This is a "Multiple Variation" style listing. Use the "Seed Qty" drop-down menu, above, to select quantity/weight.
10 Seeds for $2.00
30 Seeds for $4.00
60 Seeds for $6.00
120 Seeds for $10.00
240 Seeds for $18.00
480 Seeds for $32.00
Purple Smoketree, Cotinus coggygria atropurpurea, Tree Seeds
Intense Colors, Hardy, Showy Foliage, Fall Color, Fast Growth, Hedge, Cold, Heat, Drought and Urban Tolerant, Adaptable
Purple Smoketree offers stunning dark purple foliage that turns red in autumn. The "smoke" is not its flowers but the colorful stalks that remain after the flowers have fallen.
Purple Smoketree is a deciduous, upright, loose-spreading, multi-stemmed shrub that typically grows 10 to 15 feet tall and as wide. The purplish brown stems have a waxy bloom when young and develop thin blocky light gray bark as they grow older. The leaves are dark purple, ovate to obovate to 3 inches long. They are borne alternately on long stems and have parallel veins and rounded or notched tips. In the fall, they turn bright shades of yellow, orange, purple and red. The actual flowers are inconspicuous little yellowish green blossoms that appear in spring on branching, 6 to 8 inches long, terminal panicles.
It is the long pinkish filaments on the stems of the bloom clusters that create a striking pink to purplish pink cloudlike effect through the summer.
Intense color is this plant's most outstanding feature. Smoketree is most often employed for color accent or contrast, but it can also be used as a featured specimen plant or blended with other species in a shrub border. The purple-leaved varieties can be used to form a dramatic dark backdrop for summer's bright flowers and bright green foliage. Then, as the flowers fade in the fall, the Smokebush will take over and light up the landscape with brilliant fall color. The unique billowing cloud like appearance of the flowering shrub can be used for fantasy effects. All this drama can be possible even if all you have to offer is a dry gravelly soil where it is hard to get anything else to perform well. This species was popular in Victorian gardens and is thus suitable for many garden restoration projects. Both flowers and foliage are excellent for exotic effects in floral arrangements.
Leaf: Alternate, simple, oval, entire margin, blunt-tipped, 3 to 5 inches long; dark purple above, paler below.
Flower: Small, greenish yellow occurring on many finely branched, slender clusters which resemble puffs of smoke; changes color from yellowish to pink as the age; few actual flowers occur. The flowers attract bees.
Fruit: Light brown, 1/8 inch long, kidney-bean shaped; few appear on the slender branched, hairy stems.
Twig: Moderately stout, reddish green or with a purple tint, glaucous, turning gray-brown with age; buds small, leaf scar not lobed.
Bark: Initially light gray-brown, later splitting into thin strips and becoming scaly and darker.
Form: A shrub to 15 feet tall with an equal spread.
Other Names: Purple Smoke Tree, European Smoketree, Smoke Bush
Zone: 5 to 8 (possibly 4)
Growth Rate: Fast
Plant Type: Deciduous, multi-stemmed shrub
Native Range: Southern Europe to central China
Height: 10 to 15 feet
Spread: 10 to 15 feet
Shape: Upright, Rounded
Bloom Time: May-July
Bloom Color: Yellow
Sun: Full Sun
Fall Color: Bright shades of yellow, orange, purple and red.
Drought Tolerance: High
Site Requirements /Soil Tolerances: Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soils in full sun. Tolerates wide range of soils except wet, poorly-drained ones. Prefers somewhat infertile loams, but also does well in poor, rocky soils. Good drainage is essential. Shallow fibrous root system.
Culture: If bloom is not a concern, stems may be cut back hard in early spring each year to a framework to induce growth of vigorous new shoots with slightly larger than normal leaves. Such hard annual pruning will control size, but most likely at the expense of profuse flowering.
Easy to transplant.
Uses: Single specimen, group or mass in shrub borders or sunny areas around the home. Long-lasting summer smoke display makes this a striking accent plant. Also may be used as an informal hedge or screen (a smoke screen as it were). Can be trained as a small tree.
Sowing Cotinus coggygria atropurpurea Seeds:
Scarification, Warm then Cold Stratification and moisture enhance germination.
Scarify: Pour Hot water over seed. Soak water for 12 hours
Stratify: Warm 60 Days, then Cold 90-120 days, 40 Degrees F in a Moist Medium.
Germination: Sow 1/8” Deep
For more information about seed pretreatment and growing trees and shrubs from seed, please try the following link:
- Seeds Packets are labeled with seed name and sowing details.
- Seeds have not been pretreated unless specified in the listing.
- Due to the many factors involved in successful germination, Seller cannot be responsible for buyers growing methods or mistakes.
