Meade 10" LX200- ACF (f/10) Advanced Coma Free Telescope with UHTC
- f/10 Advanced Coma-Free Optics
- Meade Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC™)
- Oversize Primary Mirror
- Primary Mirror Lock
- Smart Drive™
- Sony®GPS Receiver Sensor
- AutoStar® II
*Purchase this LX200® and receive a FREE newly announced Meade HD-60 Eyepiece Kit.
- Autostar® II Hand Controller: 147,541 object database
- Meade AutoStar Suite Astronomer edition software for PC
- 1.25" Diagonal Prism
- 8x50 Viewfinder with quick release bracket
- GPS, True-level and North sensors: 16-channel GPS receiver
- Eyepiece: Series 4000 26mm Super Ploss
- Primary Mirror Lock: progressive tension
- LS Field Tripod (heavy duty)
- Full Meade One Year Limited Warranty- Telephone support line
- Special new eyepiece kit INCLUDED UNTIL December 31, 2011*
The complete kit has a retail value of $399.00.
THIS NEW KIT includes the complete set of eyepieces: Series 5000 HD-60 4.5mm, 6.5mm, 9mm,12mm, 18mm, 25mm and Carrying Case. Note this newest Series 5000 Eyepiece Kit will be shipped directly from Meade. This special offer is good from Oct. 19, until 12/31/2011.
Helix Product #ME1010-60-03
The most widely used research quality telescope now features the most advanced optical system. Meade's LX200-ACF brings Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) optics within reach of aspiring astronomers everywhere. Nearly every observatory reflector in the world uses an aplanatic (coma-free) optical system like the Ritchey-Chrétien (RC), including NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. Now you can own similar optics to what the professionals use. The LX200-ACF includes all the field-proven features of the LX200 including Primary Mirror Lock, Oversized Primary Mirror, SmartDrive™, Smart Mount™, AutoStar® II, Sony® GPS Receiver Sensor + AutoAlign™ and more. The new LX200-ACF. It's the biggest news in astronomy since, well, the LX200.
Ultra High Transmission Coatings
All about UHTC...
An important optional feature to optimize the performance of your Meade telescope.
brightness in a telescope is crucially dependent on the reflectivity of
the telescope's mirrors and on the transmission of its lenses. Neither
of these processes, mirror-reflectivity or lens-transmission, is,
however, perfect; light loss occurs in each instance where light is
reflected or transmitted. Uncoated glass, for example, reflects about 4%
of the light impacting it; in the case of an uncoated lens 4% of the
light is lost at entrance to and at exit from the lens, for a total light loss of about 8%.
Early reflecting telescopes of the 1700's and 1800's suffered greatly from mirrors of poor reflectivity �
reflection losses of 50% or more were not uncommon. Later, silvered
mirrors improved reflectivity, but at high cost and with poor
durability. Modern optical coatings have succeeded in reducing
mirror-reflection and lens-transmission losses to acceptable levels at
Standard Coatings: The optical surfaces of all Meade telescopes include
high-grade optical coatings fully consistent in quality with the
precision of the optical surfaces themselves. These standard-equipment
coatings from Meade include mirror surfaces of highly purified aluminum,
vacuum-deposited at high temperature and overcoated with silicon
monoxide (SiO), and correcting lenses coated on both sides for high
light transmission with magnesium fluoride (MgF2). Meade standard mirror
and lens coatings equal or exceed the reflectivity and transmission,
respectively, of virtually any optical coatings currently offered in the
commercial telescope industry.
Meade UHTC Group: Technologies recently developed at the Meade Irvine
coatings facility, however, including installation of some of the
largest and most advanced vacuum coating instrumentation currently
available, have permitted the vacuum-deposition of a series of exotic
optical coatings precisely tuned to optimize the visual, photographic,
and CCD imaging performance of Meade telescopes. These specialized, and
extremely advantageous, coatings are offered here as the Meade
Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) group, a coatings group
available optionally on many Meade telescope models.
Meade catadioptric, or mirror-lens, telescopes (including Meade
ETX-90AT, ETX-105AT, and ETX-125AT; LX10, LX90, and LX200GPS
Schmidt-Cassegrains; and LXD55-Series Schmidt-Newtonians) before
incoming light is brought to a focus, it passes through, or is reflected
by, four optical surfaces: the front surface of the correcting lens,
the rear surface of the correcting lens, the primary mirror, and the
secondary mirror. Each of these four surfaces results in some loss of
light, with the level of loss being dependent on the chemistry of each
surface's optical coatings and on the wavelength of light. (Standard
aluminum mirror coatings, for example, typically have their highest
reflectivity in the yellow region of the visual spectrum, at a
wavelength of about 580nm.)
Coatings: Meade ETX, Schmidt-Cassegrain, and Schmidt-Newtonian
telescopes equipped with the Ultra-High Transmission Coatings group
include primary and secondary mirrors coated with aluminum enhanced with
a complex stack of multi-layer coatings of titanium dioxide (TiO2) and silicon dioxide (SiO2).
The thickness of each coating layer is precisely controlled to within
1% of optimal thickness. The result is a dramatic increase in mirror
reflectivity across the entire visible spectrum; at the important
hydrogen-alpha wavelength of 656nm. - the predominant wavelength of
emission nebulae � reflectivity is increased from 89% to over 97%.
