When a dreary rainy day rolls around and everyone has to stay indoors, here are some fun ideas that will ward off the boredom:
1. Put on a play. Have the kids dress up in imaginative ways and then let them put on a play for everyone. You can also let them build backdrops to paint, and even write their own play before acting it out.
2. Let the kids play in the kitchen (remember to supervise them). Let them be chef for a day and prepare lunch or just a snack using kid-friendly recipes.
3. Build a fort. You can use old cardboard boxes or drape blankets or sheets across clothesline from one part of the room to another. Let the kids have a picnic in their fort.
4. Let the kids create their own board game. All you need is cardboard for the board, some paint for the board, an old set of dice and let the kids go from there to see what they can create.
5. Make up a story and let each child make up the rest of it. The endings can get truly wacky.
6. Make bird feeders from pinecones using peanut butter and rolling them in birdseed.
7. Have a clue hunt. Make up a clue that will lead the children to the next clue, and so on until they find the prize.
8. If it's cold outside, make hot chocolate and then let the kids pick out their favorite book to read. Either you can read it to them, or let them read to you.
9. Let the kids write their own book. They can use the computer to print it out and even create a cover page with illustrations.
10. Let them make masks using tissue paper, paper plates, feathers, beads, anything. You can also make masks by using plaster bandages.
11. Play pretend games, let the children pretend to be a cowboy, police officer, doctor, nurse, teacher, or anything that they can create.