Selecting a bra may seem like a simple process; something you’ve done many times over. But getting a comfortable fitting maternity/nursing bra is slightly different from fitting a regular bra.
During and after pregnancy, your breasts undergo numerous changes. They are enlarging and becoming heavier and more sensitive. So, for late pregnancy and after delivery, choosing a bra that provides proper support can help you feel more comfortable and less fatigued.
When shopping for a maternity/nursing bra, keep in mind these important considerations to ensure that you select the one that best meets your individual needs:
- Select a bra with convenient, easy access to the breast that allows for skin-to-skin contact when you nurse your baby.
- A bra with a one-hand cup opening can be very helpful, especially when you’re holding your baby.
- Shop for a maternity/nursing bra during the final weeks of your pregnancy, because your breasts are continually changing as you near your due date. Doing so will ensure you select one that will fit adequately after your baby is born.
- Avoid trying to find a bra that leaves too much room for future growth; it will not give you proper support now. You may have to choose a bra that fits well now, knowing that you may need to change to another size later on.
- A four-station back closure will offer optimum comfort as well as the most flexibility in fit.
- Wide, cushioned, non-stretch shoulder straps will provide support without digging into your shoulders.
- Health care professionals recommend buying two or three maternity/nursing bras, so you can have a fresh, clean bra every day.
Because of widely differing body shapes, sizes and breast shapes, as well as styles of bras available, when shopping for a maternity/nursing bra, it is highly recommended that you are fitted by a specialist in bra fitting. This will ensure the best possible fit, comfort and support from your bra. Please remember these key points and take advantage of the expertise of the sales staff where you shop.
NOTE: If you have found this guide useful, please let us know by responding to the question below. This will improve the visibility of this guide for others. ALSO, please check out other guides by mom-and-baby-shop.