Welcome to the wonderful world of THE SYBARITES by SUPERFROCK LTD.
This is a guide to the Sybarites produced from 2005-10. I have just created a new guide for the "next generation" of Sybarites, which debuted in 2011. There have been some important and exciting changes in the Sybarite sculpt and body. Please visit the new guide once you have read this one: THE SYBARITES: A BUYER's GUIDE PART II for all the latest information .
Perhaps you may have discovered the Sybarites here on eBay or on one of the online doll collectors' forums and photo sites. The SYBARITES have also been featured in HAUTE DOLL magazine, DOLLS, FDQ, DOLL READER, Womens' Wear Daily, and on the BBC among other places. They have won numerous awards including DOLL OF THE YEAR and PEOPLES' CHOICE awards from DOLL READER magazine.These resin, ball jointed dolls are for the adult collector who wants a true haute-couture, contemporary, fashion doll with an exquisite up to the second wardrobe and plenty of attitude. They are not intended as toys for children.
The name "SYBARITE" (SYB rhymes with "rib") means "a person devoted to luxury and pleasure" . The creators of THE SYBARITES are Charles Fegen and Desmond Lingard who began SUPERFROCK LTD. in London about ten years ago. At first the artists created beautiful one of a kind couture for Barbie, Gene and the Tonner fashion dolls, yet they longed for their own fashion doll to refelct their own aesthetics. Their dream became a reality in 2005 with the release of the first SYBARITES.
The trademark SUPERDOLL COLLECTIBLES is used by SUPERFROCK LTD. In other words: Superfrock is the parent company, Superdoll Collectibles is their doll making business, and THE SYBARITES are the product.
The best way of course to learn about the SYBARITES is to have the experience of owning one. Their beautiful finishing, heavy weight and painstakingly detailed outfits make these dolls unique in the fashion doll universe, but most of all, their utterly captivating presence and beauty are a thing apart.
WHAT A SYBARITE IS LIKE:
SYBARITES are 17 inches tall, and are made of resin which is strung with elastic. The joints are engineered to rotate (17 poiints of articulation) and this, along with the elastic, gives the doll a wonderful 'live' quality when you hold her. While the dolls will not stand without some help (such as a stand, or careful posing in the right pair of shoes), they can assume many many lifelike poses, far more than the average vinyl fashion doll.
SYBARITES are all wigged dolls. Some of the SYBARITES, usually the more basic, lingerie dolls, are designed so that their wigs may be removed. Others -- these are the fully costumed Sybarites -- have more elaborate hairstyles which are not meant to be taken down and these wigs will be very firmly glued on. It is recommended that you do not remove the wig from such a doll.
SYBARITES have attached eyelashes. The eyes themselves are painted. The makeup follows the very latest runway trends and beyond. All the painting is done by hand with a brush or airbrush, without screens or any other guides, by one artist.
The SYBARITE figure is gorgeous and very womanly . The hip joints are not meant to be on view and all SYBARITES originally come with hose. Like fine porcelain the resin can be breakable and some ordinary sensible care should be used when handling a SYBARITE, such as dressing her on a padded surface and preventing falls. The doll should be well wrapped and double boxed when shipping.
There are three possible body markings used between 2005-10: the handmade early dolls made in England (such as Tattoo, and the Chalk Whites), marked on the small of the back SDMDR © 2004/5, the original factory body in a lighter resin, made in Asia, marked SYBARITE ©2004/5, and the revised factory made dolls which debuted in 2006 marked THE SYBARITES ©2006/7 . The later dolls are slightly larger in the bust and hip, but the difference is not very great. A few Sybarites were produced in French Resin in 2008, now discontinued (see below). These have the 2006/7 backstamp.
Though the SYBARITES may be grouped by body type they are identified by clone as well, which refers to the head mold used. There are slight differences from mold to mold. This year several Sybarites have new head sculpts See the individual listings below for more detail.
HOW TO GET A SYARITE
The majority of Sybarites are sold on the website of SUPERFROCK, LTD. as they are released. Special edition SYBARITES have been offered by HAUTE DOLL, MARL & B, JEFFREY NY and ANGELIC DREAMZ. The first Sybarite 'convention doll' debuted at the PARIS FASHION DOLL FESTIVAL. These much anticipated dolls sell out very quickly to the avid collectors.
The edition sizes for the factory produced dolls have ranged from 350 pieces down to just twelve, (see chart below).
HOW MANY SYBARITES ARE THERE?
