Vintage High Frequency Master Violet Ray Quack Medical Neon Therapy Device w CasSee original listing
Aug 04, 2012 15:27:09 PDT
Brandon, Mississippi, United States
LOOK!! Vintage High Frequency Master Violet Ray Quack Medical Neon Therapy Device with Carry Case!!!!!! NO RESERVE!!!
PLEASE NOTE MY TERMS BELOW. THEY APPLY TO ALL SALES AND YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS BY BIDDING.
Up for Bids is a High Frequency Master Violet Ray Quack Medical Neon Therapy Device with Carry Case that I picked at a local estate sale. This Master Violet Ray is Model M-66 and was made in Marion Indiana by Master Appliances and is in "working" condition. I plugged it in and rotated the control knob and it started making a vibrating crackling sound. I inserted one of the glass tubes and the tube glowed purple (or violet). It comes with all the tubes you see in my photo but it appears to be missing the "rake" tool and it has two of the "mushroom" tip tools. All the tubes glowed except the "Y" shaped tube. I don't know if it has lost its neon or what. There is a small tape repair to the cord next to the violet ray wand but it does not appear to affect the operation. The insulation must have come loose from the cord at that spot. Also, there is no paperwork or instructions in the box so you're only getting what you see in my photo.
About the Master Violet Ray from wikipedia, the free on-line encyclopedia:
A Violet ray is an antique medical device used in electrotherapy. Their construction usually feature a combination of a disruptive discharge coil with an interrupter to apply a high voltage, high frequency, and low current to the human body for therapeutic purposes. Their basic construction was invented by Nikola Tesla prior to 1900, who introduced their first prototypes at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. Most of the antique violet rays in the US were produced before the Depression era and some of the larger US manufacturers of violet rays were Renulife, Fitzgerald and Fisher. Companies who manufactured violet ray devices, made many other types of electrical appliances as well, e.g. Star Electric, which also manufactured stock ticker machines. Many of the companies who were able to continue manufacturing violet rays after the depression, stopped making them due to World War II when they began manufacturing radio coils or other electrical components for the war instead.
A typical violet ray device consisted of an ungrounded electrical control box that controlled the interrupter and which housed the magneto coil, and an attached bakelite or other handle housing which contained the high voltage coil and an insertion port for attachments. Glass evacuated tubes of varying shapes and for different therapeutic uses could be inserted into the bakelite handle to apply the resulting current to different parts of the body.
Violet ray treatments were said to cure everything from lumbago to carbuncles. From an antique Master Violet Ray manual c. 1920 comes this treatment advice: Brain Fog - Use Applicator No. I over forehead and eyes. Also treat the back of head and neck with strong current in direct contact with the skin. Treat the spine and hold the electrode in the hand. Ozone inhalations for about four minutes are also of importance.
During the 1940's and 1950's, makers of violet ray devices were subjected to numerous lawsuits and multiple actions by the US government including recalls, seizures, forfeitures and orders to have them destroyed.
The last manufacturer of violet ray devices in the US was Master Electric. The company was subjected to a 1951 lawsuit in Marion, Indiana, and the devices were seized by the FDA. While their manufacture was prohibited in the US by case law, violet ray devices are still manufactured by companies outside of the US and are still widely used in Europe
A Nice Quack Device to add to your collection or to give as a gift to that special friend or loved one!!!
This lot is sold "As Described". Please don't be confused by my low minimum and no reserve requirement. It is not an indication of low value or poor quality condition. See my description for any specific or obvious condition issues. I start most of my auctions at this low price and let my Buyers determine final sales price. The Photo(s) I have attached are actual photos, not stock reproduction photos. This is the actual item for sale!
Shipping Weight for this item will be 5 pounds and it will be shipped anywhere in the lower 48 States via USPS Priority Mail Shipping in a Medium Flat Rate Shipping Box. A $2.50 handling fee will be assessed on this item.
Please ask any questions before you bid if you need more specific information. If you would like a different photo angle or a close-up of a particular item, please let me know and if there is time, I will try to email the image to you prior to the close of the sale. Thanks and Good Luck!!
Thanks for stopping by and please take a moment and check out my other sales by clicking my link below!!!
· Payments by PayPal go out usually within one (1) business day.
· The “Confirmed Shipping Address” in your PayPal payment will be utilized for shipping. Please do not request shipping to another address as PayPal Seller Protection does not apply if an item is shipped to an address different than that provided by PayPal.
· Please include the item number on all communications.
· Please include shipping address with payment.
· Seller utilizes UPS Ground Shipping and Priority Mail unless otherwise indicated.
· Due to changes in the responsibilities of Sellers by eBay, Buyer will be assessed a Handling Charge to cover these additional costs. I regret that this has become necessary but since I must now prove that the item was delivered to the Winning Bidder and I must now accept liability lost items and for damage in shipping, I have no alternative but to add these costs as a handling cost.
· Buyer Pays Shipping Costs (and a handling fee if indicated). Shipping weights are calculated on an estimated fully-packed weight and may be rounded up to the next pound on borderline weights. Unless otherwise indicated, purchases less than two pounds will be shipped via Priority Mail and shipments of two pounds or more will be shipped via UPS Ground Shipping.. On heavy books (in excess of 2 pounds) or multiple book orders, Seller will ship via book rate (Media Mail) to save postage costs.
· Seller may elect to Self-Insure items for shipping at Seller's sole discretion.
· Payments must be received within seven (7) days of close of sale or the item will be relisted for sale.
· Seller reserves the right to refuse bids from users with negative feedback.
· Domestic shipments to U.S. Buyers only unless approved by Seller prior to close of sale.
· If my tape measure or mannequin is in the photo, it is for display purposes only and is not included in this sale.