Details about Beautiful Factory Matched KEF C-Series Flagship C95 Speakers w/Boxes-MSRP $1298See original listing
Jun 19, 2012
California, United States
Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully ... Read moreabout the condition
|Form Factor:||Floor-Standing Tower||Model:||
|RMS Power:||250 W|
Gorgeous Pair of Factory Matched (Sequential Serial Numbered) KEF C95 Bi-Wire / Bi-Amp 3-Way Speakers with Pristine All-Original Coaxial Uni-Q Point Source Drivers and Factory Boxes and Packing Inserts. Made in England and Beautifully Finished in Black Ash, These Speakers Were the Top Of The C-Series Line and Retailed for $1,298 more than 20 years ago!
Unlike B&W which is experiencing
unparalleled popularity and success, KEF is the quiet company that keeps doing
everything right, but doesn’t know how to market their greatness. KEF is
respected and admired by professionals and consumers alike, and people who own
them love them … but KEF doesn’t create the excitement in terms of marketing
buzz that other companies do. This is a fantastic speaker company, and have
been for several decades. The KEF 104/2 and 105/3 speakers are some of the best
of all time, and these Reference Series Q75 speakers are a more modern example
of just how good speakers can look and sound. And, like B&W, virtually
everything that KEF manufactures is of exceptional build quality. These speakers have four speaker cable input
terminations to accommodate Bi-Amp / Bi-Wire connections, and also come with
the original bi-wire factory clips so that standard two-connector wiring can be
The only time anyone voices a complaint about these incredible speakers is when they discuss the bass response. These speakers are incredibly clean and neutral, but only go down to a true 50Hz. Better than standmount speakers, but I would still recommend a quality subwoofer is recommended to flesh out the bottom octaves. Room positioning is also important, because these speakers are pretty directional in terms of tweeter dispersion - the sweet spot is not very high or wide. Taking the time to find that perfect toed–in symmetrical room location will pay off enormously with these speakers. The other important point to make about these C-95 loudspeakers is that they are wonderfully clean and transparent, which is both a good and a bad thing. If you use cheap components in your system – in particular amplification – these speakers will only make your system sound worse, not better. These speakers are only worthwhile when you drive them with superior components, and then they truly sing. They can handle loads of power, and I recommend a pure amplifier of 150 - 250 watts and good headroom to drive these, and you will be amazed at the clarity and dynamics.
Functionally the speakers are absolutely flawless. All original drivers, completely unmarked and they have never been repaired or modified. Unlike the famous KEF 104.2 / 105.3 speakers, all drivers have Butyl Rubber surrounds and do not decompose over time like foam surrounds – these should last a lifetime. The cabinets are in superb shape, however they are not perfect. The only real blemish is a ding on the back corner which has been touched up nicely – it is not immediately evident even on close inspection. The edge where it was dinged is ever so slightly raised. This is extremely subtle, and you need the right directional lighting to see it. The bottom edge of one cabinet has a couple of very small edge flakes. Otherwise the cabinets are very clean, with only very small scuffs and scratches - no large scrapes, dings, dented edges or other blemishes on the cabinet surfaces. The grills are original and in excellent shape – only two tiny spots where the fabric is frayed - no holes, stains or cracked frame members. KEF designed a very odd grill attachment mechanism – the grill is pressure fitted into slots on the side of the baffle, and it takes some getting used to the amount of pressure required to release them. Getting them on is easy – they just snap into place, butt getting them off is more of a challenge. There are many little tabs that hold the grills on and one is broken - it does not affect the fit and cannot be seen when the grill is attached. Otherwise, the speakers look and sound great – crystal clear, very neutral and terrific imaging.
Here is information from KEF on the C Series speakers:
In the C75 and 95 the Uni-Q array is a type 200_25 - comprising a 200mm (8inch) polymer cone midrange and a coincident mounted 25mm (1 inch) soft dome tweeter. The woofer and tweeter not only share the same axis, but also have their acoustic centres in the same plane. And, as both units have similar directivity in the crossover region, you experience pin-point stereo imaging with reduced tonal colouration throughout a broader area of your listening room.
From the award winning Reference Model 104/2 the C95 inherits coupled cavity bass loading which allows the efficiency of a reflex system with the superior transient behaviour of a closed box. The addition of conjugate load matching provides the amplifier with a pure resistive load with subsequent benefits in ease of drive and in exploiting the full power output of the amplifier.