2005: EARLY DOLLS: (Clone 0101 and 0102)
- PROTOPTYPE, EXPERIMENTAL and EARLY DOLLS which remain in the posession of Superdoll
- TATTOO Clone 0101, LE 30, special painted finish, studio piece doll, (i.e. hand painted by the artists and assembled and dressed in the London studios)
- CHALK WHITES Clones 0101 and 0102: One of a kind dolls in a hand cast chalk-white resin. These may be Clone 0101 or 0102. They are of course studio pieces. The original Chalk Whites were made between 2005-7. They are the 'ultimate' Sybarites. One of a kind dolls are marked by a red string tied around the wrist
LATE 2005: FIRST FACTORY DOLLS a.k.a. TRANSITIONAL DOLLS (Clone 0103)
- SUREAL Haute Doll Exclusive, LE 100
- THE 400 CLUB: Sugar, Sushi (LE 75 each) Sabbatha and Skye (LE 95 each), these two were exclusive to Haute Doll Magazine
Collector's Note: These dolls are made of a lighter weight, more fragile resin but they are exquisitely detailed. They are more loosely strung than the later dolls and they are not felted. The wigs are not glued on. Each came with lingerie set, boots, leg warmers,wig, stand and carry bag; Sureal also came with a dress.
Also note that from this point onward each Sybarite is tagged with a small metal hangtag on the right wrist.
2006: SECOND GENERATION SYBARITES (Clone 0104)
Collector's Note: Made of a heavier resin material, these dolls are more tightly strung than the prior generation of Sybarites, and had glued on wigs. The joints are not felted.
- COUTURE SAVAGE GIFT SET Haute Doll Exclusive (doll, clothing and additional accessories) LE 350
- SANTA BABY Marl & B Exclusive LE 100, $NO BABY LE 75, COAL LE 60 Lingerie dolls with accessories
All the dolls from Marl & B have shoes made with a special exclusive last.
Note: Another doll made in 2006 was:
- COSMA SHIVA GALAXINA Clone 0102, LE 30 She was hand painted and dressed by Superdoll in their London studio as the event doll for their "Syb-A-Fest-O" in October 2006. Her wig was made of mohair and lightly glued to the head.
2007: REVISED SECOND GENERATION SYBARITES (Clone 0104)
Some of the 2007 SYBARITES had unique details. EATON has a separate big toe for wearing thong shoes. MOON has newly resculpted hands, feet and an inset arm band which cannot be removed. PONY was the only doll produced in 2007 with a removeable wig. The color BLADE dolls were made for store display and are very rare, as some were damaged while on display.
- CHELSEA GIRLS: Savoy, Sloane and Eaton LE 134 each Wigged, fully dressed dolls with accessories.
- PONY LE 134 Lingerie doll with removeable wig
- BLADE Jeffrey NY Exclusive Gift Set (doll and two extra outfits) LE 150, Indigo Blade LE 10 Light Blue Blade LE 2 and Cocoa Blade LE 10 All came with a gown, "Le Smoking" style suit, lingerie and accessories in a special large gift box. This is the most expensive of the LE Sybarites to date.
- PANTHERIA Sybeau Monde Exclusive LE 12 Wigged, fully dressed dolls with accessories. This is the smallest LE for an individual design. This doll was not sold but given to helpers at the event.
- COUTURE SALON Haute Doll Exclusive LE 250 Fully dressed and accessorized doll gift set. A chair for SALON was sold separately, it is LE100
- LIMOUSINE Marl & B Excl. LE 150 Wigged, fully dressed doll with accessories.
- MOON LE 100 Wigged, fully dressed doll with accessories. This doll feaures a nonremovable gold arm band
Collecor's Note: Since mid-2007 all SYBARITES have felted joints: i.e. the joints are lined with a material which provides an improved handling quality and helps with posing.
SUMMER is the first produced from an exciting new clone: 777 which was taken from the original sculpt. ; Two of the IT girls feature new head sculpts, called Clone 0601 and 0701, as well as a carmel and a light brown skintone.
In late 2007 Superdoll Collectibles began to make a few dolls in French Resin. Those were all one of a kind studio piece, artist dolls. Following these experiments, in 2008 Superdoll released one gift set in French Resin, the PATIENCE AND YVES dolls (LE 30 each, Clones 0201 and 0301). These dolls had new facial sculpts and interchangeable hands. The use of French Resin has now been discontinued.
- TRAPEZE LE 300 Angelic Dreamz Excl. (Clone 0104) Lingerie doll sold with two wigs (Four colors in all were made - she came with one black and a second color chosen at random) a purse and a mock croc carrying bag.
