Sanding could be a very messy, dangerous job, here are some tips to using sanders.
1. Pay attention to what your doing at all times. Don't allow yourself to become distracted or daydream; this is when accidents are most likely to occur.
2. Be sure the workpiece is secured on the work surface. Use clamps if neccessary.
3. Start a power sander before placing it on the workpiece.
4. Use both hands to control the sander.
5. Don't set the sander down until it has stopped moving.
6. Empty the dust bag frequently.
7. Do grinding work at a slight angle, with just the top third of the disk in contact with the workpiece.
8. Use light pressure, and don't lean into or onto the sander.
9. Keep the sander level as you move it across the workpiece.
Extra Tip: Be cautious when switching from wood to metal surfaces as wood dust could be ignited from spark from the metal.