Secrets of getting the best deal on Ink & Toner
When it comes down to it, what we all want is ink or toner cartridges that satisfy our needs at the best possible price. So, that is what this guide will help you find. We will try to help you avoid making a mistake when purchasing compatible/generic/OEM(Genuine) or remanufactured cartridges.
In our years on eBay, these are the first things we learned. Read carefully and these tips could save you many headaches.
- Make sure you read the full item description! (Don’t make any assumptions about what you are supposed to receive until you’ve read the entire item description. If there is anything that leaves you with a question in your mind, ask it by using the “ask seller a question” link under the seller’s profile.
- Don’t assume that you will receive what is in the picture! (this goes back to read the full item description) You may see a picture of an OEM boxed cartridge, but the seller states in the description that you will receive a remanufactured cartridge.
- Read the seller’s feedback! Does the seller have a large number of feedback from selling ink and/or toner? Look for neutral/negative feedback and see what complaints others have.
- Make sure you figure the shipping costs into the price of the item. Often people don’t consider shipping into the total cost of the item and end up paying more than might have if they took this into consideration.
- Look for sellers that offer a guarantee that you believe is reasonable. If a seller will not take returns…..why?
So.....What Ink/Toner do "You" need?
If you are looking to print archival quality professional prints…..Buy OEM cartridges without question. If that’s what you’re looking for, here are some cautions and tips:
- Many of the OEM cartridges offered on eBay are past the expiration date on the Manufacturer’s box. They may print fine…you will have to decide if the savings are worth the risk.
- Many printers come with “starter” cartridges. They do not have as much ink in them as the retail boxed cartridges. Sellers may and may not know this….If it is not a boxed cartridge, take this into consideration.
- Many sellers that sell new OEM cartridges on eBay do not do so by auction. If you have found a seller for ink/toner that you like, look in their eBay store for your OEM needs.
- Search stores.ebay.com to find great deals that are not at auction. Use “OEM” or “Genuine” in the search to narrow your results
For the rest of us that want great quality everyday prints, but aren’t concerned if what we print fades in “years” to come. You will definitely want the savings offered by compatible or remanufactured cartridges. Here are some cautions and tips in your search for compatible and remanufactured cartridges:
- Compatibles - look for products that are ISO 9001 certified.
- Compatibles - look for cartridges containing ink manufactured in the US.
- Remanufactured – Quality can vary depending on the steps taken by the remanufacture. The seller’s feedback should answer whether the quality is good or not.
To get more information on OEM/Remanufactured/Compatible cartridges, read the following article: Comparing OEM/Compatible/Reman