- EPOCHALYPSE Paris Fashion Doll Festival Excl. LE 75, Epochalypse Noir LE 20, Epochalypse Bleu LE 6(Clone 0104) Fully dressed doll with accessories
- FASHION VICTIMS: Parsley, Sage and Rosemary LE 100 each (Clone 0104) Dressed dolls with accessories
- SUMMER LE 100 (Clone 777) Fully dressed andf wigged doll
- COUTURE SWALLOW LE 250 Haute Doll Magazine Exclusive; Couture Swallow Black Hair LE ? Salon Exclusive (Clone 777) Dressed doll with accessories and unique "birds' claw" back markings
- QUEEN B Marl & B Exclusive LE 125 (Clone 777); Gold QUEEN B, Salon Exclusive LE 25 (Clone 777) Lingerie doll with "royal" accessories
- "IT Girls": RAJA STEIN LE200 Haute Doll Excl. (Clone 0501) Golden tan complexioned lingerie doll with removable wig
- "IT Girtls" : INQUE LE 200 Amgelic Dreamz Excl. (Clone 0601) Light tan complexion lingerie doll with removable wig
- "IT Girls": VENUS LE 200 Clone 777 Light complexioned lingerie doll with removeable wig
Collector's Note : These dolls all have the newly resculpted hands and feet that debuted with MOON in 2007. The older shoes may not fit them.
The year has been interesting for collectors on account of a slight expansion in the range of dolls produced by Superfrock: the introduction of the 14 inch porcelain INNOQUII. There were four of these produced in editions of 200 pieces. Not officially SYBARITES though the faces are based on the DC d'Royce sculpt, these charming cabinet dolls are a salute to the fashion dolls of the past. This line has now been discontinued. A new celebrity doll, BETH DITTO was created on commission for EVANS shop in England which will be introducing Beth's new plus size fashion line this summer. This doll was a very small edition of 3 and will not be produced for the public.
As customary there were plenty of Sybarites too:
- PEEP LE100 Paris Fashion DOll Festival Excl.Clone 777 Dressed, wigged doll and accessories
- PEEP BLANCHE LE 20 Color Variation Paris Fashion Doll Festival Excl. Clone 777
- "Necro" PEEP LE10 specially customized exhibit dolls from the PFDF in black vers. of Peep outfit
- FUGU LE 100 Haute Doll Exclusive Clone 0701 Dressed, wigged doll and accessories. Asian sculpt and new very pale complexion
- FORTUNE COLLECTION LE100 Each: Avalon, Karma and Seville Clone 777 Dressed, wigged dolls and accessories
- SANCTUARY LE150 Marl and B Exclusive Clone 777 Dressed, wigged doll and accessories
- FORTUNE HUNTERS: INQUE LE 150 Lingerie doll. Revised version of Inque with a dark chocolate skintone Clone 0602; IVORY LE 150 Lingerie doll, new sculpt Clone 0902; VENUS LE150 Lingerie doll Clone 777; VOLTAIRE LE 150 Lingerie doll in a new sculpt Clone 801 and a new skin tone
- THE CROSS Haute Doll Exclusive LE150 Dressed, wigged doll V d'R Clone 777
Four new Sybarites were introduced at the time of the Paris Fashion Doll Festival this year. Two were offered at the PFDF while the others were offered in conjunction with Le Musée de la Poupée-Paris' exhibit "Nouvelles Icone -- des poupées Pandores et Sybarites" March 14 - September 19 2010. SLIPPER is the museum exclusive doll while LIBRIUM was a special edition Sybarite issued to attendees of the exhibit launch party, "Speak + Spell". This very special doll is a tribute to VALIUM, one of the earliest hand painted OOAK Sybarites. TICK and TOCK were PFDF exclusives. These dolls both featured a unique "Ear Wig" with attachments for earrings, simulating pierced ears, and UV reflective accessories.
COLLECTOR'S NOTE: SLIPPER was the first Sybarite to come in a new BJD style plastic travel case, in silver vinyl fully padded and lined with the familliar pink satin. MAVERICK and MANTILLA came in a similar case, in black.
- SLIPPER LE 300 Musée de la Poupée Exclusive (Clone 777) Lingerie doll with flocked head, no wig, silver carry bag. WINNER of 2010 PEOPLE'S CHOICE DOTY AWARD (Doll Reader)
- TICK LE 150 Paris Fashion Doll Festival Excl. (Clone 777) Event doll for the "Disco 3000" party, this fully dressed doll with accessories features an "ear wig" designed to simulate pierced ears, with attachments for earrings.
