My recent Ultimate Groovy Girls Guide contained a list of Groovy Girls names and release dates. Currently, there is no definitive archive or catalogue of all the Groovy Girls, though Manhattan Toys is tentatively planning an online album which will show the dolls in their original outfits. Quite often Groovy Girls up for auction may have a different outfit on than what was original to the doll.
This is not necessarily a detriment to the item, depending on the reason you are buying. Speaking from my own experience, my daughter is happy with any Groovy Girl no matter what clothes come with it - Verity, picked up at a consignment store, is fun even without her original Union Jack shirt and black vinyl skirt. For myself, as a would-be Groovy Girls collector if I had the funds and display room, I would only buy the dolls with their original outfits, though the attached sales tag would not be necessary for my enjoyment.
[For a guide on the features and history of Groovy Girls, sales tags vs. body tags, face types, special editions, and whether a soft cloth doll is a Groovy Girl, see The Ultimate Groovy Girls Guide.]
So you're looking at an auction and the description isn't clear, or you've picked up some Groovy Girls at a garage sale which you are reselling, but the tags are missing or so faded you can't read them. Normally the name of the doll would appear on the original sales tag or the sewn-in body tag, so you're left with questions. Who is this doll? Is this the outfit she wore when she was new? Without a visual catalogue, the only way to get to know the answers to either of those questions was to browse eBay auctions for auction dolls, Internet toy retailers who might have older stock, and studying what "clothes" the Groovy Girls Minis wear.
Until now! In recent months I have been researching Groovy Girls online at retailers and auctions, making notes of all the unique dolls I've found. So far, I've catalogued over 90 of 106 dolls on the release date list found on The Ultimate Groovy Girls Guide. There are only a handful of those for which I have no names, and perhaps 3-5 aren't in their original outfits.
Of course, publishing others' photos or linking to photos on other sites isn't legal, but writing detailed descriptions of my observations of those photos is A-Okay. I've done a lot of research and am eager to share what I've found. This supplement of detailed descriptions of the dolls and their original outfits is the result of that research.
A few notes:
- If you don't see a narrative after a doll's name, it means I haven't found it!
- A question mark indicates that I could not determine a more definite description due to picture quality or positioning of doll.
- lt, med, dk - light, medium, dark respectively, referring to skin tone, hair color, or color of clothing
- lgs - leggings
- no-slv - sleeveless
- ss, ls - short sleeved, long sleeved respectively, for shirts or dresses
- 3/4 slv - 3/4 length sleeves
- Dolls' faces through mid-2000 had a "smiley face" look. Beginning in late 2000, the faces became more refined - see The Ultimate Groovy Girls Guide for a description with pictures.
- Shoes not removable unless noted.
- Regular buyers or sellers of Groovy Girls may notice that the body tags of the dolls have a different year listed than what is on the release date list which a customer service rep at Manhattan Toys helped provide. My understanding is the doll design and copyright date may not reflect the release date.
- Descriptions subject to change as I learn more!
Kassidy - 2002
- Liza -
- Lucy - lt skin, very red hair, pink striped lgs (or pink/purple), blue shoes. Wearing pink ss shirt w/ yellow flower, denim skirt w/ pink pockets.
- Lexi - lt skin, yellow hair, red/white striped lgs, red shoes. Wearing midriff-cut 3/4 slv red shirt w/red heart and green flowered skirt.
- Lupe - lt/med skin, dk brown hair, yellow/white striped arms, blue/white striped lgs, blue shoes. Wearing pink no-slv dress w/ yellow flower on lower left hem.
- Zoe - lt skin, yellow hair, yellow/white striped lgs, purple shoes. Outfit unknown at this time.
- Zarah -
- Zane -
- Ziggy -
- Also two 19" Groovy dolls were released - Michaela, Max
2000Note: J series girls in two releases, one with the "old" faces, one with the "new" faces
- Jada -
- Jacinda - med brown skin, black hair, green lgs w/ pink polka dots, pink paisley shoes w/ pink soles. Wearing blue dress w/ pink flower on chest, green belt.
- Jayna - lt skin, yellow hair w/ two red streaks, yellow lgs w/ orange dots, green shoes w/ dk soles. Wearing midriff-cut red "Girls Rule Academy" shirt w/ orange collar, bright green shorts.
- Jordan -
- Josie - lt skin, lt brown hair, yellow-orange lgs (pattern?), black shoes. Wearing midriff-cut green shirt, blue short-sleeved shrug jacket, black and white zebra pattern skirt.
- Janisse - dk brown skin, black hair, yellow fishnet lgs, purple or dk blue shoes. Wearing lt blue shoulder-strapped dress trimmed in purple or dk blue, with green flowers at lower hemline.
- Gabi -
- Gwenn -
- Jackson -
- Jarett (boy) - lt skin w/ freckles, black hair, brown socks, black shoes. Wearing lt blue shirt w/ green lizard on chest, blue plaid ss overshirt, olive green long shorts (may be calf-length?).
- Sarita - dk skin, black hair, yellow lgs (pattern, can't tell what kind), pink ankle boots w/ lilac soles. Wearing yellow / multi-colored slveless top, purple (or denim?) skirt w/ pink fringe on V-cut hem.
