This guide is just a warning for anybody interested in adding, using, or planning on buying a Used Hypertech Programmer.
- After a Hypertech Programmer has been USED, the programmer downloads the factory settings and stores the information and uploads the new modified settings to your vehicles computer. Doing so, now puts the programmer into a state known as VIN LOCKED. The programmer will only work on the vehicle where the VIN ( Vehicle Identification Number ) matches the one downloaded from the computer.
- If the last owner has NOT returned the vehicle to FACTORY SETTINGS, the programmer is USELESS. When the last owner returns the vehicle to factory settings in the options menu on the programmer, the programmer uploads the factory settings back to the computer, and clears the memory on the programmer.
- Always ask the seller whether or not the last vehicle has been returned to Stock, or whether or not the programmer is VIN Locked.
Couple more quick notes:
- Hypertech has horrible support especially when dealing with re-sale. They don't like that word.
- You MUST return you vehicle to factory settings when you bring your vehicle for a service or repair. Often mechanics use diagnostic readers, re-programmers, DTC Code Resetters. All these erase the hypertech information. Your hypertech can't return factory settings over top of factory settings. It just won't work. Essentially the programmer is VIN locked to your previous computer settings. The unit is useless and Hypertech will help you somewhat. What I mean is that you have to have your receipt, be within 1 year, and pay a service fee.
- Version Numbers are critical. Dealerships often flash vehicles with new firmware (software) do to small errors. Hypertech only offers support to receipt holders.
- **NEW** I just bought another new one for my 2008 Sierra. Now in 2010, I decided to upgrade my truck with a lift kit and larger tires. Nice huh? Bad news is that if you go over 35" tires, which I went with 38" tires, the programmer enters 38" tires fine, but you get the Anti-Lock Brake icon + the brake icon on. A quick search on google shows that I'm not the only one to have this problem. No fix from Hypertech, their instructions is to buy there odometer fix. Why did I buy this programmer if I can't adjust my tire size like the box says? Hypertech is dropping the ball. USB updateable... yet no fix? They've released updates but not for what I needed! Thanks Hypertech!
Don't get stuck like me. I bought one, PAID duty through the behind (close to $60), only to have it VIN locked. Seller was kind enough to refund, but still doesn't help the duty paid.
Help me help others, and rate my guide HELPFUL so that less people get scammed!