For those of us with vision impairment, it can be hard to find our way around a large site like eBay. But as I began to search, I found some tools that really helped. I've used them to develop a guide to help others.
The Audio Tours from the Learning Center are a great place to start. Open a new browser window to eBay.com. Click on the Learning Center link located at the bottom of the right column under Helpful Links. Look for the row of blue buttons, grab your earphones, and let's get started!
How to Register -- Registration is the first step for buying or selling on eBay.
- Browse or Search
- Bid or Buy
- How to find help on eBay
- Selecting, bidding, buying, and paying for an item
- eBay's buyer policies, how to prevent problems, and what to do if problems occur
- Cursor moves to show where to find the information as the audio explains.
What if I get lost?
Those of us who struggle to read need some secure landmarks. You can find markers to help at the top of each page.
Home -- Your Home on eBay is at the top left. Click Home from the browser window you opened to eBay's Learning Center now. The link back to the Learning Center is at the bottom of the right column.
- Reviews & Guides -- You'll find more guides like this at Reviews & Guides under Specialty Sites at the top left.
- Search and Categories -- If you took the 1st Audio Tour, How does eBay work?, you'll remember the Search box and Categories. These are explained more thoroughly in the Buying with Confidence Audio Tour.
- Community -- The next best thing to Home is a Community where you feel safe. In the eBay Community, you'll find:
- Discussions and Groups
- Chat Rooms
- Calendar of Events
- Safety & Resolution Center
- The Town Hall
- Help -- Ask for directions when you are lost. Click the Help tab at the top right. First you'll find Top questions about eBay. Scroll down for a list of help topics that are easy to find and just a click away.
- eBay Acronyms -- You find an item you'd like to bid on. The the letters "NIB" and "NR" are in the title of the item. What does this mean? Click eBay Acronyms (from the left menu of the Help page) now to find out.
- eBay Glossary -- Explains both terms and symbols used throughout eBay. Assignment: Click the eBay Glossary link now (from the help page) to find out what the symbol stands for. You'll find my page link at the top right of this page.
- Learning Center -- You've discovered this already.
- eBay University -- eBay Courses that come to a town near you!
- Security Center -- Very important, brief and easy to read. Don't miss it!
- About Customer Support -- How to contact eBay.
- Community Answer Center -- Q&A forums for eBay members about eBay.
- Policies -- Of course, you'll want to play by the eBay Rules. The eBay Policies page link is at the bottom of every page. This is the hardest section for me to read and it may be so for you also. Here are some tips:
- Look at the link titles to see what is there, then click the Rules for Everyone link.
- You'll find more links. Some titles, such as Profanity, provide a clue: If you don't use profanity, or sell items that use profanity, you probably won't break this rule.
- Other rules require a click to understand. Read the first sentence or two. Skim through the item. Find someone to read the details to you if you necessary.
- Some sections won't apply to you now. You can bypass these until you need them.
My eBay -- This top tab will quickly become your second home on eBay.
- Watch an item -- Click the Watch this item link near the top center of the item's page. Now click the My eBay tab, and you'll find a thumbnail photo (if available) and link, current bids, time remaining, and more.
- Announcements & Reminders -- My eBay is where you'll find general eBay announcements, and be reminded of transactions you need to complete such as feedback and payments.
- The left menu of My eBay provides links to all the personalized pages and info you've provided to eBay.
- My eBay at a glance -- you'll find this synopsis of your My eBay page at the top right corner of your eBay home page.
- Buy -- To shop, click the Buy tab. When you're ready to bid or buy
- Go to the Learning Center and review Buying Overview and Buying with Confidence if you need to.
- Now click How to Buy. This is the second link at the top of the left menu in the Learning Center. How to Buy provides a brand new section of Courses and Audio Tours!
- How to buy
- Successful Searching
- How to Pay for your item
- Tracking with My eBay
- Sell -- Ready to sell on eBay? Click the third link at the top of the left menu in the Learning Center. How to Sell provides more great Courses and Audio Tours. Advanced Selling (the fourth link of the top left menu of the Learning Center) takes you even deeper.
Pay -- Get into the habit of paying for an item immediately after your purchase. Isn't that what you will want others to do when you sell on eBay?
- How to Pay for your item under the How to Buy link of the Learning Center provides an easy to follow demonstration.
- Feedback -- Not paying on time will get you bad feedback, and your feedback is your reputation in the eBay community. Earn good feedback by treating others as you would want to be treated.
- About Feedback -- From the Learning Center, click About Feedback. Skim this page.
- Click Understanding feedback in the right column for an overview of the eBay feedback system.
- Reputation - eBay Feedback: Overview under Related Topics at the bottom of the Understanding Feedback page shows how feedback affects reputation.
- Messages -- This works like an email area for communication with eBay and the eBay community. The link to your Message folder is in the left menu of My eBay.
- Site map -- Sometimes you try to follow the directions and still can't find what you're looking for. You need a map. The site map link at the top of each page provides a well-organized overview of eBay.
Now that you know your way around...
You'll soon discover that eBay has many great choices for those of us with less than optimal eyesight. Here are some examples:
- Audiobooks -- Discover Audio Books! Read while you walk, drive, work, or play.
- DVDs & Movies -- A large screen TV and a good movie may be just the answer!
- Audio Tours -- Love to learn or travel? Take a guided tour.
- Vision Care -- Find reading glasses, frames, magnifying glasses, cases, more...
- MP3 Players & Accessories -- Find an Ipod or other mp3 or mp4 player.
- Music CDs -- eBay has music to suit your taste!
What's your passion? Whether it is coin collecting, model airplanes, home decor, cooking, scrapbooking, scuba diving, or photography, eBay's got it covered. Now that you know how, it's time to go bargain-shopping at eBay! Have fun!