You can download the excellent KEF brochure that gives details and specifications on all of the C-Series speakers as well as info on the Uni-Q design for free here:
KEF C95 Speaker Specifications:
* System type: Three-Way, Floor Standing Coupled Cavity Reflex
* Drive units:
… 8” (200mm) B200 / SP1238 Die-Cast Chassis Bass unit
… 8” (200mm) B200 / SP1245 Coaxially Mounted Uni-Q Midrange Unit
… 1” (25mm) NT25 / SP1240 Coaxially Mounted Uni-Q Polymer Dome Ttweeter
* Crossover Frequencies: 100 Hz / 2,500 Hz
* Nominal impedance: 4 ohms
* Power Handling: 250W
* Frequency response: 50Hz to 20kHz +/-3.0dB
* Sensitivity: 90dB at 1m for 2.83V
* Maximum output: 112dB
… Height: 34.3” (870mm)
… Width: 9.7” (246mm)
… Depth: 12.5” (316mm)
* Weight: 41.6 lbs (18.9 kg) each
These KEF C-95 Speakers retailed for $1,298 back in 1988 – a lot of money 24 years ago! The AudiogoN Bluebook lists an average used resale value of $380 regardless of condition. Here is a terrific opportunity to buy an excellent pair of C-95 speakers that are thoroughly tested, work flawlessly and look superb with all original drivers and factory boxes. The factory boxes are in great shape, and have the factory packing inserts, however they are relatively flimsy and designed mostly for moving around the factory warehouse environment and not really designed to thoroughly protect these speakers from damage in transit. For shipment they will need a second exterior box which will add to the cost of shipping – it will not be cheap to ship these large and heavy floor standing speakers. I can deliver for free if you are local to me in the San Francisco, Marin County or Berkeley area.
Thanks for the interest in my eBay item. Here are the general terms that I have for the item(s) that I have listed:
< NOTE – Pick Ups and Deliveries are in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you are Local to me in San Francisco, Berkeley, Marin County, etc., I will be happy to deliver most items over $100 in value for free. If you are further away, I will still be happy to deliver to you but will charge a nominal fee to cover bridge tolls, gas and vehicle expense. In some instances I will travel further for a fee. >
 – SHIPMENT DESTINATIONS ARE ONLY WITHIN the USA, & the QUOTED RATE FOR STANDARD SHIPPING & INSURANCE are for DELIVERY AREAS WITHIN THE CONTIGUOUS 48 UNITED STATES ONLY!
If you are in a portion of the USA that is not contiguous (Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, Puerto Rico, etc.), or you are in an extremely remote part of the USA that may require additional shipping costs (an island, a mountaintop, in a wilderness area, on board a vessel, etc.), I will still be happy to ship to you however the quoted shipping rate will not apply and I would need to quote you specific rates dependent upon your location. Please note that I am not shipping outside the USA as of this time.
Please note that some items that I sell are not shippable and are for local sale only, and are listed as a Local Sale.
 – ALL SHIPMENTS ARE ON MY SHIPPING ACCOUNT … All Shipments are on my own shipping accounts. I will not ship on your account or a third party account.
 – PAYPAL CONFIRMED SHIPPING ADDRESS … Before you pay with Paypal, be certain that the address that you want me to ship to is exactly what you have locked into Paypal at the time of payment! If you pay with Paypal, you must have a corresponding “Paypal Confirmed” ship to address, and this specific shipping address must be the same one that shows up on my own Paypal receipt of your payment.
On some occasions, buyers have multiple addresses registered with Paypal, and they send me a Paypal payment with one address, and then request to have the item shipped to a second Paypal address. Once you have made the payment to me, the only address that I can see is the original one on the original payment receipt. This is a static “snapshot” of the transaction at the time of payment and cannot be updated or revised, and Paypal will not discuss your account with me at any level.
If you use Paypal, I will not drop ship to another address unless that address shows up on my Paypal receipt as a “Paypal Confirmed” shipping address. If you use another means of payment (ie: Cash Upon Delivery) then this restriction does not apply.
 – INSURANCE … Any item that sells for more than $25 will automatically be insured, and that insurance cost is reflected in the shipping quote on eBay and on your invoice after purchase. I will be happy to add insurance to any item that you buy for less than $25 at your request and at your cost. Note that I can only insure for the exact sale price.
 – SHIPPING SMALL ITEMS … All small, lightweight items (such as CD’s, short audio Interconnect cables, DVD’s, etc.) are being shipped via the United States Post Office at the cheapest means possible.
 – SHIPPING LARGER ITEMS … All larger items (such as most audio components, smaller speakers, heavy exotic speaker cables, etc.) are being shipped via Federal Express Ground. I don’t have a precise line of demarcation yet as to what combination of size and weight is the cutoff for making this decision to go from the Post Office to Federal Express, but in general small Interconnect cables, CD’s, etc. will ship out via USPS, and everything else is Fed Ex. My goal is to lower the cost of shipping as much as possible.
 – EXPEDITING … All my package shipments are shipped on my Federal Express account, and are shipped either via Ground or Ground Home Delivery. If you want your item expedited – either by upgrading the shipping service (next day, 2-day, 3-day, etc.) or expediting the packaging and shipment by me, please make that point known via email BEFORE you make your purchase! While I have often packaged and shipped the same day of the purchase, I have a day job and sometimes travel for a day or two, so I am not always available to expedite a shipment in terms of my packaging turnaround. Note also that expedited shipping costs by all of the carriers (Fed Ex, UPS, USPS, etc.) can sometimes be truly astronomical!
 – SHIPPING TIMELINE … While I am generally very fast shipping the smaller items (within 3 business days), fragile items such as larger audio components and even small speakers with fragile driver faces take a lot of time to pack correctly. It may take me a week to pack even small bookshelf speakers because I am absolutely fanatical about creating a bullet-proof packing solution so that you get your item safe and sound, exactly as it left me. Turntable systems often take the longest because of the amount of disassembly required, and the fragile nature of the tone arm and other parts.
 – IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT EBAY SHIPPING TIMES … Please note that for eBay listings, when you set up a sale it asks you to specify “How many business days prior to shipment?”, and gives you options of 1,2,3,4,5,10, etc. business days. However after the item is listed, the words “business days” does not appear in the listing, and instead the listing just says “days”. It is important to note that Saturday and Sunday are not considered business days, so when a shipping time is listed as 5 days, that means it is exactly one week (7 calendar days), and not 5 calendar days. If you pay on a Monday, it will ship out to you on the following Monday. I package most of my shipped items on the weekend, so it is critical for me to have the weekend to pack within the allotted shipping time even if an item is purchased on a Monday.
 – PAYMENT for Shipped or Delivered items. Sales fall under two general categories -
* (10A) – Items that will be Shipped. Shipped Items are to be paid via Paypal, and payment is due within 3 days / 72 hours of agreeing to the purchase.
* (10B) – Items that will be Delivered Locally. Items that are too large or delicate, or for any other reason deemed non-shippable will either be delivered by me to your home or I will deliver to a rendezvous area that is convenient to us both. NOTE THAT I NO LONGER ALLOW PICK UPS AT MY HOME. Local deliveries need to be mutually agreed upon depending on both of our schedules, and my preference is COD (Cash Upon Delivery). This cash payment is also due within 3 days / 72 hours of agreeing to the purchase. I encourage you to communicate special situations before bidding or buying.
 – DEFERRED SHIPMENT OR DELIVERY OF PREPAID ITEM … Please note that in many situations I am happy to defer Shipments or Deliveries as needed to mesh with your schedule, however these deferred pick ups / deliveries still need to be paid in advance, and typically are pre-paid with Paypal. In some cases I have deferred shipments and deliveries for many weeks to conform to a buyers travel or vacation schedule - my limit is three months.
 – SHIPPING CONSOLIDATION … I am happy to consolidate shipments on multiple items to save you whatever shipping costs are possible. However, please indicate to me immediately if you want to wait on paying the invoice in order to buy more items and have them shipped together. The general rule is that if you buy one item (a CD for example) and want to buy a few more to lower the per item shipping costs, you have a week / 7 days after the last purchase to keep adding to your pile to be shipped. In other words, if you buy a CD on the 4th, and decide then that you want to keep shopping, you have until the 11th to buy at least one more item to the pile. If you buy a 2nd CD on the 10th, then your time extends to the 17th, etc., etc. At some point I will either run out of CD’s or we will agree that what you have bought makes a nice, tidy package to send.
 – QUESTIONS … If you have any questions, please email to resolve before bidding.