CLICK ON A PHOTO FOR A LARGER IMAGE:
Photos Not Showing Up? Send me a message through the ebay contact system, I'll get it fixed.
Monticello NY: Rare 1909 Real Photo Postcard of Fire on Broadway #7
One of a collection of 9 rare original 1909 real photo postcards documenting the aftermath and ruins of the fire in Monticello NY on August 10th 1909. According to author Tom Rue,
Sparking the most damaging fire in the Sullivan County's history, on August 10, 1909, there was an explosion at the Murray Electric Light power generating plant, located on the western side of Landfield Avenue on or near the present site of the Landfield Avenue Garage. Shortly after it started, the fire spread to the adjacent Palatine Hotel, razing it and much of the vicinity. Monticello burned all night and into the next day.
By the time the blaze was extinguished, 74 properties were lost at a value of $1,000,000 (which converts to over $17,000,000 in modern economic currency). Landfield Avenue burned up to North Street. Both sides of Broadway were consumed from the site of the present Carlton Hotel up to Bank Street and across the street starting at the Village Offices up to and including both sides of St. John Street for a short distance, according to contemporary sources.
Condition is VG to EX, image is sharp, see scan.
120215 / 0002 R2/19/2012 AUS_____________________________
Note on condition: For uniformity and convenience, I grade cards per Barr's guidelines. I describe any defects (such as creases) that are not apparent on the full-size scan. Click the photos above to see a big picture, and then bid with confidence.
Additional purchases will be combined if bought same day, for one low shipping rate. Sales Tax may apply. Please read and accept my terms of sale below before you bid.
BY PLACING A BID ON THIS ITEM, YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS:
1) POSTAGE: USPS postage rates are calculated using the most affordable (not the quickest) shipping class, based on the pre-sale estimated package weight and size of the purchase. If you want to upgrade to a quicker, more expensive postal class, you must let me know BEFORE you pay. Postage for multiple purchases bought same day will be combined to save you money. In the USA: Qualifying books will ship via MEDIA MAIL. Small, light items will ship via FIRST CLASS MAIL when possible, otherwise via PRIORITY MAIL. Heavier items will ship via PARCEL POST when the savings are significant, unless buyer requests faster, costlier PRIORITY MAIL. All shipments will include DELIVERY CONFIRMATION for my protection and your peace of mind. Some delicate or expensive sales may include insurance or registered mail fee in the shipping/handling cost. For pick-up or delivery items these terms do not apply.
International sales (if offered): shipped via USPS least expensive method, currently either INTERNATIONAL FIRST CLASS MAIL or INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY MAIL, based on weight and size of package. Some sales may include insurance in the shipping/handling cost.
2) CHECKOUT: Please don't leave out or adjust any sales tax or postage costs, leave that to us. If you have any questions, please contact us before payment. Incorrect payments will be returned to buyer for re-submittal.
3) INSURANCE: Some fragile or expensive shipments may include postal insurance or registered mail fee in the shipping/handling cost.
4) SALES TAX: All items shipped to addresses within New York State must include applicable sales tax or send me a completed NY resale certificate or exempt certificate before or at time of payment (unless I have it on file already from a previous sale), no exceptions. Once I have your tax form filed, I will never ask for it again. As a convenience to qualified resellers, I have provided you with a link here to a tax form which may be opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar, filled out and mailed (or emailed via pdf) to me prior to your payment.
5) MULTIPLE PURCHASES, UNDER- AND OVER-PAYMENTS: Multiple purchases made withing 24 hours will be combined in the same package for cost-saving. Please wait for a combined purchase invoice to be sent before paying. Any overpayments received via paypal will be refunded to the buyer's paypal account. Underpayments are returned to the buyer in their entirety for re-submittal.
7) Payment is expected within 10 days of my invoice to you. I will ship within two business days of your payment's clearance, unless another handling time is specified for this listing.
8) International Buyers – Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying. We won't under-value merchandise or mark the item as a gift on customs forms. Doing that is against U.S. and international laws.