After cleansing/toning you need to treat the skin. Here is where you get to decide what about your skin needs tweeking - and so, here is where your skincare regimen becomes personal. You can use 0-3 treatments on your skin (in the AM and PM - then can be the same or different). If you want to use 2 or 3 and have questions about the order they are applied then send me a message and I'll help you out. The treatment step is the step that will show the most results! Here are a few paragraphs explaining aging of the skin, just past that is a description of the available Avon products, what they do, and why they do that! The ingredients (and what they do) can be found on my "Skincare Ingredient Definitions" guide. On average these products will last 3 months.
Skincare aging is primarily caused by three things. The first is Oxidation. Most people have heard of free radicals. The chemistry behind this (in a nutshell) is when we metabolize energy we create O molecules. Normal oxygen is an O2 molecule. The O molecule has a "free" electron. There are many studies that show that this may be one of the biggest reasons we age - and not just in our skin. Certain vitamins (commonly called antioxidants) help combat this process. It does not slow it down! We can't do that - we will constantly produce free radical oxygens. What it does is it uses the free radicals that are there so there are less in your system. Think of it like raking your lawn. Doing so will get rid of some of the leaves, but it won't stop the tree from dropping them, and no matter what it seems like there is always more on the ground. Vitamin A, E, and C are important antioxidants. The best thing to do is ingest these - through a vitamin or food. Orange juice is great, try to drink a glass a day! High concentrations of antioxidants can be applied to the skin to reduce age spots.
The second is Photo-Aging. This is caused by UVB and UVA rays. Sunscreen is the best for this category - but that is only preventative. When you get a sunscreen get one with Parsol 1789 in it, which also protects from UVA rays. Most sunscreens only protect against UVB. UVB rays will cause you to burn and are linked to cancer. UVA rays penetrate deeper so they are the ones that cause aging. Tanning booths use mostly UVA rays. You won't burn, they will always tell you that they don't use "the type of rays that cause cancer", but they will definitely cause skin aging. Combating photo-aging that is already there is done with high concentrations of antioxidants (high is 7-12%, higher than that will hurt your skin) and processes that help exfoliate the skin (laser and microdermabrasion for example).
The third big one is moisture loss or low humidity (winter). If your skin is dry the wrinkles will be very noticable. When it is moisturized they will plump out. The biggest mistake made here is by people who had oily or normal skin when they were younger. Your skin changes with age and with the season. Many people are afraid to try a stronger moisturizer because it caused acne when they were younger or just felt too thick. It will not be thick anymore because your skin will "soak" it up sooner (it just sat on the upper layer before). "Normal" skin at age 16 is completely different than "normal" at 40 (and everything in between!). We get so stuck on those classifications that we forget that part!
- Drinking fluids, sleeping, smoking, smog, and heredity are also aging factors.
Anti-aging Products (Whole Face):
- ANEW Alternative - For advanced signs of aging. Glycation-reversing technology reverses damage done by glycation (glycation causes wrinkles and sagging), eastern healing herbs stimulates skins healing abilities. Retails for $32
- ANEW Clinical Line and Wrinkle Corrector - For moderate to advanced signs of aging (pronounced lines/wrinkles, noticable discolorations, lack of firmness, loss of elasticity). Contains Derma-3X Technology. Retails for $32
- ANEW Retroactive+ Skin Optimizer - For advanced signs of aging, skin instantly looks refined. Hydroxy acid free formula that contains papaya extracts & optical diffusers that blur imperfections Retails for $22
- Dramatic Firming Cream for Face & Throat - Skin feels noticably firmer, toned, & supple. Elasticity and resiliency are improved. Boosts natural moisture. Retails for $8.50
- ANEW Clinical Deep Crease Concentrate with Bo-Hylurox - for deep expression lines around the forehead, eyes, & mouth. Only apply on the target areas. Contains Portulaca, pomegranite, hyaluronic acid, & olive leaf extract. Suitable for sensitive skin. Retails for $32.00
- ANEW Line Eliminator Dual Retinol Facial Treatment - PM, fine lines immediately less apparent, deeper lines reduced, also diminishes skin discoloration. Contains retinol, comfrey extract, & vitamin C. Retails for $16.00
- ANEW Neo Retinol Line Plumper SPF 15 - AM. Retails for $16.00
- ANEW Clinical 2 Step Facial Peel - Use every other day. Intense exfoliation, skin feels softer, appears smoother, refines clarity, unclogs pores. Continued use diminishes discolorations, blotchiness, & dramatically smoothes skin's appearance even sun-damaged. Works great on large pores/blackheads. 2 steps. Step 1 contains 10% glycolic acid, papaya & pineapple extract. Step 2 contains green tea, cucumper, chamomile, marine, & shitake mushroom extracts. Retails for $32.00
- ANEW Clinical Micro-Exfoliant - Use every other day, not on the same day as the facial peel. Refines, retexturizes, & improves clarity. Contains aluminum oxide microbead exfoliants (the same as professional microdermabrasion treatments), mallow extract, wheat flour lipids, avocado oil (skin softeners), Vitamin C, & Panthenol. Great for large pores/blackheads. Retails for $32.00
- Banishing Cream Skin Discoloration Lightener - gradually fades discoloration. Contains hydroquinone. Retails for $8.50
- ANEW Clinical Laser System - gets rid of dark spots, slight redness, or broken capillaries. Apply only to the affected area. Contains Mangostin extract, 10% Vitamin C, licorice, & flavanoids. 2 Steps, apply at night. Retails for $32.00
- ANEW Luminosity Ultra - clears skin and works on ethnic skin types. Targets age spots & discoloration at the cellular level. Freckles will also fade. Eliminates dark circles under the eye. Contains Diamonex Plus Technology which allows for faster results. Retails for $22.00
- 10% Vitamin C Serum - helps sun damaged skin, reduces discoloration. Retails for $20.00
On the the third step!