Our take on the Denon AVR-5803
Are you ready for staggering home theater power, impeccably precise processing, stunning sonic purity, astounding A/V versatility, and true upgradability for future formats? Then feast your eyes on Denon's AVR-5803! With 170 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7 channels, this powerhouse receiver sets new benchmarks for home theater and music performance.
As one of the first receivers to garner THX® Ultra2 certification, the AVR-5803 has met Lucasfilm Ltd.'s super-strict standards for 7.1-channel audio performance and cinematic accuracy. It's equipped with unique THX Ultra2 digital processing enhancements designed to make the best possible use of all your home theater speakers with the widest variety of music and movie sources.
Of course, the '5803 can handle any surround format you throw its way. THX Surround EX™, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, and Pro Logic™ II decoding are all performed with supreme precision by dual 32-bit SHARC processors. You also get DTS Neo:6 modes and Denon's proprietary ALPHA 24 and Widescreen 7.1 processing.
Denon's DDSC-Digital construction treats your audio to a series of single-function circuit blocks. With D/A conversion, A/D conversion, surround decoding, and other DSP each handled by its own dedicated block, every function is optimized, and so is your sound! Scrupulous isolation of each block also ensures ultra-rigorous standards of signal purity.
D/A duties are delegated to 16 Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs (two per channel!) in differential configuration. You even get 192kHz/24-bit A/D conversion, which enables bass management and digital processing of multichannel music sources like DVD-Audio and SACD.
The AVR-5803's three-room/three-source capability lets you and a housemate enjoy different A/V sources in two rooms simultaneously (home theater in main room, stereo A/V in the second), while another friend listens to stereo music in a third! Denon's video conversion lets you send all video signals to your main-room TV via a single S-video or component video connection.
A paragon of forward-thinking Denon design, the AVR-5803 has an RS-232C port that enables software upgrades. It's also the first-ever receiver to offer Dolby Headphone processing, which lets you enjoy an incredible simulation of home theater sound via a pair of conventional headphones. Then there's decoding for DTS 96/24-encoded DVDs. This up-and-coming format enables video DVDs to deliver 5.1 soundtracks in the same high-resolution that 5.1-channel DVD-Audio employs!
Topping off the AVR-5803's advanced features are its 4 discrete 192kHz/24-bit digital interfaces (one for every two channels) and an exclusive Denon Link input. With compatible components (such as Denon's reference-quality DVD-5900 DVD player), you'll be able to send 6-channel, 96kHz/24-bit or stereo 192kHz/24-bit DVD-Audio signals to this receiver digitally for musical reproduction of unprecedented purity and precision.
The AVR-5803 doesn't skimp on more conventional forms of connectivity, either. The back panel offers 12 digital inputs (including AC-3 RF for Dolby Digital laserdisc fans), two sets of 7.1-channel inputs, 8 S-video inputs, 3 component video inputs (with 100MHz bandwidth for immaculate HDTV transfer), true 192kHz/24-bit digital input capability — and that's just for starters! (See "Key Features" below.)
This Denon will take you into new A/V frontiers. But you'll always be in cool control with the intuitive touchscreen LCD remote (click on the "More Photos" tab above to view the remote). The included charger/base station supplies RF/IR flexibility, so you can use it from any one of your three listening rooms!
- THX Ultra2 certification
- 170 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- dual 32-bit SHARC processors for surround decoding (THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic II), DTS Neo:6, ALPHA 24, processing
- DTS 96/24 decoding
- Pure Direct mode
- Dolby Headphone processing
- 16 total 192kHz/24-bit DACs (2 per channel)
- 192kHz/24-bit A/D converters
- true 192kHz/24-bit input capability
- Denon Link input for digital transfer of high-resolution multichannel audio from compatible components
- DDSC-Digital construction
- three-room/three-source output (preamp stereo and composite video output for the second room, preamp stereo output for the third room)
- RC8000 learning/multibrand, backlit touchscreen LCD remote with USB port and macros
- RC8001ST RF transmitter/charger/base station for the RC8000
- IEEE 1394 upgradable
- RS-232C port
- two 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- 7.1-channel preamp output
- component video switching (3 in, 1 out, 100MHz bandwidth)
- digital inputs: 6 optical, 5 coaxial, 1 AC-3 RF
- digital output: 2 optical
- 4 audio (including phono) and 8 A/V (including 8 S-video) inputs
- video conversion: composite to S-video or composite and S-video to component video (for convenience, not enhancement)
- Widescreen 7.1 mode
- variable low-pass crossover
- on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)
- banana-plug compatible speaker terminals for all channels
- high-current, low-impedance amplifier design
- 40 AM/FM presets
- 17-1/8"W x 8-1/2"H x 20-5/8"D
- warranty: 2 years