The Club had a number of nicknames during its existence. They include: Boston Red Stockings (1871-1875), Boston Braves (1876-1952) during this period, however, they were also known as the Boston Red Caps (1876-1882) and the Boston Beaneaters (1883-1906).
The team employed players such as Harry Wright, George Wright, Albert Spalding, Mike "King" Kelly, Dennis "Dan" Brouthers, Charles Radbourn, and Jimmy Collins.
VINTAGE STYLE 11" BY 14" SEPIA PRINT Reproduction PHOTO OF THE 1874 BOSTON CLUB. THIS IS A REPRODUCTION NOT AN ORIGINAL 1874. PERFECT NEW CONDITION PRINTED ON INDEX STOCK AND WOULD LOOK AWSOME IN A FRAME.
By 1889, it was clear that the players were not satisfied with the National League in regard to salary and reserve clause dealings, and were pursuing the formation of their own league. The concept of this League was initially proposed in 1885, but did not take form until 1890, when the Players' National League organized eight teams, including one in Boston. Charles H. Porter, President; Frederick E. Long, Treasurer; and J.B. Hart, Secretary administered the Boston team. Mike "King" Kelly was lured away from the Boston National League team to captain the Players' League team. John Morrill and Arthur Dixwell scouted for the team.
The Boston Players' League Club's lineup included Hardie Richardson, Ad Gumbert, Dan Brouthers, Harry Stovey, Tom Brown, Arthur Irwin, Dick Johnston, Matt Kilroy, Morg Murphy, Billy Nash, Joe Quinn, Charles Radbourn, Bill Daley, Bill Swett, and Kid Madden. Kelly, Brouthers, Radbourn, Richardson, Brown, Johnston, Nash, Quinn, Daily and Madden all defected from the Boston National League team to join the Boston Players' League team.
The Players' League lasted only one year. After it disbanded, the American Association absorbed many of the teams and players; others returned to the Boston National League team. One exception was Mike "King" Kelly who went to Cincinnati.
Games held in Boston by the Players' League Club were played at the Congress Street Grounds from April 19-Septmber 10, 1890. Subsequently, the American Association club used the grounds from April 18-October 3, 1891. The National League utilized the grounds from May 16-June 20 in 1894, after the South End Grounds II grandstand was destroyed by fire on May 14.
We will discount shipping/handling fees on multiple items won (please email first for updated invoice) and paid for at the same time with one payment. Only items that are able to fit in the same package safely, unless stated otherwise in the description. Example a poster that must be shipped rolled cannot be shipped with a poster that is shipped flat.