Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200Watts per Channel 19" re-capped, serviced - Great Condition!
Signed by Bob Carver!
All photos, except the eBay stock photo, are of the ACTUAL item(s) being sold in this auction!
If you are browsing this listing, then you know look are looking at a very powerful, legendary amplifier! Now for all the SERIOUS Sunfire or Carver Audio Collectors, I have a treat for you - keep reading.
For sale is one 5 Channel x 200 WPC Sunfire Cinema Grand Multi-Channel AMP from my AV setup which, due to my remodeling and downsizing project, I've decided to sell. I am the second owner of this super nice Sunfire AMP which has been well maintained in a smoke-free, temperature controlled environment.
So what's unique about this AMP?
THIS Sunfire Amp is signed by Bob Carver on the front left panel as "Bob Carver" AND also signed on the top panel with a personal message. His signatures were obtained when the Sunfire amp was being serviced at Rita's and Bob happened to be in the shop that day. Let me be clear though on the model of this AMP. What I have for sale is the 5 x 200 Watts per Channel Cinema Grand Amp and NOT the "5 x 400+WPC Signature Series" amp. Bob signed this amp on the front in roughly the same location as his "Signature Series" amps were signed, so I am being clear to avoid any confusion for those interested in this amp. Now, the super cool part is that a "Signature Series" amp while it may be 400WPC is NOT going to have the additional personal message from Bob inscribed on the top panel as shown in the photos. This makes this amp unique and makes me extremely reluctant to part with it.
Cosmetically, the Sunfire AMP has a few scratches on its brushed case - a couple near the top right corner and a few lighter scratches on the left and right sides. I have attempted to show these scratches in the photos. These should not be visible when the amp is placed in a cabinet. However, if you would like to dull the scratches, then you can employ the black marker cover up routine which goes a long way to hiding minor scuffs of these anodized cases. There is also one smaller barely visible dent on one of the side panels. However, when placed in a rack, these scratches should not be noticeable.
The published ratings are taken directly from the specification sheet:
· Sunfire Cinema Grand Five-Channel Power Amplifier with black anodized brushed aluminum finish (19" Version)
5 x 200 Watts per Channel RMS into 8 Ohms, all channels driven from 20Hz - 20kHz with no more than 0.5% THD
5 x 400 Watts RMS into 4 Ohms
5 x 800 watts RMS into 2 Ohms - time limited basis
THD < 0.5%
Signal present auto - on switch
Frequency Response: 1Hz – 80kHz +/- 0.1 dB
Input Impendence: 24 k Ohm – unbalanced, 15k Ohm – balanced
Output Impendence: 0.01 Ohm VOLTAGE Source, 1 Ohm CURRENT Source (2 main channels)
High Quality 5 way binding posts
Unique high frequency protection circuit
Size: ~ 6.5”H x 19” W x 15 ¾” D (Standard Version)
Weight: ~ 40 lbs (unpacked)
Serial #: 9608200580
I do NOT have the original manual for this unit, but one can access many of the older but similar manuals from the current Sunfire site.
You need pre-amp outputs and/or balanced outputs from a Pre-Amp or Receiver to use this AMP! The bidder is responsible for determining if the Sunfire AMP will work with their setup. You must check your own equipment to determine compatibility! I cannot answer questions such as "...will the Sunfire work with this piece of hardware or that piece of hardware?"
· A link to some original reviews for this amp and its related models:
· http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_2_1/productr.html (the original 2 x Channel mode this one is based on and has a similar design)
· http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_2_3/v2n3f.html (general operation of the AMPs and their designs)
History and Service:
I purchased this Sunfire Cinema Grand Amp from a reputable eBay seller in early 2009. I immediately shipped it to Rita's Vintage Audio for a full tune up and overall general servicing. I will include Rita's 21 May 2009 service sheet with this sale. Below is listing of Rita's service notes as well as what was replaced on the amp:
7 x 2200uF / 25v Lytic Capacitors
3 x 1000uF / 25v Lytic Capacitors
6 x 1000uF / 16v Lytic Capacitors
1 x 100uF / 25v Lytic Capacitor
1 x 72uF / 50v Lytic Capacitor
1 x SPDT Relay
Service Notes: Replace multiple weak low voltage power supply capacitors on down converter and all amp output boards. Replaced low voltage power on/off relay. Burned in and tested all functions for 48 hours. BF
This Sunfire Cinema Grand AMP has been basically re-capped, serviced, burned in and tested.
This service ALONE costs $370.00 today at Bob Carver's Audio Service (formerally Rita's), PLUS the round trip S/H/I to and from Snohomish, WA which could be $60-$80 each way - that's $500+ to get these amp re-capped / serviced....which has already been done for you!
See link -> http://www.ritasvintageaudio.com/index.php/2012-01-13-10-38-05/rates
Overall, this 5 channel Sunfire AMP is in great operating condition especially with the re-capping and bench to specs service as outlined above by Rita's.
- All items are sold "AS-IS" This is a vintage audio item which was removed from my working system.
- As part of my preventative maintenance, I have all my Carver / Sunfire AMPs serviced periodically.
- This sale includes what is shown. If you do not see it, or it is not listed above, it is not part of the sale.
- I have priced this amp considering all of the above including the cost you will have to incur to get whatever other unknown AMP you buy from eBay serviced because in many older Sunfire's, those electrolytic caps are marginal and need to be replaced.
- Now before you message me about the S/H fee being too high, the shipping and handling fee for this amp includes the $30 fee I paid for UPS to DOUBLE-BOX this unit! I am NOT charging extra fees over top of what it costs me for the S/H/I fees. I want to ensure the item reaches you as safely as possible - DOUBLE-BOXED and undamaged. This unit is ready to ship immediately. As soon as your payment clears, it will be shipped within 2 business days.
- Shipping INSURANCE is part of the handling fee.
If you have ANY questions, please contact me BEFORE placing bids and please do so at least 24 hours before the auction is scheduled to end. I may not be able to answer last minute questions.
Buyers, the rules:
- All items are tested and inspected to the best of my ability prior to listing. I will clearly note in the listing if there are functional or cosmetic issues which are apparant to me. Due to the complexities of electronics, I cannot test beyond the basic working functions. Where possible, the item will be reset to the factory defaults.
- Any item which is NOT working will be clearly noted as "not working" or "for parts only".
- All items are sold "AS-IS"
- No returns
- The winning bidder pays for shipping.
- Delivery confirmation and shipping insurance are included in the handling fee.
- I accept PayPal ONLY.
- I ship to locations in in the Continental USA ONLY.
- No international bidders.
- Do not ask me to ship outside the continental USA states after the sale.
- Payment is expected within 3 days of auction end, or item will be relisted and negative feedback will be posted.
- Buyers with negative comments - I may cancel your bid.
- Buyers with less than 10 positive feedbacks, please contact me BEFORE bidding.
- Buyers must IMMEDIATELY INSPECT and REPORT ANY ISSUES WITHIN 3 DAYS OF TRACKING / DELIVERY!
- If there is an issue with an item, I will work with you to resolve IF YOU CONTACT ME WITHIN 3 (three) days of receiving the item.
- Happy bidding! Someone big Carver fan is going to have a one-of-a kind holiday gift!