Looking for a pair of pajamas, but not sure how to go about it? Check out this simple and helpful guide and learn what you need to know before you shop!
Types of Sleepwear
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has strict fire safety requirements, so sleepwear usually falls under one of three basic types:
- Snug-fitting cotton: Cotton is the most comfortable fabric choice, but is not flame-resistant, which is why it must be snug. You get lots of choices for colors and patterns, but not as many for style and cut.
- Loose-fitting polyester: Polyester is a man-made fabric, and doesn’t “breathe” like cotton does, but it is flame retardant and gives you more style and design choices.
- Treated cotton: By far the best option, it offers a natural fabric that breathes well and is also flame retardant so doesn’t have to be snug-fitting. Also the most costly, because of the treatment process.
- Loose-fitting (untreated) cotton: Does not meet CPSC requirements, and is usually marketed as “underwear” or “loungewear” instead of sleepwear. Stores that carry clothing under this category are required to keep it separate from their sleepwear lines.
Tips for Successful Pajama and Sleepwear Shopping:
Decide which type of sleepwear you want to buy for your child. Cotton is the best choice if the sleeping area is warm; otherwise polyester is a fine choice.
- If your child doesn’t like snug-fitting pajamas, you can:
- Go up a size (not as safe if near open flame)
- Stick to looser-fitting polyester
- Buy looser-fitting flame-resistant cotton
What’s a Good Price for Sleepwear?
Sleepwear tends to cost the same as a basic outfit. Prices can range from as low as $10.00 to as high as $50.00 for boutique styles.
Whether you choose something roomy and natural from a specialty designer like Sara’s Prints, or a snug-fitting item from a popular designer like The Children’s Place, be sure to check the size charts to ensure that the item fits. And once you’ve found a style and brand you like, stick with it!
If you have found this guide helpful in any way, please take a moment to vote "Yes" below! Your feedback matters to me! Thanks so much!