Laminate flooring is a floating floor system- meaning it is designed to cover any subfloor surface without being fixed to it. This makes it possible to cover almost any subfloor- from linoleum to vinyl, ceramic to hardwood, and of course concrete and plywood subfloors. However, for successful laminate flooring installation you must judge whether the subfloor meets the following requirements:
1. Subfloor must be clean: Be sure to sweep or vacuum your subfloor well before installation- you need a clean and debris-free work area. If you have carpet in your room, remove it along with the padding. Carpet padding is not acceptable for laminate flooring installation. In rooms with vinyl floors (in good condition), you can install laminate flooring right on it.
2. Subfloor must be free of defects: Subfloor must be in good repair and free of any major defects such as loose boards, nails, and squeaks due to improper installation of plywood joints. If you have noticed problems, you may want to fix them before the installation.
3. Subfloor must be level: Subfloor level variations should not exceed 1/8" in 8'. Use level or straightedge to check for variations. Fix any unevenness-all high spots must be sanded or ground and fill all low spots and cracks.
4. Subfloor must be dry: Never install laminate flooring on a subfloor with a drain or moisture problem. When installing over new cement subfloor check for the moisture content to insure that the conxrete us fully cured. You have to use vapor underlayment on mineral subfloors (concrete, plaster, terrazzo, etc.) with infusion-inhibiting PE sheeting with a minimum thickness of 0.2mm overlapping 20cm at the edges.
5. Subfloor must be structurally solid: Subfloor must be able to support normally expected loads without deflection.
6. Select right underlayment: Cover the subfloor with proper underlayment . Roll out the foam perpendicular to the direction of the flooring. Bestlaminate.net has a wide selection of laminate underlayment - select the right one, use above recommendations and you are all set to start your installation.