Signature Mesh Polo
1967 - Where it all began
Ralph Lauren establishes the Polo label with an instantly successful line of ties. In direct opposition to the narrow ties and conventional styles of the time, Lauren designs wide, handmade ties using unexpected, flamboyant, opulent materials. The ties quickly become a menswear status item.
“A tie was the way a man expressed himself. I believed that men were ready for something new and different. They didn’t want to look as if they worked for IBM. A beautiful tie was an expression of quality, taste, style.”
Already interested in promoting a lifestyle with his ties, Ralph Lauren names his line after a sport that embodies a world of discreet elegance and classic style: Polo.
We (Polo) do not own or operate any manufacturing facilities and therefore depend upon independent third parties for the manufacture of all our products. Our products are manufactured to our specifications by both domestic and international manufacturers. During fiscal 2003, approximately 5%, by dollar value, of our mens and womens products were manufactured in the United States and approximately 95%, by dollar value, of these products were manufactured in Hong Kong and other foreign countries.
We contract for the manufacture of our products and do not own or operate any production facilities of our own. Over 290 different manufacturers worldwide produce our apparel products. Polo grants its product licenses the right to manufacture and sell at wholesale specified categories of products under one or more of its trademarks. The Company's licenses have 3 to 5 year terms and may grant the licenses conditional renewal options.
(Some) Countries of Manufacture, Past and Present
Sri Lanka, Philippines, Hong Kong, Bolivia, Northern Mariana Islands, USA, Indonesia, India, Peru, China, Columbia, Mexico, Korea, El Salvador, Singapore, Jamaica, Mauritius and others.
Signature Mesh Polo
Mens RN #41381 ~ Womens RN # 94306 ~ Boys RN #113338
1. MATERIAL: Ralph Lauren uses 100% pure COTTON. Pure cotton fades the very first time you wash it.
2. LOGO: Ralph Lauren logos are tightly embroidered using strong, polished thread. The colors in the logo do not run. There should not be a space down the middle of the horse (between the horse's shoulder and rider's left leg). Inside out, you can see it is sewn onto a little piece of white mesh. The rider is looking to his right and holding the mallot in his right hand. You cannot see the fabric through the logo.
3. STITCHING: Ralph Lauren uses the same color thread as the material. The length of the stitch is short, to give the appearance of "being less noticable". If you see stitching that is long and loose, be wary.
4. LABELS: All labels are made of two-toned spun NYLON. The collar label when turned inside out is all nylon threads (stringy) running vertically; if there's no loose threads, it's probably fake. If there is a paper-ish label in the side seam with ink printing, it's definately a fake.
MFG. COLLAR LABEL
Three (3) navy nylon labels -The Mfg. label is stitched on two sides. The size label is added on it's left side, and sewn on right-side up (RN # can be found on back). Under the Mfg. label is a third label with place of manufacture & 100% cotton, folded in half, and stitched in (sometimes, the RN # is on back).
CARE SIDE LABEL
Navy or white nylon care label sewn in the left side seam. This label is folded in half and stitched in. On the front is care instructions, and on the back is a number or more instructions.
5. BUTTONS: Small cream-colored pearlesque buttons. NOT WHITE! They are also recessed meaning they have a shallow part in the middle of the button. When running your finger over the top of the button, you should not feel sharp edges. Polo buttons are polished smooth. Buttons are four-holed and sewn on using a "cross" stitch (an "x" stitch).
Collar Label Side Label Real Pony Fake Pony
Signature Mesh Polo(classic/custom)
What is Mesh?
Knitted or woven fabric with an open weave producing a characteristic screenlike effect. Mesh provides lightweight, breathable coverage that makes it an ideal choice for warm-weather dressing.
What makes Polo Ralph Lauren’s polo shirts special?
Our polo shirts carry a logo that has represented quality for four decades. Beyond that, our signature cotton mesh polo is fashioned from a durable yet comfortable woven cotton mesh that gets better with each washing. Then there’s the uneven vented hem, longer in back than in front, so the shirt stays tucked in. There’s also the special knit-rib collar and cuffs, which not only make for that traditional polo construction, but also don’t become wavy with repeated washings. Tubular taping inside the shirt, across the shoulders and along the neckline provides reinforcement in high-stress areas.
The buttons are beveled for ease of fastening, they’re highly polished to suggest quality and cross-stitched to keep them where they belong. And the buttonholes are horizontal, which helps to keep buttons buttoned. And finally, we size the pieces of the shirt appropriately. Polo has pieces graded to each size shirt. That means a medium-size shirt gets a medium collar and sleeves and a large shirt gets a large collar and sleeves. The vented hem typically is 1-1/2" longer in the back.
What are the different fits in polo shirts?
Fit is always important, whether it’s about comfort or style. Ralph Lauren polo shirts for men are designed in two fits: classic and custom-fit.
1. The classic polo, Style #2130294, is cut with a full body and generously proportioned shoulders and sleeves. Originally designed as a knit sports jersey for tennis, rowing and of course, polo, the classic is a perfect fit for active lifestyles. Longer shirt = longer button placket. The logo is aligned at the button placket.
2. The custom-fit polo, Style #2130297, is tailored for a slimmer, more modern silhouette. Trimmer in the chest with higher armholes and shorter in the front, back and sleeves by approximately 1.5 inches, it’s a chic alternative to the classic polo. Shorter shirt = shorter button placket. The logo is aligned below the button placket.
Signature Mesh Polo
Custom Fit (slim cut) Classic Fit (regular cut)
Polo Customer Care Center
Email – CustomerAssistance at RalphLauren dot com
Call a Customer Service Representative at – 888-475-7674