Used Laptop Buying Caution:
Are looking to buy a used or refurbished laptop on eBay? eBay is a great place to buy one - but I think you need to be careful. I see many good looking ads for laptops that are selling for a couple hundred bucks. Good price for some maybe - but I wonder about most of them.
Many sellers advertise "Lightning Fast" or "Powerful" but in fact they are selling laptops with 300MHz or less processors and less then 256MB of Ram.
Facts about older laptops with 300MHz or Less processors:
- They may take 2-3 Minutes to Power-Up and load a Web Page
- The Hard Drives and Ram Memory are also much slower then newer models
- They are often limited when trying to add more Ram Memory or larger Hard Drives
- They were designed to run Windows 95, 98 or SE and NOT Windows XP
- They may not accept all the programs that you may want to install
- They are probably 6-10 years old
In my opinion as of Oct 2006, you really should try to get at least a 1GHz processor laptop, this may cost $300 - $400 but the extra 50% even 100% in price will result in a 100% to 300% gain in speed and capacity.
And remember it's the hard drives and batteries that wear out every few years, look for models with new ones.
With our DaytonIT eBay Store, we bring 15 years of Laptop experience into each laptop that we sell.
Good Luck and Happy Bidding