Correcting Lens Coatings: Meade telescopes
ordered with the Meade UHTC group include, in addition, an exotic and
tightly-controlled series of coatings on both sides of the correcting
lens or correcting plate, coatings which include multiple layers of
aluminum oxide (Al2O3), titanium dioxide (TiO2), and magnesium fluoride (MgF2).
Per-surface light transmission of the correcting lens is thereby
increased at the yellow wavelength of 580nm., for example, to 99.8%,
versus a per-surface transmission of 98.7% for the standard coating.
importance of the Meade UHTC group becomes apparent when comparing
total telescope light transmission, or throughput, caused by the
multiplier, or compounding, effect of the four optical surfaces. With
each optical surface contributing significantly to telescope light
throughput, the effect of all four surfaces combined is indeed
dramatic, as demonstrated by the graphs on the facing page, as well as
by the table of the brightest nebular emission lines. At the H-a
wavelength of 656nm., total transmission increases from 76.9% to 93.1%,
an increase of 21%; at the helium wavelengths of 588nm. and 469nm. � strong emission lines in hot planetary nebulae �
total telescope transmission increases by 18% and 19%, respectively; at
the two nitrogen II lines of 655nm. and 658nm. and at the sulfur II
line of 673nm., transmission is increased by 21%. Averaged over the
entire visible spectrum (450nm. to 700nm.), total light transmission to
the telescope focus increases by about 20%.
Observing with the UHTC: Meade ETX, Schmidt-Cassegrain, and Schmidt-Newtonian telescopes equipped with the Meade UHTC present dramatically brighter images on the full range of celestial objects �
from emission and planetary nebulae such as M8, M20, and M57 to star
clusters and galaxies such as M3, M13, and M101. Observations of the
Moon and planets, since they are observed in reflected (white) sunlight,
benefit in image brightness from the full spectrum of increased
* The % increase is obtained by dividing the UHTC-transmission (column 4) by the standard coatings transmission (column 3).
The overall effect of the UHTC is, as it relates to image brightness, to increase the telescope's effective aperture. Image brightness of the Meade 10" LX200GPS is, for example, effectively increased by about one full inch of aperture.
Effects on CCD Imaging: While the human eye loses sensitivity
to light beyond wavelengths of about 700nm., CCD imaging chips remain
sensitive to about 750nm. and longer, wavelengths at which the
reflectivity of an aluminum coating is near its lowpoint. Importantly,
however, the UHTC's total light transmission at 750nm. is about 83%, vs.
about 72% for standard coatings, an increase of 83/72, or 15%.
United States Shipping
- Shipping is $50.00 via UPS Ground in the continental United States.
- Shipping is $250.00 via USPS Priority Mail to Alaska, Hawaii or other U.S. Territories.
- Signature required at time of delivery.
- Shipping price includes shipping, insurance and handling charges.
- For faster shipment we offer UPS Next Day Air, UPS Second Day Air and to select locations UPS Three Day Select.
These shipment methods are available at an additional charge.
Please email or call ahead before making payment to confirm additional shipping charges.
International Shipping is not available for this item
|Australia or New Zealand||N/A|
Note for all International Buyers:
- This item is too large for Shipping via USPS Priority Mail International.
- We also offer USPS Express Mail International. Please contact HelixCamera.com for further shipping information.
- For other locations please contact us.
- All shipments outside of the USA may have local customs, duties or tax. As all countries have different procedures and fees for packages, Helix is not able to provide an estimate of these charges. Please check with your local government or proper authorities before placing your bid.
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges.
These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
- Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.
- These charges are normally collected by the delivering freight (shipping) company or when you pick the item up,
do not confuse them for additional shipping charges.
- We do not mark merchandise values below value or mark items as gifts.
- US and International government regulations prohibit such behavior.
Please note: Do not buy unless you fully intend to pay.
- US and Canadian Customers
We accept PayPal or the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
- International Customers
We accept PayPal or bank wire transfer.
- Illinois Sales Tax
Shipments within Illinois and local pickup must include 9.75% sales tax.
- Contact us if you have any questions regarding payment options.
We participate in eBay's UNPAID ITEM PROCESS. Unauthorized returns are subject to a restocking fee.
|Pay securely with any major credit card through PayPal!|
SquareTrade © AP6.0
- If your product is received defective or not as listed, contact us within 7 days for a return authorization.
- The original invoice, original packaging and blank warranty cards must accompany accepted returns.
- Returns that are incomplete will be subject to a restocking fee.
Please be aware that we cannot accept returns on the following merchandise:
- Underwater equipment that has been submerged
- Inkjet printers that have had ink installed
- All recordable media, ie: DVDs, tapes, digital memory, film, paper, batteries,
chemicals, lamps, filters, books, software, cameras or camcorders (unless defective)
Toll- Free: 800-334-3549 extension 159 (USA only)Local / International: 312-421-6000 extension 159Store Hours (Central Time):Monday-Friday 8:30am to 5:00pmSaturday 9am to 5pm
Monday - Friday: 8:30am to 5:00pm