- Shika - lt skin, black hair, oriental cast to eyes (I've seen pictures with round eyes, too), aqua lgs w/black star pattern, maroon velvet boots w/ purple soles. Wearing yellow V-cut 3/4 slv shirt w/ pink fringe collar, dk pink / leopard print skirt in a sheen fabric.
- Solana - med skin, dk reddish-brown corkscrew curly hair, green leggins w/ star outlines, shiny maroon? boots w/purple soles. Wearing ls pink shirt w/ lilac cuffs (ruffled?), orange wrap skirt with fringed edges.
- Siri - lt skin, lt brown straight hair, green lgs w/ blue pattern (butterflies?), leopard pattern mules. Wearing yellow shoulder-strapped dress w/ lt blue and magenta balloons, dress trimmed in magenta.
- Sesilia - lt skinned, blonde hair w/ headband, yellow leggins w/ pink polka dots, "tapestry"? mules with purple soles and turquoise strap. Wearing ss empire waist dress w/ pink square-diamond pattern outlined in green. Pink bow at front neckline.
- Sidra - lt skin, black hair in two braids and curly flyaway bangs, yellow-orange? lgs, green tennis shoes w/ blue top stripes and yellow soles. Wearing long-sleeved green shirt w/ maroon sleeves and collar and "Music"? written in blue, tourquoise ankle length skirt w/ pocket? on skirt's left side.
- Samuel (boy) - med skin w/ freckles, dk brown hair, two-toned blue tennis shoes. Wearing orange/navy ss shirt (orange panel from shoulders to ribs) and a logo of some sort on bottom of orange part on its left side, khaki knee-length shorts.
- Sean (boy) - lt skin w/ freckles, blond hair, green/white tennis shoes. Wearing royal blue hooded ls jacket w/ red/yellow written logo of some sort (couldn't read it!), green camo mid-calf shorts.
- Sasha (Posh Party Set) - lt skin, med brown hair, no leggings, detailed toes for removable shoes. Wearing pink sundress w/ shimmers and straps in darker pink, dk pink or purple sandals. Came with additional outfits, including purple leopard print skirt, fuchsia jacket and coordinating skirt?, white ss t-shirt w/purple sleeves and collar w/ kitty face, black boots.
Kyle - 2002
- Kinzey - lt skin, black hair, olive green knee socks, red shoes w/ black soles. Wearing yellow no-slv shirt w/ 3 red stars, red/black bias cut plaid skirt.
- Karly - dk skin, black hair, black/white zebra print lgs, pink/lt purple boots. Wearing silver, lilac, maroon halter dress (lilac triangles come in from the right side of the dress, maroon triangles from the left).
- Kayla - lt skin, med reddish-brown hair with small sectioned pony tail on top, fishnet stocking lgs, denim blue slide sandals w/ butterflies? on top. Wearing lt purple top w/ blue shoulder-strap sleeves and pink flower at left arm, pink skirt w/ big mostly red, some blue polka dots.
- Kami - lt skin, black hair in two pigtails, oriental cast to eyes, knee-high red boots. Wearing purple ss dress w/ red and orange outlined flower motif and black/white zebra ruffled hem.
- Kendra - med skin, black straight hair, purplish/grey lgs w/ red and purple purple paisley print, orange tennis shoes (mules?). Wearing no-slv white/orange-red leopard print shirt, dk skirt w/ red pocket accents at hips.
- Kelsey - lt skin, blonde very curly hair, blue leggings w/ small print pattern, pink/white checked shoes with lt pink soles and tops. Wearing dk maroon (purple?) off-one-shoulder no-slv shirt, lilac skirt with pink flower accents at hemline and maroon "rope" above flowers.
- Marissa Mermaid - lt skin, lt brown/orange hair w/ a few pink streaks and an aqua flower in her hair on her left. Bottom fin block of aqua, blue and navy w/ shimmers, leading to lt blue tail (striped?). Wearing bandeau bikini top aqua with darker bust, pink accent on lower hem (fringe or ruffle?).
- Kassidy (Belle Espirit set) - lt skin, dk reddish hair w/ turquoise headband, no leggings, detailed toes for removable shoes, sewn-on toe ring. Wearing lt blue sleevless dress w/ shimmers, and sheer sewn-in overdress w/ blue, silver and green polka dots, green ruffled edges, thick-soled turqoise flip flops. Second outfit in set: pink halter top w/ orange fringe, pink plaid crop pants w/ turquoise belt, pink stack slides w/ green uppers and button details. Also came with aqua colored sunglasses and purse w/ pink flowers.
- Talli - lt skin, reddish brown hair (shorter style), blue lgs w/ diamond pattern, black and white striped shoes w/ red soles. Wearing ss t-shirt w/ "Girls Rock" and guitar and collar in blue, red skirt w/ black trim at hem, waist and "zipper".
- Tomiko - lt skin, black hair, oriental cast to eyes, lt pink/hot pink fishnet lgs, yellow (lime green?) shoes w/ purple soles. Wearing maroon ss shirt w/ tie collar, red skirt w/ yellow (green?) ruffle accent, lt colored logo of some sort on right side.
