What are Man Made Gemstones?
Man Made gemstones can be classified as Lab Created Stones and Imitation Stones:
Lab Created / Synthetic Stones
Lab Created Stones are created in the laboratory and have similar chemical composition and physical properties of their natural counterparts. For example: A Lab Created Ruby does posses similar chemical composition and physical properties of a natural Ruby.
They are the finest stones money can buy. They look better than natural and all stones are fine gem quality. Most of these stones are made of "Lab Spinel" or "Lab Corundum" or “Lab Quartz”. Even experienced gem dealers and professionals are sometimes puzzled to differentiate between the Natural and Lab Created Stone.
Here are some examples of Lab created stones with their correct composition:
- Lab Created Ruby and Sapphires are made of Lab Corundum (also called Flame fusion method).
- Lab Created Spinels are made of Lab Spinel (also called Flame fusion method). It comes in most hues of Blue and Green, imitating Aquamarine, Blue Topaz. Tourmaline, Zircon, etc...
- Lab Created Alexandrite is made by Czochralski pulling (very expensive method). Lab Created Color Change Sapphire is normally called as Lab Alexandrite (it resembles Alexandrite but a lot cheaper than the expensive Czochralski Alexandrite).
- Lab Created Amethyst, Citrine, Ametrine, Emerald, Aquamarine are made by Hydrothermal process.
Imitation or Simulated Stones
Imitation Stone are made in the laboratory and looks like a natural stone but do not and have similar chemical composition and physical properties of their natural counterparts. For example: A imitation or CZ Ruby does look like a Natural Ruby but do not posses similar chemical composition and physical properties of a natural Ruby.
They just imitate the color and look of a Natural Stone. They are the finest stones money can buy. They look better than natural and all stones are fine gem quality. Most of these stones are made of "Lab Spinel" or "Lab Corundum" or "Lab CZ" or “Glass”. Most dealers will sell these stones as "lab created". But actually they should be called as “Cubic Zirconia” or “CZ” or “Glass” or “Imitation Stones” or “Simulated Stones”.
Some of the imitation stones are also of good quality and also widely accepted in the gem industry. For example:
- Cubic Zirconia (CZ) has been a popular imitation gem that is used in the gem industry for several decades to simulate a natural diamond. This stones has similar look and sparkle to that of a natural diamond but just cost a fraction to that that of a natural diamond. It boasts eye catching sparkle.
- Glass Gemstones are another type of imitation Gemstones. Glass gemstone closely resembles genuine stones like Emerald, Peridot, Rubies, Sapphires, Aquamarine, Tourmaline, etc... Because it is singly refractive this stone boasts consistent color throughout. It also has good refractive index yielding eye catching sparkle and jewelry grade durability for superior productivity and wearability. Glass Gems provides Jewelry Creators with affordable gem alternatives in many color shades. It is available in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. It is ligher than Cubic Zirconia and lot cheaper than cubic zirconia of the same size.
Properties of Lab Cubic Zirconia
Chemical Composition ZrO2
Hardness Mohs 8.5
Specific Gravity 5.65 - 5.95 g/cm3
Refractive Index 2.088 - 2.176
Properties of Lab Corundum
Chemical Composition Al2O3
Hardness Mohs 9
Specific Gravity 3.99-3.98 g/cm3
Refractive Index 1.76 - 1.769
Properties of Lab Spinel
Chemical Composition MgO.3.5 Al2O3
Hardness Mohs 8
Specific Gravity 3.61 g/cm3
Refractive Index 1.727
Properties of Lab Hydrothermal
Chemical Composition SiO2
Hardness Mohs 7
Specific Gravity 2.65 g/cm3
Refractive Index 1.544 - 1.553
Properties of Glass
Chemical Composition - Glass
Hardness Mohs 5.5
Specific Gravity - 2.30 - 4.50 g/cm3
Refractive Index - 1.50 - 1.70
Why buy a Man Made Gemstone?
1. Lab Created stones are the perfect version of the natural stones. Lab created stones usually comes with the best colors and without any flaws or inclusions - that is very rare or highly expensive to be obtained with a natural stone.
2. The price of a Lab stone is just a fraction of the cost of a natural Stone. It is very easy for a gems collector to have various colors, various sizes and shapes for their collection at a low cost. They cost only a fraction of the natural stones.
3. Large size cubic zirconia stones are very ideal for display. They do have a very good sparkle and look very beautiful when kept in display. They are ideal for display at home or office.
4. Sine man made gemstones have very good sparkle and flawless, they can make a perfect gift for anyone. These are most beautiful, valuable and durable gifts that you can offer for your loved ones.
If you need any additional information about man Made Gemstones, please feel free to contact us.
We do have several decades of experience in this industry and we can give you explanations both technically and practically.