a reputation for bravery, but Adams and McCullough soon have reason to suspect that he is a fraud. Forrest Tucker guest stars.
- The Cassie Tanner Story Air date 6/4/58. A tough outspoken woman heading West alone is saved by Flint from an Indian attack and accepts his offer to join the train. Once she sees the Major, she decides that he is the man for her. Marjorie Main guest stars.
- The John Wilbot Story Air date 6/11/58. To settle an argument about who works harder, Flint and the major temporarily switch jobs. During the trip Flint has to appease some passengers when an ardent abolitionist violently accuses a lame school teacher of being Lincoln's assassin, John Wilkes Booth. Dane Clark, Robert Vaughn guest star.
- The Monty Britton Story Air date 6/18/58. With the water supply diminishing rapidly, Adams sends McCullough ahead to find a water hole. But when the Major catches up to him, he finds Flint delirious from a poisoned water hole. The Major then asks a man the directions to the nearby Army camp, but the man refuses to help. Ray Danton guest stars.
- The Sacramento Story Air date 6/25/58. The train reaches Sacramento, their final destination. Flint discovers that the fertile land passenger Revere and his daughter have traveled to farm is now a swamp. So he seeks restitution from the man responsible for destroying Revere's land. Linda Darnell, Dan Duryea, Marjorie Main, Reed Hadley, Harry Stevens, Margaret OBrien guest star.