The choice of brake pad type depends on many factors including riding conditions, vehicle type, and riding style. Here is a summary of the main pad material types, and some information to help you make your decision.
Ceramic Composite brake pads are extremely quiet, and deliver exceptional braking performance over a wide range of driving conditions. The Ceramic Composite braking material provides extreme stopping power when "cold" – right out of the driveway, or "hot" – after miles of all-out mountain highway. Ceramic Composite material is formed using high-strength ceramic fibers and non-ferrous metal filaments bonded at extreme pressure and temperature. Ductile metal-filaments produce a friction material with moderate base CoF (coefficient of friction) for optimal initial "bite", while durable heat resistant ceramic fibers and polymeric binders reduce thermal pad decomposition and out-gassing that contribute to high temperature brake "fade". The non-ferrous metal filament matrix provides high thermal mass and ideal thermal conductivity to quickly conduct energy away from the pad-rotor interface for fast thermal recovery. Lower operating temperatures reduce rotor wear and risk of deformation or warping.
- Extremely quiet – vibration damping ceramic composite virtually eliminates brake "grind" noise and pad "squeal".
- Excellent "cold morning" braking performance – no "warm-up" required as with carbon/graphite or hard sintered full-race ceramic pads.
- Smooth, progressive and controlled braking with exceptional lever response.
- Fast thermal recovery between high-energy stops with minimal high-temperature "brake fade" compared to organic or organic/Kevlar pads.
- Increased rotor life – bonded ductile metal filament structure dramatically reduces rotor wear compared to sintered metal pads.
- Long pad life – durable high-strength bonded ceramic-fiber structure increases pad life over organic or organic/Kevlar pads.
- Low-dusting formula contains no ferrous (iron) compounds that can discolor matte/polished aluminum alloy or chrome-plated wheels.
Full-metallic HH Sintered Bronze brake pads deliver exceptional braking performance under the most demanding conditions – from stunt or street-race riding, to extended high-speed highway or road-race driving. Sintered pads also perform exceptionally well in wet or muddy conditions, making them an excellent choice for off-road and MX (moto-cross) applications. Sintered bronze brake pads are manufactured using a high-pressure, high-temperature, pressed powdered-metal technology to produce a high density friction material with a high COF (coefficient of friction) across the full range of operating temperatures. The non-ferrous metal filament matrix provides high thermal mass and ideal thermal conductivity to quickly conduct energy away from the pad-rotor interface for fast thermal recovery. Lower operating temperatures reduce rotor wear and risk of deformation or warping.
- Excellent for every day riding – exceptional full “hard-stop” braking performance with smooth, progressive and controlled high-speed lever response.
- Superior stopping power compared to carbon organic, Kevlar™ organic, or semi-metallic organic pads.
- Longer pad life than organic, Kevlar™ organic, ceramic, or semi-metallic pads – stable sintered metal structure is impervious to softening and decomposition in wet conditions.
- HH full-metallic sintered friction material provides a high base coefficient of friction (COF) with little or no brake “fade” (reduction of braking force at high operating temperatures).
- Low-dusting formula contains no ferrous (iron) compounds to minimize discoloration of matte/polished wheels.
Kevlar Organic brake pads are perfect where extremely smooth braking performance is desired. These bonded organic pads deliver solid braking performance under normal to aggressive riding conditions. Semi-metallic organic brake pads are manufactured using high-strength polymer binders, Kevlar (aramid) fibers, non-asbestos organic materials and fine metallic particles to form a medium-hard matrix with high durability, good thermal-conductivity and excellent frictional characteristics.
- Perfect for street or touring motorcycles where exceptionally smooth, controlled braking is desired.
- Great for bikes with polished or chrome-plated rotors where minimal rotor wear is important.
- Excellent for dirt-bike and off-road ATV/UTV applications where operation in wet, muddy or sandy conditions makes frequent pad changes necessary.
- Kevlar aramid-fibers and fine metallic particles increase pad life and braking power over full organic (gray) or carbon/graphite organic (gray-black) pads.
- Compatible with cast iron, steel or stainless-steel rotors.