Do NOT make any of the mistakes in this alphabetized listwhile bidding or selling on eBay!
The results can hurt both your ego and your pocketbook!
- Assume you will get a valid manufacturer's warranty for electronic items or cameras
- Believe all emails from "eBay "or "PayPal" are really from eBay or PayPal.
- Believe buyers whose email message includes the word "Nigeria".
- Believe that eBay acts as an agent for Craigslist or any other auction site.
- Bid on an item before determining shipping/handling charges.
- Bid on an item worth more than $10, when listed by a 10-FB Chinese seller.
- Buy a designer or expensive electronics item not listed by an authorized distributor.
- Buy an item via email, after losing an auction, without a real Second Chance Offer.
- Click on a link in an auction to get the Buy-It-Now price.
- Close a complaint before you are really satisfied.
- Email the seller to get the Buy-It-Now price.
- Ignore Paypal / eBay filing deadlines if a transaction problem arises .
- Ignore seller's feedback numbers and comments.
- Ignore the admonition: "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is".
- Include your email address or pictures of your kids in your ME page or on an auction.
- Let buyers use their own shipping accounts.
- Pay for an auction with Western Union or Moneygram instant payments.
- Refund a buyer before the item (or proof of damage) is returned.
- Ship an item without Delivery Confirmation (or Signature Confirmation when necessary).
- Use the same password for eBay and PayPal
Pi_R_Square's ME Page
Trust & Safety Unofficial FAQ
(the above is an old version of the Unofficial FAQ, and eBay formatting changes have caused many of the links to be broken. Sorry, but you will have to scroll down in the FAQ, to read the valuable info.)
Now, for some things you really should do:
New Buyer? Read ALL of this: Basics for Buyers
New Seller? Read ALL of this: Basics for Sellers
Then, put a copy of this under your pillow, so your brain can absorb it while you are asleep: The Seller Protection FAQ
If you found this information useful, please click on the YES button, below.
If you would like more / specific guides on maintaining your safety on eBay or PayPal, send me a message via eBay's Message System.
Looking for a list of internet and governmental watchdogs to which you can complain if you were scammed or cheated? Visit Pi_R_Square's ME Page , and follow the trail of breadcrumbs to the "Got Stung, Got Scammed?" area.