- I have provided what I believe to be a good overview on this page (which you are free to print for further reference), however, it is still recommended to check specialist literature for more details and practices specific to your climate and soil conditions to avoid mistakes in the germination and growing process.
U.S. Shipping and Handling is $2.25 for the first item and $0.50 for each additional item sent via USPS First Class Mail.
International Shipping and Handling is $3.99 and $0.50 for each additional item sent via USPS First Class International Mail.
Deadline to qualify for 1 day shipping:
Payments must be received by 3:00 pm Pacific Time, Monday-Thursday in order to process and ship by the next business day. Weekends and U.S. Holidays CAN NOT apply for 1 day shipping.
- Purchases will ship within 1 business day after receiving cleared payment. This does not include weekends or holidays when post offices are closed.
- To qualify for combined shipping, items must be purchased within 7 days AND paid for together on a single invoice. When you have finished shopping, please request a combined invoice before paying.
- Shipping and handling charges cover: shipping, packaging, handling and insurance. This Does Not cover invalid shipping addresses, customs regulations or Tariffs.
- USPS Priority Flat Rate is available for an additional fee upon request. USPS Priority Flat Rate does not provide a tracking number for International shipments.
- Please check your invoice BEFORE PAYING. If there is a problem with the amount due please message me so I can correct the problem for you. Buyer assumes responsibility once payment has been made.
- I accept PayPal only. Payment is due within seven (7) days of purchase.
- If you do not have a PayPal account please message me for alternative payment methods before purchasing.
- Please notify me if you are not able to send your payment by its due date. Unless prior arrangements have been made, any payments not received by its due date will be turned over to the EBay resolution center. Please note: If you choose to let it go unpaid then you could get an unpaid strike(s), which will cause you to be blocked by sellers.
The following is EBay procedure for cancellation:
1. You request a cancellation to me.
2. I request this cancellation in EBay.
3. You confirm this cancellation in EBay.
4. Upon completion of all these steps your purchase will go away with no penalties. Please note: This needs to be done for each item individually and before its due date.
It is the buyer’s responsibility to know their countries customs laws.
- Plant and plant materials including seeds may be restricted from importing to your country. Please check with your customs agency and or post office before purchasing. Upon purchasing this item Buyer accepts the risk of item being confiscated and/or destroyed by customs and Seller will not be held liable for this.
- If you are on my exclusion list it is because: “Plant and plant materials including seeds” are restricted from importing to your country, it is enforced by your country and there is a high rate of customs checking for this.
- Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to buying.
- Tracking is not available for International items. International mail varies from 10 to 30 business days (postal working days) and some countries require certain International items to be picked up at your post office. Upon processing your order, you will be sent a customs number, your shipping date and your shipping address, which you will need in order to retrieve it from your post office if you are required to do so. If these are not picked up in a reasonable time they may be returned or discarded.
- All mail items are subject to inspection by customs when crossing into another country. If stopped for inspection this will cause serious delays in receiving your item(s). You may or may not be notified of this. This may require you to pick up your package from your post office.
Replacements and Refunds:
- If there is any problem with your order, please notify me via Ebay message only. This will have your Ebay user name and it is the only valid form of communication that EBay accepts.
- This is the date you paid if different from the date you purchased.
- This is required in order to help expedite any issues you are having with your purchase.
- All items are shipped in a padded envelope. If any items are delivered damaged please notify me with a short description of the damage.
- Once confirmed, a replacement for the damaged item(s) will be sent on the next shipping day.
- If item is out of stock, you will be offered to choose from a substitute replacement or refund including shipping for that item.
In order to determine if your package is lost the following are required:
- Confirmation of the correct shipping address. It is the buyer's responsibility to provide a valid shipping address. Seller is NOT responsible for invalid shipping addresses.
- A sufficient amount of time has passed from the date shipped to allow for any package that took the scenic route to get to their destination. The postal service is not perfect and packages may sometimes take a wrong turn but will usually find their way to their destination.
a. U.S.: Expect 2 to 15 business days (up to 3 weeks).
b. International: Expect 10 to 30 business days (up to 5 weeks).
- International Orders: Confirmation that you have contacted your post office with your customs number as described above and what or if your post office found anything.
- Once purchase has been determined lost you will be a offered a choice of the following:
a. To send replacement item(s) if available.
b. To send a substitution if out of stock.
c. Full refund including shipping fees.
d. Please note: There is no option for a refund if a replacement or substitution has been chosen and shipped.
Return items: Refund will be given if item is returned within 14 days and as it was received.
Upon receiving your item(s) please inspect your purchase right away. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your purchase:
1. Please notify me with a description of the problem.
2. You will be authorized to return item as it was received.
3. Once item has been received by seller, a refund will be promptly given for the purchase price. This does not include shipping and handling unless prior approval has been given.