Another fine set of reference material brought to you by... Mike The Watch Guy
Swartchild's Material Catalog
In searchable PDF format
There is a lot of books, catalog, manuals available to help watch repairers. Each have their strengths. The Bestfit Catalog is, of course, the most widely known. But others like this Swartchild Catalog provide similar information but also adds more pictorial information about each movement.
This version of the Swartchild Catalog is number 355 from 1946 and contains 144 pages. If you work on vintage watches, I think you'll find many of the movements you restore are in this catalog.
The most well known models the catalog covers are Bulova, Gruen & Longines. But it is not limited to just those manufactures. Also covered are ebauche manufactures. A more complete list is as follows
And ebauche makers
· A. Schild
· Blanc Pain – Le Coultre
· Kurth Freres
· Le Coultre Jaeger
· Mader – Chezard
· Meyer & Strudeli – Roamer
· Tavannes – CYMA
The movements are arranged by size, going from a small 2 ½ up to a large 24 ligne chronograph.
There are 4 features of this book that make it interesting to me
1. The movements are beautifully illustrated. You don't just see the setting parts as a fingerprint, you get a picture of the entire movement.
2. Unlike Bestfit, when mainspring sizes are shown for a movement, you get both the Dennison and the Metric sizes for it, all in the same location. This means you don't have to do some sort of conversion to get it to the units you're working in. If you want to look through your mainsprings in metric order, then you'll have the size right there with the movement.
3. You can see families of movements more easily. Since the book isn't heavily tabular oriented, you readily see the related families of movements. The related calibers are all shown together with the single picture of the movement. Take a look at the photos or else this one will be confusing.
4. This is a wealth of mainspring information in the back of the book. In addition to the tables showing the Swartchild part number for each size of mainspring, you also get detailed tables for Gruen, Bulova and Longines movements.
If you own a bunch of Swartchild parts, then this catalog will GREATLY help you since it shows you all of the Swartchild part numbers for every part.
Like all of the other PDFs I sell, these are completely searchable. This speeds up your item lookup greatly. The commercial grade OCR engine I use does a fantastic job of indexing these old catalogs.
One other feature of PDFs that you don't get with a hardcopy is the ability to ZOOM in on the movement pictures. Another real advantage when you want to compare the picture to the movement you have.
While the pages included in this auction listing are quite detailed, the actual picture sizes are closer to 2400 x 3200. They're extremely detailed pictures. The detail level pretty amazing considering when the catalog was produced. You'll see things in the PDF that are not possible to see with the naked eye looking at the catalog.
Just to be completely clear... you are not receiving hard copies of this catalog. You are receiving a CD-ROM containing PDFs of these catalogs.
I think you'll find the Swartchild Catalog another good tool in your watchmakers tool belt.
I ship quickly. I enjoy receiving my eBay purchases quickly and I assume you do as well.
Gruen fans... come join other Gruen enthusiasts at www.GruenWristwatches.com
I enjoy interacting with the watchmaking community, passing along to others what I've been taught and providing stuff to help people wanting to learn. I do my work for the passion I have for wristwatches and the enjoyment I get from teaching & sharing. I've been with eBay for 10 years with no customer complaints. I'm have been a member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC) since 1979 as well as the American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute (AWCI), and am a member of the local Watchmakers' Guild.
US Shipping details
USPS First class shipping is $5.00. This cost doesn't fully cover the cost of the shipping plus, my mailing materials, labor & a light-scribe CD, so I ask that you don't ding me on shipping as there really are tangible costs... go for download anyway as we'll all save and you'll get your PDF quicker for sure.
I only ship to confirmed Paypal addresses
Also available is a free direct access option. Choose the free shipping option on checkout or contact me for details before purchase.
International Shipping details
International buyers - direct access is available only. Please contact me for shipping options if you are unsure if this will work for you.
I only accept PayPal and will only ship to the confirmed address.
Payment is due immediately upon purchase
Please do not purchase if you have less than 10 feedbacks or a rating of 98% or less. I reserve to the right to cancel these bids. If you have a low feedback and wish to bid please contact me.
For this particular item I do not take returns so please take time to read the ad carefully and look over the pictures.
Who doesn't like happy buyers and positive feedback?
If you are happy with your purchase, please leave me feedback and I will do the same for you.