Shipping internationally can be a hassle:
- Private shipping companies (DHL, FEDEX, UPS, etc.) fees depend mainly on package size (dimensional weight)
- Postal service fees depend mainly on weight.
- Rates are expensive
- Customs documentation requirements can be a hassle (multiple copies of invoices, etc.)
- In the case of fraud: Very difficult and costly to get the item back
Because of these and other reasons, many Ebay sellers decide not to ship internationally. However, there is a very large market out there. With a weak dollar, US based items are considered a great deal elsewhere around the world. Especially European and Asian buyers are eager to purchase items from US sellers.
International Shipping Solution:
A decent solution for that is to use a package forwarding service. Rather than sending your item overseas directly, you ship it to a US based warehouse location. Your international customer is responsible for the forwarding of the item through the package forwarding provider (e.g. BONVU dot COM).
The advantages to you as a seller:
- Don’t have to worry about the “space saving” packaging which is so critical for international shipping
- Don’t have to worry about the paperwork needed for international shipping
- Only pay domestic rates to get the item to the US based warehouse
- Item remains in the US during additional and extensive buyer security screenings
- Item will not be sent to fraudulent customers but returned to you
The advantages for the buyer are also significant:
- Items are being inspected and re-packaged by independent third party to make sure they are in good condition.
- Items from various Ebay auctions or other online sources can be combined in one shipment
- Packages are optimized for international shipping (small size, safe packaging)
- All paperwork for customs is properly filled and included – based on information provided buy buyer
- Shipping rates are low due to high-volume discounts available to package forwarding service
- Shipping service can be selected by the buyer
- All items are properly insured