As a manufacturer of high quality interior wood plantation shutters for 20+ years. Feel free to use My Guide when purchasing shutters. It is an expensive investment. If you follow this guide you will purchase a shutter that your Grandchildren's Grandchildren will enjoy.
If you ask the seller the following questions you will be very happy in the end.
1) If the shutter is made in China, You can be pretty sure wildlife, and the environment have suffered. See Ebay's store Theshuttery for a link. Always Buy from a company that practices responsible forestry (it is your responsiblity to ask) Only shutters built in the USA need follow US law, So much of China's Products contain lead. Only USA made shutters can promise not to contain lead.
2) A shutter should be painted AFTER it is built. If a shutter is painted before it is assemble, The louver pins will not match, you will always see the silver pins and staples. Also IT A CLEAR SIGN THE SHUTTERS WAS SNAPPED TOGETHER not built to last a lifetime
3) Poplar And Basswood are the correct choice in woods. Maple or oak may seem nice but the wood is heavy and maintaining a louver that doesn't flop with the heavy weight is a constant problem.
4) Hinges should always me cut into the panel (mortised) not just screwed on. All of the hinges on your doors are mortised you shutters should also be mortised
5) shutter panels should overlap each other not just meet in the center. A rabetted (overlapped) panel should ALWAYS be used.
6) Why Buy Faux Wood? Faux, engineered Hardwood, composite are just fancy words for plastic. A good USA made shutter using properly dried basswood or poplar will NOT warp chip or peel. The Green or not properly seasoned wood coming from China is the reason we use Faux as Green wood will warp. Faux wood should be priced under $7 per square foot. It is however only about 15% less than wood. BUY WOOD SHUTTERS
7) A quality Wood Shutter should last well past your lifetime. INVEST WISELY . Usually a company will import, and all of the negatives above will apply. Buy From A responsible source, Ask the questions above. You will not be sorry!