I had a really hard time buying clothing online when I first started purchasing on ebay. Sizes were always different, and I never really knew if my most recent purchase was going to fit right. I finally figured out what to do, and It's been smooth sailing ever since. So here are a few guidelines to follow when buying clothing online!
1. Start in your closet!! If you're buying jeans, grab a pair of jeans in your closet that fit you GREAT!! We all have a favorite pair of jeans, and you will need them for reference. If you are purchasing slacks/dress pants, grab a pair of slacks that fit you well...or something with a similar fabric content, in some cases lounge pants will work. For t-shirts, get a t-shirt, and so on and so on....
2. Take your item from your closet and study the fabric content, I will use jeans as the example today. Are they 100% cotton? or 99% cotton, 1% spandex? Believe it or not, these are two very different fits!
3. Measure your item! Lay the garment flat and measure the waist straight across and double the number, then measure the hips straight across and double the number. Don't forget about the rise and the inseam, it is very important. The rise is the measurement from the crotch seam up to the top of the waist in front! The lower your jeans sit on your waist...the larger the waist measurement will be. Example: If you purchase a sz 16 jeans that are low rise, the waist measurement will be larger than a sz 16 with a standard rise. The inseam is measured from the crotch seam to the bottom hem.
4. Once you have all your measurements and are aware of the fabric content that compliments you, it is time to shop! While you are shopping compare the information you have to the information in the listing and get as close as possible. Check other sizes if you cannot find a match, not all brands are created equal.
5. If you have any questions about this guide, please feel free to ask!