You are bidding on an attractive and SCARCE old 1/2 DOLLAR BRASS "UNDATED" VARIETY "good for" trade token once used at the "Nevada State Prison" likely used at the prison Casino (yes, casino) generally attributed to Carson City, Nevada.
These old "NEVADA STATE PRISON" tokens are extremely collectible today..especially with numerous articles written about the famed "Bull Pen" casino, dubbed "The worlds most honest casino" in the Carson City region. It has surfaced that these tokens were used for gambling...called "brass" by the inmates...one article a fellow ebayer sent me a copy of documents that these tokens were documented as being used at the "Bull Pen" Casino in the NSP (Nevada State Prison) from 1932 through 1967 era. This token is the largest denomination variety, a very TOUGH variety to find, and would likely have been used in prison Casino.
It is really tough to find these old Nevada Prison tokens, heck, a token worth 50c was a ton of money to an inmate back in this day...gambled or not.
I even have a copy of a photo showing the prison warden (Warden Jack Fogliani) counting the days receipts from the "Bull Pen Casino", and the "winnings" were actually credited to each inmates money account...this is why these old NEVADA prison tokens are so much more collectible....not just used to buy smokes or a soda !!
If you look in the very outdated Nevada token book, this particular prison token is listed as catalog# Ne-1l, which shows "1 specimens reported"...the old Nevada book does not use the typical R1-R10 rarity scale which many western states have adopted, but for any state with "1 to 2 specimens reported" this would be a R-10 token. THIS IS A TOUGH NEVADA PRISON TOKEN TO FIND !!
This is one of the OLDEST nevada prison tokens listed in book (undated, earlier die style)
Trade token is round, brass, about 29mm in diameter (half dollar sized), and it displays nicely. (please see pictures in gallery) Many of these were "worn" due to excessive use (gambling), this one has minor "pocket wear" but is fully readable and decent.
One side says: " NEVADA --- STATE --- PRISON "
Other side says " 50 CENTS "
Scarce old brass prison token, likely used at the old "Bull Pen" Casino inside the Nevada Prison in Carson City, Nevada. I have always found the larger the denomination on these...the tougher to find.
Really hard to find this old Nevada "prison money"....these had multiple uses in the old days.
Thanks so much for looking....collect and invest in history!!!!! Tangible assets are always the best ones.
Here are my policies:
1) Per ebay policy.....Paypal is now the preferred method of payment. (U.S. dollars only) Paypal is welcomed, but email me with any questions you might have about this policy.
2) I will combine shipping for multiple purchases to save winning bidder some money.
3) Payment is required within 7 days of the close of this auction.
4) All International bidders must contact me prior to bidding. I will advise if I can ship to your country, and estimate the costs. (I do not ship to all countries)
5) I diligently try to package items properly (redundant inner packaging, etc). I do not seek to profit from shipping, but only to "do things right".... so you are happy with your purchase when it arrives.
6) Please email if you have questions!!!