- Trini - med skin, dk reddish-brown hair, yellow lgs w/ outline hearts, royal blue shoes. Wearing lt blue ss shirt w/ royal blue bow on left, green skirt w/ red, aqua and dark (black? blue?) diamonds on right.
- Kali (Fashion Blizzard set) - dk skin, black hair, no leggings, detailed toes for removable shoes. Not sure which outfit she came in, but set included a long royal blue dress w/ lt blue trim and white yoke, sandals.
- Krista (Fashion Blizzard set) - lt skin, med brown hair, no leggings, detailed toes for removable shoes. Not sure which outfit she came in, but set included dark pink sleevless top, shimmery blue pleated trumpet skirt, pink sandals w/ silver stramps and rose? accents.
- Vanessa (International series, USA) - lt skin, short curly reddish hair, blue lgs w/ white stars?, red boots w/ fringe at top. Wearing red tank top w/ US flag, denim skirt w/ red hemline trim.
- Verity (International series, UK) - lt skin, black hair w/ red streaks, fishnet stocking lgs, black vinyl boots w/ 3 buckles. Wearing Union Jack tank top, black vinyl skirt.
Victoria (International series, Canada) - lt skin, blonde hair, white lgs, silver boots w/ pink trim at top. Wearing maroon no-slv top, pink skirt w/ red maple-leaf motif above pink ruffle hem.
- Kyle (boy) - lt skin, med reddish-brown hair, black/yellow/red sneakers. Wearing black ss t-shirt w/ "Hit the Road" logo (race flag), jeans w/ cuffs.
- Kalvin (boy) - med skin, black hair, leopard print loafers. Wearing red "island style" shirt w/ orange white flames? on either side, olive long pants.
- Cicely - md skin, black hair, purple fishnet lgs, brown boots (folded cuff?) w/ orange soles. Wearing ls orange shirt w/ purple cuffs, purple plaid skirt w/ black silver buckled belt.
- Carissa - lt skin, blonde hair in 4 braids, purple lgs w/ red lips? pattern, orange/yellow shoes w/ stars on orange and purple soles. Wearing purple ss shirt dress w/ plaid collar, has "Girl 3 Academy" sports logo lower right.
- Celeste - lt skin, bright red hair, blue boots w/ purple? toe tips. Wearing white 3/4 slv "button down" shirt w/ turquoise flowers, purple skirt w/ white or silver trim.
- Reva (Sticker Snazzmatazz) - lt skin, blonde hair w/ front braid and pigtails, purple leopard print lgs, pink/orange shoes. Wearing pink "Best Friends" halter top, denim skirt w/ dk hem trim, also has blue jacket with printed collar. And stickers!
- Rochelle (Sticker Snazzmatazz) - olive skin, dk brown hair, blue lgs w/ pattern, yellow slides w/ yellow checked soles and flower on upper. Wearing lilac "Best Friends" halter top, denim or purple skirt w/ pink fringe hem trim, also has pink jacket with printed collar. And stickers!
- Bindi - olive skin, black hair in full pigtails, lt blue lgs w/ darker leopard print, high top purple/white sneakers. Wearing olive green no-slv dress w/ maroon yoke (rounded) and silver cinch belt.
- Britta - lt skin, blonde hair w/ mini buns, green knee socks, hot pink shoes w/ white straps. Wearing blue strap sleeved dress w/ large daisy print.
- Brenna - lt skin, med reddish brown hair, yellow/red fishnet lgs, black shoes w/ multi-striped soles, flower accents on upper strap. Wearing ss leopard print shirt, red skirt w/ black belt.
- Blake (boy) - lt skin, black hair (or dk brown), orange and olive? shoes. Wearing olive green cap (backwards?), maroon ls jacket (removable?) with orange olive stripes on left side and orange shirt underneath, blue long pants.
- Brandon (boy) - lt skin, yellow-blonde hair, red/white checked loafers. Wearing ls blue athletic shirt w/ black sleeves and "04", olive green pants.
- Myra Mermaid - lt skin, yellow-blond hair in pigtails w/ blue stars in ties. Bottom fin in lime green shimmer "scales" ending in lilac tail, green fringe at waist. Wearing dk pink strap sleeved shirt with yellow cinch ties. Also a neckchoker, appears aqua w/ some detail.
- Daphne - lt skin, black straight hair w/ 2 mini buns, oriental cast to eyes, fishnet lgs, orange/red polka dot shoes w/ blue straps and soles. Wearing blue/yellow/ maroon/orange sleevless dress with collar w/ blue and maroon-dotted bodice.
- Darci - lt skin, dk brown hair (w/ red streaks?), purple lgs w/ peace signs, pink/white sneakers. Wearing red/dk red (purple?) paneled strap sleeved dress w/ red at upper hem.
- Danika - golden skin, lt brown hair w/ top pony tail, red knee sock w/ purple/white top cuff and purple soles/accets (could be boots?). Wearing midriff-cut blue no-slv vinyl shirt w/ purple at shoulders, red skirt w/ yellow and purple writing (can't determine the words).
Also see The Ultimate Groovy Girls Guide.