- TOCK LE 100 PFDF/Superdoll Excl. (Clone 777) Lt. tan skin tone similar to VOLTAIRE, dressed doll with UV reflective makeup and accessories, including an "ear wig" and earrings like Tick's.
- LIBRIUM LE 50 Speak + Spell event exclusive (Clone 0202 -- Librium DC d'R -- reissued DC d'R sculpt) Fully dressed doll with accessories in the same pale complexion as FUGU.
- MAVERICK LE 75 Clone 777 Fully dressed, wigged doll with accessories.
- MANTILLA LE 75 Clone 777 Fully dressed, wigged, doll with accessories.
MAVERICK and MANTILLA are the very last of the Generation II Sybarites. There was an "intermission" in the Sybarite story as a new Sybarite body was introduced in February 2011.
A word to the serious collector: keep your eye out for some unusual sample, variant or photo model dolls which have turned up on the market. These very rare dolls were not originally meant for sale. These may include a Savoy with blonde rather than red hair, or a retouched Couture Savage used in a special display, and others.
HOW TO KEEP A SYBARITE HAPPY
All SYBARITES demand and insist on lots of F.B.R. (Fashion Beyond Reason - the official SUPERDOLL COLLECTIBLES trademark) fashions for the latest in extreme, avant garde apparel. It was Superdoll's intention from the outset to produce a few outfits and accessories earmarked for each doll, but of course all SYBARITES can wear all FBR fashions. Some won't wear anything else! Unfortunately, we can take only a very brief look at their fashions here. You may find photos of many of these outfits in HAUTE DOLL Magazine each month.
The SYBARITES have an especially glamorous shoe wardrobe too. SYBARITES must wear Syb shoes (other dolls' footwear will not fit properly). From 2008 onward the new foot sculpt has required a different shoe mold and earlier shoes may or may not fit the current SYBARITES.
Superdoll wigs fit the SYBARITES much better than other wigs as their heads are a "between" size. It should be mentioned finally that the 2008 doll INQUE has a slightly larger head than the other SYBARITES and some of the earlier wigs may not fit her.
- COLOR SHOP WIGS (set of 4)
- ACCESSORY PACKS: AUTOMATIC and SNO-ORCHID
- CLASSIC 8 OUTFITS: 8 completely accessorized outfits with wigs, for the 400 Club dolls): Kick, Powder, Parfum. Magi, Oyster, Speed. Nylon and Tribe. LE 100
- BOOT PACKS: Tattoo and Leopard print long boots, silver mirror short boots
- GODIVA COMPLEX wig/shoe sets - came in 5 colors
- SHOE PACKS: Mercury, Atomic - each with a purse and shoes
- BAN THE HUNT outfits for the CHELSEA GIRLS: Foxhole, Bloodhound and Dearhunter. Each of these came with a doll sized rifle and ammo belt LE 100
- SALON CHAIR for Couture Salon, Haute Doll Exclusive
- BEAUMONDE Sybeau Monde/A Lofty Affaire exclusive, LE100 - for Couture Savage
- SYBEAU MONDE/LOFTY AFFAIRE exclusive SHOE PACKS sets of 5 shoes in classic(A) or pastels(B)
- NITRO GLISTEN dress with accessories, for Moon LE 100
- JOY! Bustier
- FASHION VICTIMS outfits: : KILL KELLY (in 2 colors, green and black), THYME, PRIDE, CELERY, CATNIP and ROCK-IT (5 outfits) LE 100 each
- I-BEANS Sunglasses, in 4 different colors (Gold, yellow, blue and silver).
- DISCOBUM: Mirrored chaise
- Mini Outfit Packs: NO BALLET, GO NAKED, HOT-HOT LE 100
- Wigs: VICTIMIZE, FIREHEAD, THE NATURAL, THE BUNNY, THE NAOMI, THE SEVERE, THE ROMANTIC (The last four came with hair extensions.)
- Hosepacks: Brights and Neuturals, sets of 5 hose
- MASS Dress (for Couture Swallow) with accessories LE 150
- Accessory Packs: ORBIT(sweater set), BZZ!(sweater, purse, shoe set) GLAMINATOR (boots) , HESIGLAM(shoe/purse pack) Probably LE 100
- Gowns: IGUANA BLUE and POISON for the IT GIRLS each LE 100
- Demi-Couture Outfits: ORB, BLAZE and ZEPHYR for the IT GIRLS Each came with a doll sized diamante studded gas mask (LE 100 each)
- BOXTRAP: an accessory designed for helping to carry your Sybarite cartons.
