This is a "Multiple Variation" style listing. Use the "Seed Qty" drop-down menu, above, to select quantity/weight.
20 Seeds for $2.00
60 Seeds for $4.00
120 Seeds for $6.00
240 Seeds for $9.00
480 Seeds for $16.00
1,440 Seeds for $32.00
This item ships free when paid together with any other purchase.
Hops, Humulus lupulus, Perennial Vine Seeds
Hardy, Adaptable, Easy to Grow, Fast Growing, Fragrant Flowering Vine, Attracts Butterflies, Edible Fruits
Humulus lupulus is a dioecious, rhizomatous, twining, perennial vine which grows rapidly and vigorously to 15 to 25 feet long each year by mid-summer. Humulus lupulus is most commonly referred to as Hops. It can be pruned as a shrub but usually grown on a trellis. Hops (the dried ripe cones of the female flowers) of Humulus lupulus are commonly used by breweries as an ingredient to preserve and flavor beer. It can also be made into a soothing, relaxing tea or grown and enjoyed for its luxurious, abundant foliage.
Although frequently referred to as the hop "vine", it is technically a bine; unlike vines, which use tendrils, suckers, and other appendages for attaching themselves, bines have stout stems with stiff hairs to aid in climbing. It is a perennial herbaceous plant which sends up new shoots in early spring and dies back to the cold-hardy rhizome in autumn. Hop shoots grow very rapidly and at the peak of growth can grow 8 to 20 inches per week. Hop bines climb by wrapping clockwise around anything within reach, and individual bines typically grow between 7 to 50 feet depending on what is available to grow on. The coarsely serrated leaves are opposite, with a 3 to 5 inch Petiole and a cordate-based, palmately lobed blade 5 to 10 inches. When the hop bines run out of material to climb, horizontal shoots sprout between the leaves of the main stem to form a network of stems wound round each other. Male and female flowers of the hops plant develop on separate plants (dioecious). Greenish female flowers are borne in small, bracted spikes resembling cones which mature in late summer. Flowers emit a pine-like fragrance and are attractive to butterflies. Female plants, which produce the hops flowers used in brewing beer, often are grown in the absence of male plants. This prevents pollination and the development of viable seeds which are considered undesirable for brewing beer.
Other Names: Common Hops
Zone: 3 to 8
Growth Rate: Fast
Plant Type: Vine
Native Range: British Isles
Height: 15 to 25 feet
Spread: 3 to 6 feet
Shape: Climbing Vine
Bloom Time: September - October
Bloom Color: Green
Flower/Fruit: Dioecious; Male and female plants.
Sun: Full Sun to Part Shade
Fall Color: None
Drought Tolerance: Moderate
Site Requirements/Soil Tolerances: Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade. Prefers moist, rich soils, but has some tolerance for drought. Prefers full sun in northern climates, but needs some shade in the deep South to prevent leaf color from bleaching.
Culture: Needs a support structure on which to climb. Dies to the ground each winter, so stems may be pruned to the ground in autumn after a hard frost.
Uses: Good foliage vine for trellises and arbors. Incorporate into an herb garden. Good screen that will rapidly cover unattractive structures.
Sowing Humulus lupulus Seeds:
For best results, please follow the instructions in the order provided.
Scarify: Soak in water 12 Hours
Stratify: Cold 30 days, 40 Degrees F in a Moist Medium (not wet).
Germination: Sow 1/16” Deep, Keep moist (Not wet).
For more information about seed pretreatment and growing trees and shrubs from seed, please try the following link:
- Seeds Packets are labeled with seed name and sowing details.
- Seeds have not been pretreated unless specified in the listing.
- Seed is not a specific Cultivar (Variety) unless specified in the listing.
- Due to the many factors involved in successful germination, Seller cannot be responsible for buyers growing methods or mistakes.
- I have provided what I believe to be a good overview on this page (which you are free to print for further reference), however, it is still recommended to check specialist literature for more details and practices specific to your climate and soil conditions to avoid mistakes in the germination and growing process.
U.S. Shipping and Handling is $2.45 for the first item and $0.00 for each additional item sent via USPS First Class Mail.
International Shipping and Handling is $3.99 and $0.00 for each additional item sent via USPS First Class International Mail.
- The shopping Cart feature (Add to Cart) is recommended before committing to buy.
- To qualify for discounted shipping, items must be paid on a single invoice. All items are set up to automatically discount shipping. If you feel the total is incorrect, please request an invoice before paying.
- I accept PayPal only. Payment is due within seven (7) days of purchase.
- Please check your invoice BEFORE PAYING. If there is a problem with the amount due please message me so I can correct the problem for you. Buyer assumes responsibility once payment has been made.
- Shipping and handling charges cover: shipping, packaging, handling and insurance. This Does Not cover invalid shipping addresses, customs regulations or Tariffs.
It is the buyer’s responsibility to know their countries customs laws.
- Plant and plant materials including seeds may be restricted from importing to your country. Please check with your customs agency and or post office before purchasing. Upon purchasing this item Buyer accepts the risk of item being confiscated and/or destroyed by customs and Seller will not be held liable for this.
- If you are on my exclusion list it is because: “Plant and plant materials including seeds” are restricted from importing to your country, it is enforced by your country and there is a high rate of customs checking for this.
- Import duties, taxes, and customs charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to buying.
- Tracking is not available for International items. International mail varies from 10 to 30 business days (postal working days) and some countries require certain International items to be picked up at your post office. Upon processing your order, you will be sent a customs number, your shipping date and your shipping address, which you will need in order to retrieve it from your post office if you are required to do so. If these are not picked up in a reasonable time they may be returned or discarded.
- All mail items are subject to inspection by customs when crossing into another country. If stopped for inspection this will cause serious delays in receiving your item(s). You may or may not be notified of this. This may require you to pick up your package from your post office.
Replacements and Refunds:
All items are shipped in a padded envelope. If any items are delivered damaged please notify me with a short description of the damage.
In order to determine if your package is lost the following is required:
Confirmation that the shipping address is correct. Seller is NOT responsible for invalid shipping addresses.
A sufficient amount of time has passed from the date shipped to allow for any package that took the scenic route to get to their destination. The postal service is not perfect and packages may sometimes take a wrong turn but will usually find their way to their destination.
U.S.: Expect 2 to 15 business days (up to 3 weeks).
International: Expect 10 to 30 business days (up to 5 weeks).
International Orders: Confirmation that you have contacted your post office with your customs number as described above.
Return items: Refund will be given if item is returned within 14 days and as it was received.
Upon receiving your item(s) please inspect your purchase right away. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your purchase:
Please notify me with a description of the problem.
You will be authorized to return item as it was received.
Once item has been received by seller, a refund will be promptly given for the purchase price. This does not include shipping and handling unless prior approval has been given.