Protect Your Pearls
Quality pearls can last for generations if properly cared for.
Pearls are organic gems and are meant to be worn. Celebrate your pearls by making them your No. 1 accessory.
- Store pearls in a soft cloth sack, separate from metals.
- Clean pearls by wiping with a soft cloth after wearing.
- Wash occasionally in mild soapy water to rid pearls of harmful acidic oils and perspiration.
- Have pearls restrung periodically -- once every two years if worn frequently. Be sure they are restrung on silk with a knot between each pearl to prevent chafing and to guard against pearl loss if the strand should tear.
- Prevent pearls from cracking and peeling by storing themin a
humid atmosphere. If stored in a closed area, place a glass of water
next to them.
- Do not wear pearls in chlorinated water.
- Do not clean pearls with chemical cleansers or allow them to come into contact with ammonia or bleach.
- Do not allow perfume or hairspray to diffuse on pearls.
- Do not clean pearls in an ultrasonic cleaner.
GIA Pearl Gemologist
Maurice Goldman Fine & Estate Jewelry