- CANDYACHE, REEF and DROPGLASS Gowns for the IT GIRLS each LE 100
- XXX LE100 Outfit for the Paris Fashon Doll Festival
- EVEREST Silk gown in two colorways: gray or white both with a silver print LE 100
- DISCO and ATTENTION shoe/purse packs (LE 100 each)
- BASIQUE Gift Set 2 pc outfit, sequinned gown, shoes boots, lingerie and hose LE 100
- KNIFE: Shoe/Purse Pack LE 100
- DISGUISE: Scarf/cats' eye glasses sets in 3 colorways
- I-BEANS: Sunglasses in four new colors for 2009
- JACKIE_HANGER: Clothing rack in silver (an LE50 gold version is available at the Salon in London)
- FORTUNE HUNTERS outfits: LOVE, WILL and TESTAMENT for the FORTUNE dolls, LE 100 Each
- SUPER_LEGGINGS set of three pair, came in two colorways, LE50 each set
- SWITCHBLADE Lingerie set in hatbox LE100
- GODIVA SEQUEL wig set in champagne, rose and claret blended colors LE100 sold as complete set of three
- PATINA short dress with boots and POLYVIOLET gown with shoes each LE100
- BASIQUE DEUX Gift Set including silver skirt, bustier, long white gown and accessories LE 100
- MEEOW outfit LE 100
- PURRR outfit LE100
- DAZE-BED furniture piece, LE 20 (available only in London)
PURRR and MEEOW, which appeared at the very end of 2010, are the only two FBR outfits produced that year, as Superdoll concentrated on the revisions to the Sybarite body and sculpt. The revised Sybarites should be available in early spring 2011.
Collector's Note: Superdoll also produces the occasional gown or accessory in-house. These are mostly very small edition fashions which may be sold on their website, or at their London salon. In addition, 5 mohair wigs called HEADSKINS and a chair, the SPLINE CHAIR, were custom-made for Tattoo in 2005 and sold on Superdoll's website.
BUYING A SYBARITE ON eBAY
The secondary market for the SYBARITES is very lively and you can expect plenty of competition -- especially for the latest issues and the harder to find dolls. Due to the SYBARITES' popularity, there is a great deal of scalping going on. To protect your own financial interests, as scalpers' prices are seldom regained when the doll is resold later, researching the price history of your item is a great idea.
You may find repainted SYBARITES for sale, but as with most repaints, the artist's selling price is rarely gotten back if the doll is resold later by the purchaser. On the other hand, mint, NRFB and perfect SYBARITES continue to retain and exceed their original selling prices in the current market.
In the world of collectibles buy with the heart, as you should. It makes no sense to buy something just to keep it in a closet. Yet affairs of the heart are subjective matters. Remember nonetheless to keep in mind that three things count the most when determining what to pay: condition, completeness and scarcity. If you are longing for a particular SYBARITE, it is wise to study the market a bit before buying. Know what you are getting, as often dolls are sold without their wigs, stands, hose and wrist tags (all SYBARITES come with these basics), or an outfit may be sold without the shoes or some other bits and pieces. While the seller has an obligation to be honest it is the buyer's responsibility to ask questions about any concerns they may have before bidding.
Unless you require a mint doll, dolls with minor defects offer a good value so long as the defect does not interfere with the doll's ability to pose. Chips around the joints of the doll or broken fingers are the most often seen kinds of damage. Eyelashes may be missing (All SYBARITES have applied lashes). The resin can become stained by clothing. Stain removal attempts unfortunately may also remove the matte coating on the dolls, this should be handled by someone familliar with BJD repair and stringing. Dolls whose wigs were removed may have glue residue, scrape marks or staining on the head.
Edition sizes do not necessarily predict the desirability of a doll to collectos, though it can. Some of the most beautiful SYBARITES were larger edition sizes. For example, several DOTY Awards were given to COUTURE SAVAGE, a relatively large edition piece. Bear in mind that in a world where products are mass produced in the thousands, even an edition of 350 is quite small.
SYBARITES mailed can be anywhere from 4-8 lbs. packed. A loose doll should be well wrapped in bubble wrap taped securely around her body, then boxed. A doll in its original box should be securely positioned in the box with a bit of extra packing material, such as bubble wrap, around vulnerable areas like the fingers and knee joints. Double boxing, being sure to providing some space in a shipping box for plenty of cushioning material such as plastic peanuts, and insuring the box, are highly recommended practices.
Thank you for reading my guide and hope it was helpful. Please note: I am not affiliated with any doll company. Opinions expressed herein are mine. All trademarks and copyrights are owned by SUPERDOLL COLLECTIBLES and SUPERFROCK LTD.