Home and Garden Help
Caring for Western Red Cedar Furniture
Western Red Cedar is an amazing species and is a perfect choice for outdoor furniture. It is naturally resistant to bugs and insects, and its natural resins keep it from rotting. With that being said you might choose to take a couple of extra steps to take extra good care of your investment.
Western Red Cedar ages very well, and it will turn a great looking silver with streaks of darker wood throughout. Below are methods of further preserving your furniture but not are not absolutely necessary.
1. If you decide to stain your furniture, we recommend using a transparent or solid stain exterior stain such as Sikkens Cetol 1 with with UV inhibitor.
2. For general cleanliness, wash with a mild detergent and rinse with a water hose. Do not use a pressure washer as it can damage the wood!
3. Every couple of years you may want to LIGHTLY sand your furniture to bring it back to its natural color. Use a very light sand paper, sand with the grain, and don't overdo it! A little sanding can go a long way!
4. Painting the cedar can be done, but not recommended as the paint will chip and blister.
5. Do not use wood oil on the cedar as it collect dirt and dust floating in the air.
6. Removing spills or stains can be done with a very mild bleach and water solution and a soft rag.
7. Moving your furniture inside a garage or shed when winter weather sets in is also recommended to keep your furniture looking great for years!
Collegiate Western Red Cedar Adirondack Chairs Outdoor Patio Garden Furniture
Buy It Now