Occasionally a buyer will register with eBay for the sole purpose of leaving you negative feedback. This is against eBay policy, falling squarely under eBay's definition of Feedback Abuse.
Unfortunately, successfully petitioning a Feedback Abuse claim is a long and inefficient process, because a given user's motive is difficult to prove.
However, a buyer who has registered with eBay specifically to make your life miserable is very likely to use false contact information when registering. And we can use this tendency to our advantage!
As such, the following procedure is a handy shortcut.
Yes, it's a two-step process with eight substeps each, and it does take ten days or so to reach completion. This may not seem like much of a shortcut, but it's a much more direct route to getting the feedback removed than going through the usual red-tape tangle of trying to prove motive.
1. Click on "HELP"
2. Click on "A-Z Index"
3. Click on "C"
4. Click on "Contacting Your Seller" [NOTE: Yes, SELLER not BUYER]
5. Click on "request additional contact information"
6. Enter user ID of buyer
7. Enter item number
8. Click on "SEARCH"
An email will be sent to you which provides the buyer's contact information. Verify the phone number. If the phone number proves to be false, proceed to Step II.
1. Sign into your PowerSellers area
2. Click on "email support"
3. Click on "To request removal of a feedback, contact us"
4. Enter item number
5. Enter user ID of member who RECEIVED feedback [NOTE: this is YOUR OWN ID]
6. Choose the removal reason from dropdown menu:
"Was left by user with false contact information"
7. Type the following into the "enter your concern" field:
"Hi, this user provided false contact information. I would like their feedback removed. Thanks!"
8. Click on SEND
Feedback will automatically be removed within 10 days of the completion of steps I and II.