2. Press the brake pedal in, turn the key to the on position and move the shifter into neutral, then turn the key off (you won’t be able to remove move the key with the car in neutral).
3. Disconnect battery.
4. Remove shift knob
5. Open center console, remove molded rubber bottom to get to the 3 bolts 8mm and remove them.
6. Remove the rubber tray under the ashtray
7. Remove the rubber liner to the right of the shifter.
8. Remove the plastic trim ring around the shifter by pulling up gently around the edges there are tabs that secure it in the center console.
9. Remove the center dash trim around the radio. There are tabs that snap into the dash up near the AC vents, on either side of the radio and by the AC controls. Start at the AC vents and gently pull the trim towards you, then the radio area and AC controls last till the panel comes free.
10. The trim panel can be left hanging loose or the electrical connectors can be disconnected so it can be put to the side.
11. Pull out the ashtray assembly and right behind it are two screws. Remove the two screws that hold the center console to the dash.
12. To remove the center console pull it back about 1-2 inches to disconnect the air vents in the back of the console from the air ducts.
13. Disconnect the plug from the power plug and remove center console the rest of the way.
14. Disconnect the two electrical plugs from the back of the shifter.
15. Disconnect the brake lockout cable (on driver side of shifter in front) by pressing on the brake pedal and pulling the white housing out of the bracket and lifting the cable end out of the ear on the cylinder.
16. Next the shifter cable needs to be removed (on the passenger side of the shifter in front). You will disconnect it by remove the bolt to the bracket but first make sure you mark where it is located so you can return it to that position when done.
17. Once the shifter cable is disconnected remove the cable assembly from the plastic retainer, which is part of the shifter base. There is a single tab that locks it into place.
18. Remove the (4) 10mm nuts holding the shifter to the floor.
19. At the back of the shifter disconnect the wire going from the base to the top of the shifter for the shift gate lighting.
20. Separate the shifter assembly by releasing the 3 tabs found along the bottom of the assembly. The one at the back of the housing should be done first then the two on either side next.
21. Make sure the shifter is in neutral to remove the factory brake park lockout (pink thing).
22. Add a dab of grease to the shaft the park lockout was sitting on.
23. Install the new park lockout keeping it oriented the same as the factory one.
24. Reconnect the shifter to the lockout and reconnect the spring from the shifter base to the lockout.
25. At this point you can now reassemble the shifter base and retrace the steps to reassemble your car