Great combination of power and balance
The Motorola Droid X is a good all around device. While it is no longer Verizon's pinnacle smartphone offering, it still a good buy for the right users, especially if your area won't be covered by LTE anytime soon.
1. The Droid X is excellent as a regular phone. Calls sound crisp and clear with no static, buzzing, or dropped syllables. Reception is also better than many other comparable Verizon phones.
2. Battery life is better than average, especially for a smartphone. Even after heavy usage, the phone usually has 30-40% left by the end of the day. Heavy video usage drains it considerably faster, but that's with any smartphone.
3. Great multimedia device. The speaker has ample volume, and music/videos sound great, with the right balance of bass and treble. The phone also has other advanced media functions that I'll never use, but they're included nonetheless.
4. Core smartphone functions work flawlessly. The browser is quick and has yet to choke on a page, and push e-mail works as well as any Blackberry. I also like how Motorola arranged the phones messaging setup, it makes keeping track of all incoming messages a breeze.
5. Data speeds are good for 3G; I'm averaging 1000-1200 kbps down and 600-800 up.
6. Fast processor, no lag.
1. The Droid X is a large, rather cumbersome device. It comes in handy for typing messages, browsing, and watching videos, but it's still a tad large.
1. Signal strength indicator is flawed, you have to download a signal app from Market to get an accurate reading. Please, it's 2011. Get it right.
2. The few included Motoblur elements aren't very useful; stock apps from Market performed much better. It's miles from HTC Sense.
3. The included wallpapers are hideous and unprofessional, and the included ringtones only seem to appeal to teenage girls or metalheads.
While the Motorola Droid X contains several flaws, it is an great device for those who want a smartphone that also works well as a phone.
The Motorola Droid X is a fantastic phone that requires a user to stay on their toes. Android is not something someone without any technical knowledge should get themselves into. This phone will have you jumping through hoops if you don't know how to baby it.
Huge Touch Screen. Amazing for take pictures (spotting littler things) and typing on the qwerty keyboard. Makes video browsing fantastic.
Social networking. An amazing array of customized widgets and social networking feeds.
Speed. This baby is fast.
Bloatware. A lot of software on this phone you will likely never use, and cannot remove without rooting. EX: Amazon MP3, MADDEN, Blockbuster.
Memory Hogs: A lot of applications hog up a huge portion of the memory, in the background, and they are not easy to find. An experiences android user can manage these, but an inexperienced user may not lower battery life and slower response time because of it.
Tips: Learn what programs to clear cache's from, and what not to. Facebook application seems to store everything imaginable, and has been seen over 100 MBs on some Androids. Browser is a lesser evil. Dialer Storage represents your SMS/MMS. Don't clear that unless you're ready to lose all of it.
Advanced Task Killer is only useful to upfront applications. Background applications will be require manual access to Manage Applications under Settings.
It's not always the phone, it could be an application. The android market is full of applications that may have only been tested on one android phone, or might have only been tested on an old version, or a newer one you don't have. Always confirm compatibility.
Awesome phone you will be happy when you buy it. Fast everything no delays. Keyword is incredible and easy to use. Also you can swype which when I show friends they are amazed. You can also voice text and its spot on. So many things you can do to customize. App store has home screens like launcher pro and you can get ringtone apps to customize sms and other alerts a lot for free. Battery is good for how much I use it. Keep a car charger especially when using nav. I would like earpiece a bit louder but it is very clear. Wifi and bluetooth connect fast no problems. Only way you wouldn't buy this phone if you thought it was too big so I suggest go to Verizon and spend some time playing with it. I throw it in front pants pocket no problem. Best phone on Verizon with incredible next to it. Strong contender versus any network phone out now
Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless