ANTIQUE ART NOUVEAU STERLING OVER GLASS INK WELL
William Comyns & Sons
TOTAL WEIGHT: Approx. 1lb. 6oz
Approx. 3” Base Diameter x 3” Width x 3” Height
Lid 1.5” Diameter
HALLMARKS: WC in shield, Lion Passant left, Leopards Head,
m in Shield (letter date for 1907-08)
Lovely Antique Art Nouveau Inkwell by William Comyns & Sons, London features heavy clear leaded glass with ornate flower and ribbon garland design in Sterling Silver Overlay. Makers Marks appear below the hinge as well as date/town marks which also appear inside the lid. The condition is quite good overall, however there are some minor imperfections notable, such as a slight break and possible repair work in the Garland. The hinge is in excellent condition and works well. The Glass is very solid, smooth and as heavy as a paper weight. There are no cracks in the Glass, although we note a tiny chip under five power magnification with a jeweler’s loupe appearing directly below and to the left of the hallmarks, too small to photograph well enough to see. There are a few tiny bubbles deep inside the clear glass and ground finish marks at the base. The Pictures show the condition well.
WILLIAM COMYNS & SONS
(1885 - 1930)
This important firm of manufacturing silversmiths was established by William Comyns c. 1859 when he purchased the business of Robert Tagg, itself said to have been founded about 1730. Robert Tagg moved in 1857 to his new residence and manufactory at 2 Carlise Street, Soho Square, where he listed as a silversmith in 1859.
William Comyns was thereafter listed as a silversmith, appearing to have purchased the business from Tagg in 1858 or early 1859, entering his first marks from the same address. The firm first appears to have made a significant impact in the early 1880s by supplying increasingly large numbers of decorative wares in silver.
In 1885, the firm was changed to William Comyns & Son when William Comyn's two sons, Charles Harling Comyns and Richard Harling Comyns were admitted. William Comyns died in January 1916, and C.H. Comyns passed away while attending a sale at Christie's in 1925. The business was incorporated as William Comyn's & Sons Ltd., registered on 20th October 1930, with R.H. Comyns as permanent governing director.
In 1953, William Comyns & Sons Ltd. was purchased by Bernard Copping. They are now one of the few surviving manufacturing silversmiths in London, with premises at Comyns House, Tower Street, London, WC2.