Collecting Certified vs. Uncertified coins
Coin collecting is a passions shared by all age groups, however there are different groups or people that prefer one over the other. This is sometimes due to budget constraints or sometimes due to investment potential (though we do not recommend you use coins for investment purposes) and some for the shear pleasure of being able to handle a small piece of history.
Certified Coin collectors usually like collecting for a couple of main reasons:
1. The coin has been graded and is backed up with a guarantee and authenticity (if the certifying company offers a guarantee.)
2. The coin is protected from most environments as it is incased in secure slabs.
3. A certified coin usually, has a serial number that can be tracked with the company it was certified with.
Collectors of Raw Coins usually collect for these reasons:
1. The tactile experience in holding a small piece of history between your fingers.
2. The collector is able to house them in albums or holders of their choosing.
3. Raw coins are easier to photograph, if you are selling them.
Basically is comes down to what you love and find passionate about the hobby and what you are able to afford.