DISPLAYING YOUR WATCH PURCHASE
(Please take a moment at the conclusion to vote for this guide. We enjoy creating these to offer our fellow eBayers information that is hard to find elsewhere, and ask in return only that you place a vote so that we know they are well received. Positive votes encourage us to continue with additional guides.)
So, you've decided to collect character watches! This is a great hobby and one that can give you years of enjoyment. Taking care of your investment is vital in order to keep up the value of your pieces. This guide can assist you in displaying your valuable collection safely and securely, and minimize the detrimental effects of environmental and other factors.
If possible, keep your watch display behind glass or plastic to minimize damage from dust and other airborne contaminants.
If you decide that it's not important that the watch be running and keeping time while on display, make sure that you have the battery removed in order to minimize damage from leaking battery acid.
Always leave the watch fastened at the loosest possible notch. Tightening the strap causes tension that will ultimately result in stretching and cracking of the band and possible damage to the buckle. If possible, leave the watch unfastened and lying flat if it's made of leather.
Do not display your stand and watch set where it is sitting directly in sunlight or artificial light. The colors of the watch stand and watch dial as well as fabric bands will fade over time.
Keep displays away from radiators, vents, or other sources of concentrated heat and/or cold. If you live in an area with frigid winters, a small humidifier in the room can temper the effects of dry heat. A little goes a long way; do not use excessively or the humidity can alternately damage your timepieces.
If your watches are displayed in a high traffic area you might want to consider purchasing a locked display case to minimize damage to your items. Collectible watches and stands are bright and attractive, and draw plenty of unwanted attention that can lead to accidents with children and pets.
One great way to display your watches is using an original store display stand that can be found on auction sites, specialty websites, or antique or collectible watch vendors. Some examples include:
- vintage Coca Cola look fabulous displayed in an original Coke vending machine-style display case that's lockable and keeps the watches free from damaging dust and light.
- Snoopy watch sets look dazzling on original Snoopy "doghouse" stands, where each doghouse style collectors box fits precisely into one of several slots.
- Harry Potter watches can be displayed in an original stunning SII Harry Potter watch case, which can come with lock and key.
- Lorus and Seiko made many different display cases for their Disney Mickey Mouse and other watches, which are available in many different sizes and can be found on auction sites and watch collector websites.
- Bradley manufactured a few display stands that are avidly sought today by collectors, including one with a "nodding head" Mickey and a smaller holder for watches with a storage space underneath to hold some of the original watch boxes.
- Vintage Ingersoll display cases are found on some auction sites, which are great for displaying vintage Mickey Mouse watch sets.
- Armitron Voice Watch models were originally displayed in a clear plastic case with the Voice Watch logo and a button at the bottom that played several of the sound bites available on the watch models.
We hope this guide has been of use to you. Please remember to vote if it has been helpful by clicking on the YES box below. Thank you for your vote!
Check out our additional guides on character watch collecting and other topics: